PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump......

stirz36
29-03-2009, 10:13 AM
My first post be kind.....As a passat owner for the last 5 years (174,000 miles 115 se x reg )and had no major problems with it at all ,its time to start thinking about moving on to a new model possible a o8 model . i keep hearing whispers about problems with fuel pumps failing , could anyone tell me if vw have corrected this problem if there is one ? cheers mark
:beerchug:

Spudrig
29-03-2009, 11:11 AM
My first post be kind.....As a passat owner for the last 5 years (174,000 miles 115 se x reg )and had no major problems with it at all ,its time to start thinking about moving on to a new model possible a o8 model . i keep hearing whispers about problems with fuel pumps failing , could anyone tell me if vw have corrected this problem if there is one ? cheers mark
:beerchug:

Hi Mark welcome to the forum. I've got an 06 Passat 1.9TDi and it now has 33000 miles on it. As for the fuel pump issue, VW recalled all new model Passats and replaced them, hopefully resolving the issue! If you can, try and go for a 2.0TDi as they are more powerful (140 or 170ps) than the 1.9 (105ps). There is also a 2.0TDi with 110ps which replaced the old 1.9 last year so you may find a few of these also. Another point to note is that the new 2.0TDi engines are common rail injection, rather than the unrefined PD engines.

Hope this helps
Emmet

stirz36
29-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the quick reply as i drive at night and early morning power isnt my main concern its reliability. Am i right that it was the 2.0ltr models that were recalled , or was 1.9 models recalled as well ? :beerchug:

Spudrig
29-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the quick reply as i drive at night and early morning power isnt my main concern its reliability. Am i right that it was the 2.0ltr models that were recalled , or was 1.9 models recalled as well ? :beerchug:

It was both the 1.9 and 2.0 that were recalled. I think the problem mainly affected the 2.0 but VW just recalled the 1.9s too as a precaution. Hopefully you get a good deal on a Passat. Keep us posted sure :D

Quatrelle
29-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Mine was never recalled. Judging by some of the posts on here, I'd suggest that it wasn't a proper recall, just that VW replaced a lot of them when they failed.

All they did with mine, in February '07, shortly after I bought it, was to fit a cooler to the fuel return line. Since I don't do a lot of kms, I have visions of the pump failing just after it's gone out of its extended guarantee....

And whaddya mean, unrefined :p;)

johnloaderuk
29-03-2009, 08:37 PM
It appears that there was a faulty batch (a large batch !) of fuel pumps fitted to some 55/06 reg cars, maybe some newer ones as well. VW knew of the problem fairly early on but didn't do an official recall, bad press etc, so replaced them as they failed. Problem was you didn't know when they would fail, I drove mine into the middle of Wales no problem, and when it came to going home time it just wouldn't start - fuel pump packed up. It now has 125k on the clock and it's been fine ever since having a replacement pump, so don't let it worry you as they've probably all been replaced by now. Go find yourself a nice Passat and enjoy it.

jimgironde
03-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Quatrelle
my 57 plate 140 tdi had its pump replaced. I never had a recall letter and the pump never failed. When I took it in for service last year they just replaced it and said "it had come up on their system".
Has your car gone into the main dealer over the last year?

james_tiger_woo
03-04-2009, 10:00 AM
The 2.0 110 is a 5Spd too - probably to stop people buying a 6spd 110 and "chipping" it.

Quatrelle
03-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Quatrelle
my 57 plate 140 tdi had its pump replaced. I never had a recall letter and the pump never failed. When I took it in for service last year they just replaced it and said "it had come up on their system".
Has your car gone into the main dealer over the last year?
Jim - it went in in December 08 for an annual service, and went in on various other occasions last year, mainly for airbag faults.

I don't do a lot of kms, so I'm being cynical and wondering if VW didn't do it in the hope that it will be well out of guarantee before it goes. Even after 4 years I doubt if I'll have done the necessary kms to get it to fail.

I keep all my invoices for the car, and all past work is listed at the bottom each time. Do you know the code for the pump recall, just in case they've done it and didn't say anything? As I've said elsewhere, they did something to the fuel cooler on the return side about a month or so after I bought it - not sure how relevant that would be to pump failure.

mikecb1
03-04-2009, 12:41 PM
My pump was replaced last August. After hearing about all the problems via this forum, I called my dealer and asked about it, and they said yes, your car is affected, bring it in. I hadn't had any problems by the way. By co-incidence, a week after the replacement I got an official recall letter from VW UK telling me to contact my dealer to get the pump replaced! So it was eventually an official recall (it was initially a Field Service Campaign), in the UK at least. The recall reference is 20M5.

