PDA

View Full Version : What is an auto pulley?

Lis
30-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Anybody? :confused:

NickPicks
30-03-2009, 10:26 AM
In what context?

I presume it's about cars, but what specific car, and what part? engine, gearbox, washing line?

From a quick Google, I'm thinking you might mean a belt tensioner pulley.

Lis
30-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Um my audi a3 tdi, its gone to garage for service and 2 new tyres and they called me and said it needed an auto pulley too, but i don't know what that is?!:confused:

£350 so far and counting lets hope they don't call back and say i need something else doing too :(

They said something about vibrations when pulling away, and the squeaking power steering maybe auto pulley is something to do with that?

Panzerdriver
30-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Mmmm maybe an Alternator pulley??? :confused:

paul b
30-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Power steering noise usually is the alternator pulley on a TDI. Common problem.

If you're stationary and go to full lock, does it make a horrible noise?

I've changed the alternator pulley on my A6 and my T5, just shows hom common the problem is.

Lis
30-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Power steering noise usually is the alternator pulley on a TDI. Common problem.

If you're stationary and go to full lock, does it make a horrible noise?

I've changed the alternator pulley on my A6 and my T5, just shows hom common the problem is.

Yes it does make a horrible noise. I never thought much of it though :o its been like that since i bought the car and the steering has never been a problem just a bit noisy! :o Garage man sounded concerned though and said it was very important he did that first :(

Did i mishear him then? And he said 'alternator pulley' and not 'auto pulley' ?

paul b
30-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Yes it does make a horrible noise. I never thought much of it though :o its been like that since i bought the car and the steering has never been a problem just a bit noisy! :o Garage man sounded concerned though and said it was very important he did that first :(

Did i mishear him then? And he said 'alternator pulley' and not 'auto pulley' ?
You probably did. The mechanic sounds like a decent one, a lot of mickey mouse mechanics would change the belt and everything first, it sounds like he's seen this problem before and knows what he's doing.

The part costs about £60 from Audi plus VAT or £40ish from someone like Andrew Page Motors or GSF. So don't let him charge you too much for doing the job!

Lis
30-03-2009, 03:38 PM
You probably did. The mechanic sounds like a decent one, a lot of mickey mouse mechanics would change the belt and everything first, it sounds like he's seen this problem before and knows what he's doing.

The part costs about £60 from Audi plus VAT or £40ish from someone like Andrew Page Motors or GSF. So don't let him charge you too much for doing the job!

He did say it was a common problem when he called earlier!

And said it would cost me extra £30, on top of the £200 for full service and £120 for 2 tyres.

Will be strange to have a non-squeaky car though?! :o

paul b
30-03-2009, 03:40 PM
He did say it was a common problem when he called earlier!

And said it would cost me extra £30, on top of the £200 for full service and £120 for 2 tyres.

Will be strange to have a non-squeaky car though?! :o
The price sounds very reasonable.

Did you never get embarrassed with that sound when parking, in busy car parks? :biglaugh:

Lis
30-03-2009, 03:45 PM
The price sounds very reasonable.

Did you never get embarrassed with that sound when parking, in busy car parks? :biglaugh:

No, never go to busy car parks really? Don't go food shopping or into town (unless its quiet in the eves) soooo not busy!

And i tend to generally have my stereo quite loud :p

paul b
30-03-2009, 03:46 PM
No, never go to busy car parks really? Don't go food shopping or into town (unless its quiet in the eves) soooo not busy!

:biglaugh:

MalcQV
30-03-2009, 11:23 PM

I find all the rattles disappear with the stereo up a little. However proportionally to the volume of the stereo is Mrs QV's voice as I used to arrive in the town we lived. Course it meant the tea was on the table by the time I reached home :p:p

Lis
31-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Well it seems i'm now really poor!!

as it appears my mechanic can't add up and that all cost me £425!!!!!!!!:zx11::zx11::mad::mad:

AND

They said that i will need a new flywheel soon, so thats what i'm going to have to start saving for now! :mad::mad:

paulthefox
31-03-2009, 10:35 AM
the parts start to fail as the car racks up the miles /age regular maintanance is the only answer:beerchug:

paul

paul b
31-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Well it seems i'm now really poor!!

as it appears my mechanic can't add up and that all cost me £425!!!!!!!!:zx11::zx11::mad::mad:

AND

They said that i will need a new flywheel soon, so thats what i'm going to have to start saving for now! :mad::mad:
If he knows his stuff, its a flywheel AND clutch that needs doing if your car is equipped with a DMF.

£425 is about the going rate for that job, assuming he actually did do all the work quoted for.

The car will usually vibrate at certain rev ranges or even all the time if the flywheel was giving up. You did say in an earlier post about vibrations.

Lis
01-04-2009, 08:41 AM
What is DMF? :confused:

My heart sank when he said flywheel as that is what OH had to have done to his Golf and it cost about £750! :o:(

So i guess that means that somebody who had my car before me spent most of their time riding the clutch then? :mad:

Mechanic said its not urgent job as clutch isn't slipping or anything but will just need doing, its going to take me a little while to save up so it will have to wait anyway! :(

MalcQV
01-04-2009, 01:01 PM

My heart sank when he said flywheel as that is what OH had to have done to his Golf and it cost about £750! :o:(

So i guess that means that somebody who had my car before me spent most of their time riding the clutch then? :mad:

Mechanic said its not urgent job as clutch isn't slipping or anything but will just need doing, its going to take me a little while to save up so it will have to wait anyway! :(

Dual M4ss Flywheel. The swear checker does not like the other word used to describe a donkey :D

paul b
01-04-2009, 05:31 PM

I guess £750 isn't too far wrong for a genuine clutch and flywheel (Malc is correct) change being done at a garage.

Sam
01-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Lis, let me know where abouts you are in Kent (via PM if you prefer) and I'll see if you're close enough for me to recommend my mechanic.

Lis
02-04-2009, 09:22 AM
I guess £750 is too far wrong for a genuine clutch and flywheel (Malc is correct) change being done at a garage.

Do you mean £750 is about right or £750 is wrong?:confused:

paul b
02-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Do you mean £750 is about right or £750 is wrong?:confused:
Sorry, I meant it isn't too far wrong. Its about right. The parts cost hundreds alone.

Post edited.

Ansi
13-02-2010, 12:34 PM
My T5 1.9 TDI(54) is making an awful noise from steering but also juddering.. I looked at the PS belt and its tight but when you 'load' up the steering it bounces about a bit and the tensioner dancing around a bit also..

thought it might be just slipping or Knackered belt.. any ideas?