PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Diesel engine cut out

Malvern_Jim
30-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Has anyone else had this intermittent problem?

It has occurred on both B6 Passats I have had (2005 140 Sport and 2007 170 Sport) but the dealers deny having heard of this fault even though one of their driver’s experienced it on his way to take it for its last service (in this case as he had just started off they put it down to a cold engine – which it is not). It occurs at low speeds usually coming up to a halt where the engine just dies completely. I have to switch off and restart the engine again to get going. It leaves no error message in the ECU.

I am concerned that it could be dangerous at some point in the future and my wife now refuses to drive the car now.

Thanks for any assistance.

james_tiger_woo
30-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Have you had the fuel pump done (under recall)?

patomlin76
30-03-2009, 09:09 PM
if it's any help I had the same problem with a petrol powered focus a few years back - stalling at low revs coming up to junctions.

they solved that with a firmware update to the ECU. wonder if it's anything similar in this case...

silverman
31-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Hi. Ive posted on this forum a few times about the same thing. As you pointed out it doesnt leave a fault on the ECU! Its been to 3 different VW garages and they all say it is fine. As you also know it is bloody dangerous I dont really enjoy it cutting out half way across a junction!!!
The car also steers badly although it has had the geometry checked and adjusted (now wearing away the rears on the inside!!)
Oh yes and my seat is starting to sag at the back of the base..but then again i am 12 stone and it has done 20000 miles!!!
I would dearly like to love the car as others do on this forum but i did take an accord for a test drive the other day!

Malvern_Jim
31-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. According to the garage I am up to date on all recalls but I am not sure if it has been replaced earlier. They have given me a form to fill in next time it happens, so we will see if this can assist.

martin1810
31-03-2009, 09:47 AM
It sounds like a power feed fault. These don't get logged because the ecu loses power and switches off so the engine cuts out. Can be simply a dirty connection which is effected by road imperfections. Hopefully the garage will find it if that's the case.

Quatrelle
31-03-2009, 06:52 PM
The car also steers badly although it has had the geometry checked and adjusted (now wearing away the rears on the inside!!)

Did you have the 4-wheel alignment check, or just the fronts?

A correct 4-wheel check should eliminate the rears wearing on the inside.

silverman
01-04-2009, 10:12 PM
It had the castor and camber adjusted at Listers (Evesham) supposedly to the VW settings!