Incidentally, out of curiosity I asked about the validity of recalls when I was in the dealer last week for the balance shaft gear recall. I was told that they are valid for the life of the car. So as long as you know about them, or the dealer can be bothered to check, they can be carried out free of charge even after several years.

Mike

56 Sport TDi 170

Quatrelle
03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Cheers Mike - mine's going in next week for its airbag light again, so I'll ask. 20M5 isn't listed on any of my invoices.

stirz36
03-04-2009, 03:04 PM
As previous stating i have done 150,000 miles in my passat and not had any major problems with it (i do drive at night motoway 65mph granddad driving) ill soon have approx 10 k to spend on a newish car , after hearing about these problems with recalls / fuel pumps i think ill be taking mi money elsewhere like the look of the honda accord 2.2 d hurts me to say this as i love mi passat :mad:

Spudrig
03-04-2009, 03:14 PM
after hearing about these problems with recalls / fuel pumps i think ill be taking mi money elsewhere like the look of the honda accord 2.2 d hurts me to say this as i love mi passat :mad:

But stirz, all cars suffer from recall problems, the Accord may have had recalls for some other problem. If you've had a Passat for years, you may as well stick with it as its proven technology in the TDI engine. Nobody makes a diesel better than the VAG group. But this is just my view, but also bear in mind that Honda only began offering diesel engines in the Accord a few years ago, whereas VW have had the TDI technology since the early nineties, and the longevity/reliabilty is proven. If the recall for fuel pump has been done, and the car has a full service history, you shouldn't worry too much.

james_tiger_woo
03-04-2009, 03:19 PM
As previous stating i have done 150,000 miles in my passat and not had any major problems with it (i do drive at night motoway 65mph granddad driving) ill soon have approx 10 k to spend on a newish car , after hearing about these problems with recalls / fuel pumps i think ill be taking mi money elsewhere like the look of the honda accord 2.2 d hurts me to say this as i love mi passat :mad:

As said - all cars have recalls and it's better that manufacturers preempt this as opposed to deny and quietly fix.

Saying that, the Accord was my comparison car and I drove it and as much as I liked it, it didn't feel as refined as the Passat - Residual values tend to be lower on the Accord. £10k does get you a nice Accord, but it's build quality and the plastics let it down. (All in my own opinion of course).

It's up to you really as to which you choose, but ensure that you test both with an open mind and decide from there.

Quatrelle
06-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Asked my dealer about the fuel pump replacement recall today (another go at the airbag light), and the reply was that it depends on the model (that's my translation of his French). Not sure whether he meant the pump or the car, but he checked and said that it wasn't necessary on mine.....

mikecb1
07-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Quatrelle

I seem to remeber that there was a build period of a couple of years during which many TDis were affected. Someone on this forum ("Crasher" I think) had access to the relevant info, and offered to check forum members cars on the basis of registration numbers to see if they were affected. My own car is a '56 plate, first registered Nov 06, and was included. If your dealer says your car is clear it should be fine, but it's very close in vintage to my car. Maybe Crasher could do a double check for you, assuming the french registration doesn't cause a problem?

Mike

Quatrelle
07-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Mike

It's people like Crasher, and a couple of other insiders, who make the really techy side of this forum what it is.

Mine was built I think in mid-06, and I'm guessing the only thing he'd be able to go by is the VIN number. I wonder also if the place where it was built is relevant. (I've got all this information somewhere on my pc.)

To be fair to the dealer, they've always kept me up to speed on other recalls without my having to ask.

I've just had a call from them - another airbag needs changing! and they'll have to keep the car till Thursday awaiting the replacement.

I do hope they don't expect me to pay for it....

vince47
07-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Mike

Mine was built I think in mid-06, and I'm guessing the only thing he'd be able to go by is the VIN number. I wonder also if the place where it was built is relevant. (I've got all this information somewhere on my pc.)

