PDA

View Full Version : Please Help A little advice on lowering please??

xxNORMSKIxx
29-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Hey,
i'd like to drop the ride height of my 1999 s4 quattro but dont want to ruin the handling?? will a drop of 30mm cause me any problems? is there anything which is going to be damaged with excessive decking? :-)

any help or recommended parts greatly recieved

sbt
30-03-2009, 09:01 PM
i have lowered 4 of my audis to date and it as vastly improved handling on all of them yes of course the ride is a bit stiffer as would be expected but it gives the car a low sporty look and very possitive handling one peice of advice i would give to anyone doing this is to get the car tracked after lowering it makes a hell of a difference

steeevo
01-04-2009, 10:22 PM
yeah im thinking of lowering my audi 99 1.9tdi by 40mm is it right that you should replace the shocks aswell when lowering?

docurley
02-04-2009, 03:42 PM
If you dont have sport shock then I would do the shocks as well but the S4 will be fine the only issue that might pop up is if the control arms are old they might not like all the messing around and pack in once you put the car back together.

xxNORMSKIxx
02-04-2009, 09:16 PM
ideal. thanks, any advice on which way to go.... coilovers or springs??? i'd prefer springs due to cost and its a slightly less harsh ride??

sbt
02-04-2009, 09:31 PM
the best combination i found was when i lowered an a6 2.8 quattro avant i used koni sport shocks and eibach springs to say i was pleased would be an understatement

xxNORMSKIxx
04-04-2009, 05:12 PM
cool, thanks. How was the ride? was it uber stiff?

sbt
04-04-2009, 05:17 PM
no not too stiff eibach springs are progressive so they stiffen up on tight bends but you get a decent ride on the flat yes there stiffer than standard springs but not enough to shake your fillings out

JIGGY C
14-04-2009, 04:02 PM
If you dont have sport shock then I would do the shocks as well but the S4 will be fine the only issue that might pop up is if the control arms are old they might not like all the messing around and pack in once you put the car back together.

I'll double that, i dropped one of my B5's on a coilovers and they popped and also put a lot of pressure on other older parts of the car as well - my advice would be not to skimp - buy the best and replace bushes etc as well - treat it like your servicing the suspension and you'll be fine - 30mm though may not be enough, personally i don't think you'll see a huge difference, save up and do coilovers!!!

JIGGY C
14-04-2009, 04:03 PM
I'll double that, i dropped one of my B5's on a coilovers and they popped and also put a lot of pressure on other older parts of the car as well - my advice would be not to skimp - buy the best and replace bushes etc as well - treat it like your servicing the suspension and you'll be fine - 30mm though may not be enough, personally i don't think you'll see a huge difference, save up and do coilovers!!!

In fact, look at my profile photos, you'll see the lowered car and suspension!!