PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 T FSI engine rattle

tlionhart
28-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Is it normal for the engine to make a rattling sound a bit at idle? The rattling gets kind of louder up to 1500rpm, but after 2000rpm the rattling noise goes and signs fine?
I've had a look around the engine area but couldn't find anything loose. Car drives fine.

sgrewal
19-05-2009, 11:32 AM
do you ever fail to start? just noticed that on two attempte the engine fails to turn on 09 s tronic 1.4 TFSi S line.

tlionhart
20-05-2009, 08:33 PM
no it never fails to start. I did take it into my audi centre, and the technician had a look at it. Straight away he said, no its normal. I wasn't use to this sound as i had a 1.6 before. He pointed out the part in the engine that makes the noise and explained what it did and how it worked.

If yours does fail to start, then i suggest you take it in. Mine did fail once, but only because i didn't start the car up properly. Like turn the ignition completely.

sgrewal
21-05-2009, 09:22 AM
turn the ignition completely? I might just pop it in to the audi centre.
are you otherwise happy with the car - is yours the S tronic or manual
i have only done 800 miles or so so I assume fuel economy will improve - it is not bad approx 40mpg

tlionhart
21-05-2009, 10:41 AM
i ment by being lazy. When it goes to start, i havn't turned the ignition properly causing it to fail start. Prob know one has ever done that , as im stupid at times! lol

But yes, take it in to the centre. It's a new car. You would return a faulty T.V or other goods at home if they wern't working properly. Overall mine is a manual and i love the car. Mines done 2200 in 3 months. But the usage is likely to go down because work isn't far from me and i don't do a lot of long distance driving. The accumulated miles are simply the novelty of wanting to drive around everywhere! If i remember rightly on urban driving mine was about the same. My mate (who has a toyota yarris and is all for them, seems to always put audi's down!) didn't believe my fuel MPG. Said it was properly faulty. So i looked in the audi handbook...yep it was about right. :p

You happy with your car? What spec did you go for?

p.s remember to check the oil weekly at the moment. Because when the engine is running in, it drinks more oil than expected! Nearly caught me out!

sgrewal
21-05-2009, 10:59 AM
I may fall in to that category of being lazy! - I have never really noticed but the handbook does say to turn the key to posiiton 2. HOwever have never been affected by other cars?

The spec i went for (company car) was the following:-
A3 1.4 TFSi S Line - in addition to the S line spec I went for:-

Ibis White
S tronic (7 spd)
Open Sky
Navigation (not Navigation plus)
Xenons plus daytime LED
IPod dock
Driver Lumbar Support
Bluetooth preparation

Apparently as it has a low BIK of 16% due to low emissions of 137 g Co2 i decided for this engine rather than a diesel. (other family car is a high mileage Golf GT TDi DSG). As this is my first company car i expect to keep it for 4 years or 80,000 miles.

Definitely has a wow factor and I am glad i chose white!

tlionhart
21-05-2009, 11:42 AM
thats how i mean, it has 2 clicks. The second is the start up for the engine. Its this one where i haven't turned into it properly. But it only happened once. The car started up and then cut out. Began to panic, but noticed the ignition wasn't turned and was back into click 1.

Yes it truly is a stunning car. A few of my close friends or colleagues said 'its a horrible colour, why did you choose white?!' Then again this is opposed to car enthusiasts. When im down the petrol stations jet washes, drivers with good sports cars or enthusiasts onto cars/mods, come up and say that really suits the A3! (again opposed to those who turn up to dealerships, no nothing about the car and say "i don't care what it has or can do, i want a red one!")

On you nav system, can you switch the LED lights off in 'car setup'? I was going to get the nav system, but don't really do a lot of driving as mentioned, so wouldn't get my moneys worth.
Im also in for 4yrs with capped 10k per year...Ill see what happens in year 3 though. Might consider a complete change by then to a larger model.