Pity we cant start a database of date & place of manufacture based on VIN number. There was a useful web site posted on the forum ages ago that would decode the VIN but last time I looked that feature had disappeared from the site..perhaps VW got upset:( Anyway 3 weeks ago the car went in for its service and despite pressing quite hard I was assured that my 07 plate 170SEL manufactured 10/1/07 in Emden isnt listed as in need of a fuel pump change. So when it fails now, out of warranty, I will be doubly annoyed.

chesh2000
09-04-2009, 08:30 AM
I bought my 55 plate 1.9 se second hand a couple of years ago, the fuel pump failed at 90k after standing on the driveway for a week (lucky i was not driving) so i think it did well to last 90k, the AA man removed the pump from the tank, hit it with a hammer and it came back to life! well long enough to drive it to the garage. Cost me £280 quid for a replacement and the garage said they could not get the part anymore because it had been 'superceeded' by a modified part.
he showed me the old and new pump and the only difference was a few extra breather pipes on the new one!

Quatrelle
09-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Collected the car this afternoon, yet another new airbag fitted. No charge, either because they've been faffing around with it for well over a year, or because the extended guarantee has kicked in (paid for it 4 months ago, still waiting for the card from VW).

I've just taken the time to read two small stickers that sometime in the past have been put on the jack/tools cover in the boot - I thought they were internal service stickers - they indicate that the car has had two recalls, one has 13D8, and the other 92B6, written on it, along with date, kms.

Is this done in the UK?

Spudrig
10-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Collected the car this afternoon, yet another new airbag fitted. No charge, either because they've been faffing around with it for well over a year, or because the extended guarantee has kicked in (paid for it 4 months ago, still waiting for the card from VW).

I've just taken the time to read two small stickers that sometime in the past have been put on the jack/tools cover in the boot - I thought they were internal service stickers - they indicate that the car has had two recalls, one has 13D8, and the other 92B6, written on it, along with date, kms.

Is this done in the UK?

I haven't noticed this Quatrelle, there is definitely no sticker on my jack/tools kit but there is a sticker on the inside of the boot beside the spare wheel, but I think this just might be the colour code of the car. I'll have a check when I'm out in the car

mikecb1
10-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Quatrelle

Just checked, and found that my (UK) dealer has puts dated stickers for the 13D8 and 20M5 recalls on the tool cover in the boot.

Mike

Quatrelle
10-04-2009, 06:22 PM
That might be a useful bit of advice for anyone buying secondhand - lift the boot carpet and have a look.

mikecb1
10-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Yes. A quick and easy check.

If the stickers are not there it doesn't necessarily mean the recalls haven't been done, but If they there it saves a lot of chasing up.

Mike

jimgironde
11-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Well, you learn something every day!!

Just checked the cover to the tool kit and there it was, a sticker with 20m5 on it.:approve:

Spudrig
11-04-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm going out to have a check with mine now and see if the stickers are there. But I have to say, I haven't noticed them before

Update: Just checked and can find no stickers on the tool kit or anywhere in the boot with regard the recalls. But the fuel pump and wiper cap recall have definitely been done as I have the documents (I took the car down to the dealer myself), so maybe its just some dealers that do this?

johnloaderuk
11-04-2009, 05:04 PM
First I've heard about the stickers, so I just checked mine, it's had a 92B6 and a 23C4 done ! - whatever they were.

It's a pity VW UK don't give out an official list of recalls (maybe they do, I haven't seen one), then we'd all know whats needed or has been done.

I did find on the VW New Zealand official site exactly that, a complete list of recalls listing the problem and recall reference number. If they can do it there, why can't they do it here. See link below.

http://www.vwasia.com/publish/vwasia/new_zealand/en/after_sales/maintainance___care/service_campaigns/passat.html

Quatrelle
12-04-2009, 05:14 AM
Interesting - There's nothing similar on VW's UK or French websites - perhaps there's something under NZ law that forces them to publish such things.

vince47
12-04-2009, 10:56 AM
The VOSA site has a few and mentions one of your codes
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=F092A1BF98AE0E1C8025723E004F71 2C&freeText=Blank
but is very limited, often to those people have drawn to their attention

Quatrelle
12-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Unfortunately, VOSA is a paper tiger - you only have to follow their feeble efforts to get manufacturers to do things...the Clio bonnet is a classic, Vectra handbrake, Renault's dCi engine failures. The list goes on.

It seems a lot of the car makers prefer to stay under the radar and do nothing or, as in VW's case, do things quietly at a service.

That NZ site is a real eye-opener, and could be a useful tool for anyone who is having a problem with VW in the UK (and here!).