PDA

View Full Version : gearbox flog off

jamedvickni
30-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Hi all

Had alot of trouble with grinding gearbox at bite point, juddering clutch and lumpy idle, went into garage on thurs for strip down and the outcome was the pressure plates are sticking and that vw uk are aware of the fault but there is no fix basically because it would involve a recall of all gt tdi with that gearbox and replacement with the other sort of gearbox so MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!! really. The flywheel has been changed already and unless the gearbox goes bang!!! they dont want to know. Thinking of contacting vw to demand a gearbox change. anyone else in the same boat? advise please?

thanks

the surfer
31-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi all

Had alot of trouble with grinding gearbox at bite point, juddering clutch and lumpy idle, went into garage on thurs for strip down and the outcome was the pressure plates are sticking and that vw uk are aware of the fault but there is no fix basically because it would involve a recall of all gt tdi with that gearbox and replacement with the other sort of gearbox so MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!! really. The flywheel has been changed already and unless the gearbox goes bang!!! they dont want to know. Thinking of contacting vw to demand a gearbox change. anyone else in the same boat? advise please?

thanks

I own a GT TDI and it's in at VW at the moment getting the 1st and 2nd gear synchronisers replaced. My car has only done 35k and the gears have been bad since taking ownership at 17k. I also suffer from a juddering clutch in damp conditions; I was told that this is due to moisture settling on the clutch plate.

My gearbox code is: HDV. Is this the same as yours? I'd be interested to know if there is a common fault with these gearboxes.

jamedvickni
31-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Hi

Where abouts would I find the gearbox details? sorry never looked really

thanks

the surfer
31-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Hi

Where abouts would I find the gearbox details? sorry never looked really

thanks

It's on the inside cover of your handbook.

jamedvickni
02-04-2009, 04:03 PM
I have the code KNS for gearbox and BKD for engine, does this sound right?

the surfer
03-04-2009, 12:41 PM
I have the code KNS for gearbox and BKD for engine, does this sound right?

It sounds right in as much as it's a 3-digit code. Your engine is the same as mine but your gearbox appears to be different. My gearbox is getting repaired as we speak....

Good luck with it.

jamedvickni
03-04-2009, 05:45 PM
hope all goes well, let us know if its a fix