PDA

View Full Version : Important 05 Polo 130 GT Airbag failure

JVOB
30-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Having recently had a serious accident in my car where the standard fit low profile tyre hit a rock and burst sending me instantly into the drystone wall close on my near side and where the same wheel (now deflated) was driven back to the bulhead by an imovable wall..whereapon the car pitchpoled onto it's roof and then rolled onto its offside. (collision speed about 40 mph). It was only subsequently that I realized that NOT ONE of THE MANY AIRBAGS HAD DEPLOYED..?? Luckily I wasn't hurt, but the car was sadly a complete write off.

I am now very concerned for other owners with the fact that this level of failure should even be possible?? Also the vunerability of the standard fit low profile tyres in a roughish countryside environment, (4 good front tyres in two years), I don't think is an acceptable rate and where VW won't sanction an alternative specifaction.."as it would invalidate my warranty".

JVOB

Fourbears
08-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your crash and I hope you're ok. With regard to the airbag (non)deployment, from your description it sounds as though none of the sensors were triggered, due to where the wheel struck the car. Also in a rollover, airbags are rarely deployed as the sensors are in the front bumpers and the panels next to the doors. If these are not struck, no deployment! I know that this may sound strange but I think that they are designed not to deploy to prevent serious or fatal injuries as you are thrown around the car in a different manner to that in a 'normal' collision as airbags are designed to cushion your forward movement.

zollaf
08-04-2009, 09:39 PM
you are indeed very lucky not to have been hurt. i dread to think what could have happened had you been driving a lesser, not so well designed and built car. your polo seems to have saved you in this instance. without knowing exactly what the circumstances were, i.e. size of rock etc. its hard to comment, but hitting something like that, most tyres i think would be damaged and possibly result in a similar outcome. i myself hit a curb in a landrover with massive tyres, resulting in the sidewall being ripped out. luckily i didnt crash that time.

zf44
09-04-2009, 08:23 AM
I agree with others - you are very lucky 'to tell the tale'. I share your concerns, I owned a Polo Dune with 17" low profile tyres and I always questioned the stability of the car. I have noticed after owning a number of Polos that they all suffer from front tyre wear very badly regardless of the size of the wheel. With the Dune, it was always pulling to the left and after a number of visits to the dealer I never received a satisfactory explanation.