PDA

View Full Version : Gear Selector Problem '96 TDi

KeithOT
27-03-2009, 10:54 PM
I have a problem selecting first & reverse gears, there is too much fore & aft movement in the gear lever. Problem is at the gear selector arm on the gear box it has a lot of free movement seems the the trouble is inside the gear box either the lug on the selector shaft is worn or the selector forks. It has done a lot of miles 258000+! Problem seem worse since having a new clutch fitted today.
Any one had experience of this?

mi5daw
07-04-2009, 01:25 PM
i have a problem selecting first & reverse gears, there is too much fore & aft movement in the gear lever. Problem is at the gear selector arm on the gear box it has a lot of free movement seems the the trouble is inside the gear box either the lug on the selector shaft is worn or the selector forks. It has done a lot of miles 258000+! Problem seem worse since having a new clutch fitted today.
Any one had experience of this?

hello keith
try this one ebay item number 390040505494
i did on mine made it wright and sorted my problem same as yours just wear and tear

good luck rickie

KeithOT
07-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks for reply Rickie, unfortunately that repair was done a year or two ago, this is the gearbox that is passed its sell by date! I have found a good low mileage box in my local breakers (& a few other bits) & hope to fit it asap!

theshuffler44
12-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Have you tried adjusting the setting on the top cable connecting to the selector , i found after replacing my gear linkage that if this nut is not in the correct place it can make finding gears difficult .

KeithOT
13-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Yes I did tweak the adjuster, I can get all the gears just waaay too much fore & aft movement.

duanvogel
25-06-2009, 01:36 AM
I solved my Tdi gear problem by replacing the selector connection bolt with a longer one with a lock nut. I initially thought my gearbox is playing up. The positions where you are locking the selector arm are quite sensitive. I had to try a couple positions before I had found the correct position.

A good starting point is to loosen the bolts and found the neutral position on the gearbox by moving the selectors by hand. Ask someone to hold the gear lever secure in the neutral position right in the middle. Now you can tighten the selectors and test your gear shifts. From here you should not move it more than 3mm at a time if it needs adjustment.

Make sure that you can selects all 5 gears including reverse, as for example when you can not select 2, you adjust it and by the time you can select 2,.... it can mean that 5 or reverse are now out of synchronisation.
When you find the right position, lock it secure.

Lubricate the selector and the gear shift should feel like new.!!

KeithOT
25-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Your are right about it being sensitive VW use a special jig to hold the gear lever in a set position while the selector is adjusted. I have got the new box & selector working pretty well now - maybe not perfect yet but getting close!