PDA

View Full Version : Hesitating Leon Cupra

maui_matt
28-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Just a quick question,
My leon has started to slightly hunt at idle ( 50-100 rpm) below the normal.
Also on cold and damp days it can just hang on with out stalling on start up until it is just starting to register the engine temp on the speedo temp guage!!
Does this sound like the Coil packs for the sparkplugs starting to break down and requiring replacement?

Thanks in advance
:beerchug:

Matt

maui_matt
28-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Oh and forgot to mention its a 2003 180bhp cupra!!
:beerchug:
matt

Philip Solomon
08-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi. I've got a 1.6s 2002 and i have had hunting on idle almost since new. I only got about a year out of it before it started. Kinhams in Croydon had it on their diagnostics 6 times and still cant register a fault even when it happens. The machines must not detect that kind of fault. In a nutshell they never gave me a permanent remedy. I reckon it's a Engine Management Computer problem, though I am not a mechanic. I would love top know if it is and how much it would cost to put right. I have only done 60k and cant change to the Audi Avant yet. Somebody please shed some light. :1zhelp:

Tony_Essex
05-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi I just wandered over here from the Passat forum....as I had a Leon Cupra on a 51 for 5 years from new. What you are decribing does not sound like the coil pack issue.. The coil pack will fail pretty suddenly with little or no warning (experienced one myself...and believe me you know when it has gone!). Also be aware that this engine..whilst being a damn good engine, does hunt a bit on idle.

However, I had similar problems with mine, and after reading advice on another forum, asked the garage to clean the throttle body. This made a huge difference, with the car idling and pulling more cleanly. There are many other possibilities...but given the cheap cost I suggest you clean the throttle body as a first step..

Good luck

Philip Solomon
09-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi Tony,
Thanks for that reply. I have had trouble with it since new. I bought it from Kinghams of Croydon and although they always put it on the diag machine it came up no fault found whether it was pinking or not. The car has always hunted on idle since about 6 months old. Of course, I got fed up with it being in someone elses hands and put up with it until it got on my nerves again. My brother teaches Motor Mech at Croydon College, he's 50 and other mates have suggested things. I just got it back from yet another mechanic and he drove it with the diagnostic in it and the holding back happened. He is convinced it is the ECU but of course that is the most expensive bit it could be. I am thinking of complaining officially to SEAT as it was suggested to them years ago that it might be but the dealer never changed the part. It was under 3 yrs parts and labour too! Do you think I may get some joy as Kinghams must have a history from back then? Cheers for your input.

Philip Solomon
09-06-2009, 09:34 PM
By the way tony coil packs were changed for Bosch ones. Problem persisted.

LEE69
17-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Check the CTS temperature on your Climate control, make sure it is reading the correct temp, ignore the dash one

http://lee69.co.uk/Car%20stuff/Leon/codes.txt

Tony_Essex
18-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Hmm if it is the CPU it is expensive. I guess I would be tempted to take it back to the supplying dealer, as they are typically more willing to investigate such issues, even if it is out of warranty.

Maybe you could ask them if they could verify if your CPU is ok or not....you could atleast then either exclude it as the cause of the issue, or if the CPU is faulty, get a quote of how much it will cost to fix. You can then open negotiations with the dealer and Seat to see if there are willing to contribute.