PDA

View Full Version : About to buy AUDI A6 AVANT 2.7 TDI

Tanuki
29-03-2009, 12:20 AM
It's been a while since I last posted. I had a 2002 A4 estate and sold it to finance my little Alfa GT coupe adventure, which was a blast for about 26000 miles till it ended unceremoniously this week with a dead engine. Actually not the thing that is supposed to die - those diesels are usually bulletproof.

Anyway that's a whole other story, but it's forced me to make a quick decision. I've seen a high miler AUDI A6 AVANT 2.7 TDI SE with S-Line styling which I will view tomorrow. If it checks out I'm likely to buy it, but I want to be sure I go prepared.

What should I be looking for on a vehicle like this?

This vehicle was UK Supplied and has had only 1 Owner and has a Full Audi Service History.
It has covered 90,800 miles with services as follows:22.03.2006, 19,799 miles; 13.11.2006, 41,328 miles; 24.8.2007, 67,834 miles; and March 2009 90,800 miles at Audi

Please advise. I test drive it at 13:00. Are these engines without belts?
Is there anything that should have been changed at the service intervals that I must query the seller on?

Tanuki
29-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Ha ha! I forgot how quiet this forum is!! :D
On Alfa Owners I would have had about 3 or 4 by now.

Oh well.

Also wondering how if this model can be retrofitted with Xenons without a lot of fuss.

Flying Scot
30-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Good choice of car, I’ve had my 05 plate from almost new (ex-demo) and it has served me well.

The one area that I would have a good close look at is the electronics in the boot. There is an issue with the rear wash/wipe pipe leaking and all the soapy suds end up showering the electronics every time you use it. I recently had my car in at the garage for a couple of days on this issue.

I grumbled on about it for a couple of days here; -

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=61145 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=61145)

If you look at post #7, you’ll see links to a couple of documents that may be worth reading.

Tanuki
30-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Cheers for the response. I viewed the car in question on Sunday. Advertised as having "unblemished" paintwork, though for the mileage (90k) I would have fully expected a few chips on the front. Which it did. That's not the issue. I'm not knowledgeable about car painting techniques, but I could see blemishes galore on the bonnet - quite odd ones. I could see scratches and marks that appeared to be *under* the lacquer. Possibly a poor respray? Also the rear bumper was quite obviously resprayed, but not done well - some ripples.

Otherwise the car was fine...drove well, engine looked good. Had full service history. Had all the toys - DVD SatNav, auto everything...just got a bad vibe from the paintwork anomalies.

Also the car was advertised as just having a service. But when I queried was told it "will have one" when someone is serious about buying it. I don't like that. Nor the baloney about "unblemished". Maybe some folks would overlook it but for me it's telling a story about the seller and his cars.

So, off looking for others. There were some cracking examples at Fontains but they were all sold. Story of my life. I can't wait too long as I have no car.

Going to do a trip to Cargiant this week. They have some 2.7s and 3.0s just come in. Anyone have experience of them? Are the cars generally in good nick?

Tanuki
08-04-2009, 09:43 AM
I seem to have hit the jackpot and found a 55reg A6 2.7 TDI only 10 miles away from me. It's got all the goodies including Xenons, DVD Sat Nav, full leather etc and is at 66k.
I've taken a test drive and liked it, so I've got the RAC coming tomorrow to do an inspection. If it passes I'm making an offer straight away.

I like my iPod, and had a link for it in my last two cars. I would like to have it done on this one too, so I can see track listings on the MMI.
I'm told that Audi themselves are the most competitive when it comes to price for unit and fitting....anyone have experience of it?

Also, it's got genuine 18"s on it but I love those 19" RS4 08 style wheels. Best place to buy decent replicas?

alogbe
08-04-2009, 12:48 PM
I have one of these which I bought a year ago; it was then a year old, with 50,000 miles on it. I've added another 25,000 and I'd be happy to share information.

The only mechanical problem I have is a clutch which occasionally shudders or judders a bit on takeoff. The dealer says it's the effect of humidity, and putting new parts in wouldn't help. I think it's a known problem. I've gradually learned a clutch technique which avoids it most of the time, and I've just about stopped worrying about it.

Apart from that, I'm very happy with the car. Minor grumbles:

(1) For a fairly big car, there's an absurd lack of storage space inside.

(2) The sat-nav, which is the version known as "MMI plus", is really primitive compared with TomTom and others, and I gather there's no realistic possibility of upgrading it.

The engine is superb, in my opinion: more than enough to compensate for the minor grumbles.

PS: I forgot to mention - the camshafts are chain-driven (starting in 2005, I believe).

Tanuki
15-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Well I did it. She's sitting outside my work now. I can see it from my window and I'm rather chuffed. Such a far cry from the harsh, crashy ride of the Alfa GT.
So civilised inside, especially on the motorway.

I've got it booked in to local Audi ******* for the iPod -> MMI+ interface. Can't live without my iPod in the car. Also I noticed in the centre armrest it's got a phone preparation....just got to find a cradle to go in there but I don't think I'll find one for my HTC. I have an old Nokia 6280 that might do, but I'd prefer to have the HTC communicating with the car directly.

Also going to get the tow-bar fitted so I can use my Thule bike carrier.

Leather seats in the rear especially need some work to get back into shape. They've had kids seats on both sides and it's left indentations in the squabs. I had the idea to force a bit of shrinkage before condtioning the leather.

All in all, it's a real treat to have a bit of luxury again. I'll post some photos of her once I've polished, detailed etc. this weekend, weather permitting.

alexst
16-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Good work, Im looking into an A6 Saloon but cant decide between 2.7 or 3.0 TDi. Some great prices out there for 2005/2006 cars with 60,000 miles for about £12k, cant argue with that price tag. Want the multi tronic one though and heard they cant or shouldnt be remapped above the 230hp the 3.0TDi produces is this true.

Post a pic of your car.... ;)

Tanuki
16-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I can't comment on the remapping. Perhaps it's true...they've taken it to the highest output for that engine already and going further is just going to reduce reliability too much. Someone here is bound to know, though good luck on getting a timely response. This forum is not as lively as Alfa Owners, that's for sure.

Anyway, on Saturday, weather permitting, I'll give her the full detailing treatment. Then I'll do some photos. The inside needs a thorough going over. There's a bit of plastic trim which seems to have been scraped back by the nails of the lady who drove it before me. It looks like a small piece to replace, but the work involved is difficult to gauge - it's a grey section underneath of the buttons. Might be better to just replace the lot with new parts. Buttons look a tiny bit worn too.

alexst
20-04-2009, 02:06 PM
I know what you mean the MLR is fast too, I guess there just arent that many enthusiasts with these cars, those site mainly attract modders and here you kind of buying the complete package. Not really the sort of car your going to Modify and track IMO. Thats for the weekend toys! :D