PDA

View Full Version : A6 central locking

dixielee
19-03-2007, 11:13 PM
I have a 2001 A6 Avant 18T and just recently the central locking has developed a mind of its own and also winds down all the windows, not ideal for this time of year. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated before my interior gets wet, cheers

Leo
13-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Hi Dixielee, I had exactly the same problem on our '99 A6 tdi. I started a thread in Jan 06 on the subject, but the long and short of it is as follows....windows went up and down by themselves, alarm sounded, interior lights came on/went off - all as if possessed, which my kids thought it was, (too much Scooby Doo!). A day before it was due to go into the Audi garage it 'fixed' itself thankfully. At that time, I was convinced it was the alarm/central locking control unit (somewhere in the boot I think) which had got damp over the winter when the car wasn't used much and was outside every day. That was a year ago, however, travelling into the city last week the driver's window wound itself down and stayed there. Took the door panel off and found that the window-winder motor was very hot and still winding! Changed that (£165) and all is ok. I'm not saying that this may have been the cause of last years problem, but it's possible it was playing up back then.
Best of luck,
Leo.

dixielee
19-04-2007, 09:08 PM
cheers leo,
My problem has also seemed to have corrected it's self,but it is a good point about the damp weather during winter.I have also been locking it with the key because i have found the drivers door lock seems to stick from time to time when closing the door.I will also grease the window guides,I am told with silicone grease.cheers again for your reply

Leo
20-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Just as a follow up...after replacing the motor on the driver's window, I thought all my problems had gone (with the £165 for the motor!), but I was wrong. Only yesterday (when I was sad and I was lonely. Oh no...that was the Carpenters) the interior lights began independantly flashing and the doors locked/unlocked whilst driving along. Wifey is getting a bit peed off with this now, and apart from spending more dosh on the central locking control unit I can't see a way out of it. Looks like some overtime needs working to foot the bill!!
Leo

MA6BUSA
30-04-2007, 07:01 PM
this is kind of a tangent but here goes,
The driver's key lock/window/sunroof close function using the driver's door lock. Is it normal for this operation to fail. I can used the key in the driver's door to lock the doors and close the sunroof, but it does not close or open the windows. Just curious if anyone else had this issue.

James H
08-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Dixielee - have you continued to have this problem? It sounds pretty much exactly the same as one I am having at the moment - and I am getting rather hacked off by it....

Did you find a clear solution? - or has anyone else found out what causes this sort of thing?

cheers,

James.

gazza57
10-07-2007, 12:41 PM
There are a number of switches I understand which provide status to the central locking unit in the boot, some of those are on the doors and sound the buzzer when you open the door with the lights on and bring on the interior lighting as the doors are opened, additional to this if you unlock the doors with the fob but don't open the doors the doors will relock themselves after a timeout period.
If I was a betting man all of these symptoms seem to be present as you've described.
It may be the the central locking unit is getting incorrect status information from the doors. I had a switch array fail in my A6 on the off side front and no buzzer no interior light and intermittent locking/unlocking so it may be worth looking there.
May be helpful to Leo and Ma6busa
Regards
Gazza57

ini
10-07-2007, 01:33 PM
If you have the earlier type central locking/vacuum pump in the boot side wall, windows and locking craziness can be caused by damp pump electronics (the foam shroud soaks up water like a sponge, and prolonged exposure can cause corrosion on the circuit board)

If you have the later electronic convenience module in the footwell, wierd behaviour can also be caused by water ingress.

I am seeing a pattern here. lol

James H
10-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks all for those thoughts and suggestions. I have just managed to get the fault codes read, - and that is showing an earth fault in the driver's door lock - which is exactly what gazza57 said he had experienced. The CCM on my car is under the passenger footwell carpet, and is dry as a bone, as is the carpet and interior generally.

So I guess I'll get the driver's door stripped enough to get at the lock and see where we go from there.

Would certainly like to get to the bottom of this one, as it's getting right on my t*ts!!

James. :aargh4:

gazza57
12-07-2007, 12:59 PM
james H,
you stated that your ccm was as dry as a bone as are the carpets, there is a common fault here surrounding the pollen filter seal, if this is incorrectly refitted this is often the cause of a damp ccm and carpets and all of the problems that come with that.
When you change your pollen filter make sure it's refitted correctly.
Regards
Gazza57

James H
12-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Gazza57 - yes, thanks for that. I have read about the problems with others have had with water getting in around the pollen filter mounting. I have recently replaced mine. The filter itself is correctly seated. THe seal around the base of the filter housing is a curious piece or poor design, I think. However, the foam gasket didn't seem to be wet enough to have had water soaking through, though there was a little dampness around the outside of it. IN any event, there was no substantial trace of water inside the car - and I think that that is where is would go if getting in via the pollen filter.

I now realise that I have been discussing this problem on 2 different threads - 'cos although I am sure I have posted the next information on the forum, it isn't on this thread. I got the fault codes read - it was showing an open earth fault in the driver's door lock. The windows and CL were yesterday behaving as if having an epileptic attack, so the car is now with my local indy to have the door stripped and the fault located. I hope that will provide a definite answer, rather than the fault never being found but simply not manifesting again. I will post the result.

James.

James H
20-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Well, I have just picked the car up this morning, and am £264 lighter. However, on the brighter side, there was a definite fault found which was consistent with the problem and also the fault code. The driver's door lock was apparently knackered and shorting out.

Will have to see whether that has cured it in the longer term.

James.