PDA

View Full Version : Question Avant B8 Load Bay Cover

timpe
30-03-2009, 02:58 PM
When the load bay cover lip is knocked, this allows the cover to run up the side slots and automatically raise itself out fo the way. Nice idea.
My problem is that this also dislodges the mail reel unit behind the rear seats and it comes out of its locations in the side and under the tension winds itself up towards the rear door. Not a very good idea!

I have checed the side location pins which can retract for removal, and this appear to be fully extended and the mechanism si working fine to retract. The problem seems to be that the pins dont quite extend far enough to locate fully in the side panel holes, so allowing the whole unit to move.

It is really annoying, as everytime the edge of the cover is touched when loading anything, I end up with the cover raised, but having to put back the reel housing which becomes completely dislodged.

Anyone else have the same problem / fixed it?

A1287210
30-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Are you referring to the parcel shelf?

The problem I have is loading when the parcel shelf is retracted fully, you still end up with a large flap that does not retract as it is rigid. Do you lift this up?, If you do it fills up the space behind the rear headrests, so you cannot see out of the back, or fold it down and risk damaging it with the load you are putting in the boot.......

I sometimes find myself having to remove the whole thing.

And on another point have you notice how heavy the retractable cargo net is that comes up to the roof from the rear headrests, weighs a ton, no make that a ton and a half, I'm thinking about taking it out completely, it must save some MPG!!!!

timpe
30-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Yes the parcel shelf, but I wouldnt put anything on it!

Well my problem is that it removes itself automatically. Not the best design I have come across. In my previous Volvo, they managed to include a long cavity with a lid for umbrellas etc. It was still awkard to fully remove.

Soon my cover will be removed and planted firmly in the dealer, probably the salesman that told me the rubber mats hadnt arrived when I picked up the car and that he would ring me when they arrived. Well, a month later.....

A1287210
30-03-2009, 04:44 PM
When the shelf is touched up :D it will actually hold keys, glasses etc, I often use this shelf as I change in and out of safety gear to hold all sorts of things that I need to empty out of pockets but dont want to put in the boot as I load things.

Good luck with the dealer.

jakerade
30-03-2009, 05:59 PM
when its retracted there are a couple of options,

1. use the 1 litre oil holder which has velcro on the back to hold it against the seat backs (no more mr floppy)

2. pull it out slightly then flip it over and tuck it under the rear head rests (it does vibrate slightly if they are raised though

In my opinion the layout is much worse than the B7. I also cant work out where all these increased load area figures come from as i am using my b7 load liner which fits almost perfectly and there is definitely less height in the boot!

Jop
30-03-2009, 07:16 PM
ive taken this out completely. its very cumbersome.
I have privacy glass which you can barely see in anyway and i trust the retractable mesh (may be part of storage pack) to protect my passengers and I from any flying objects in the event of a collision.
Unlike A128 I think the retractable net is very practical, yes its pretty heavy but i rarely need to move it and when I do it only takes few seconds. I also like the way it clips on to the rear of the back seat when they are down flat.