PDA

View Full Version : Would you recommend one to a friend?

macmillions
27-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Some of you may know what I'm talking about.

I'm currently considering either a Scirocco GT TD140 or a Leon FR170 (K1 bodykit). I am torn between the two, and began to sway slightly towards the Leon (price being the main factor...)

However,

On my way home from work this evening I saw a set of Bi-Xenon lights in my rear view mirror, and thought, "Ooo, this could be a nice car", and it turned out to be a new Alfa Romeo MiTo. My mouth nearly dropped it was such a fantastic looking car and has thrown my initial thoughts on Scirocco/Leon into disarray. Especially after going on the car configurator and selecting the diesel, Veloce, Alfa red, all the toys (every box checked) and it came to £19k. Still cheaper than the Rocco and Leon!

My question is, are Alfas still as crap as ever? Rusting at every opportunity and breaking down at every moment?

Any opinions would be appreciated greatly!

Ta guys and gals! :beerchug:

Ben
27-03-2009, 09:37 PM
I was unaware of alfas breaking down or rusting.

However, i have heard the build quality leaves the odd part suspect to falling off every now and then.

elvismiggell
27-03-2009, 11:11 PM
My fiance's dad drives a 159 sportwagon, before that he had a 156 sportwagon. I won't say nothing ever went wrong, but then i drive a gt tdi and things have gone wrong.

Honestly, I'd consider one myself. They're damn good looking cars, lovely to drive, and actually not that expensive.

So yeah, i'd recommend one..... just don't quote me on it. :D

paul b
28-03-2009, 12:11 AM
With any cars there are good and bad ones. Have to remember Alfa Romeo is still Fiat at the end of the day... but then again so is Ferrari. :p

I've had good and bad experiences with Fiats. The bad experience was a diesel leak that the dealer couldn't fix, despite having the vehicle in twice. When I threatened to hand back the keys they sorted it. But after that the vehicle ran fautlessly for over 80,000 miles, although it did get a bit of luck along the way. So if you take the Alfa route I hope you get good aftercare.

So... your decision. But everyone is talking about the Roccos at the moment.

WeegieBob
28-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Alfa's were notorious rusters and unreliable years ago, but the Italian motor industry has come a long way since those days. The odd thing was you weren't really a "petrol-head" unless you owned at least one Alfa and watched your bank account being sucked dry such was the mystic with these fabulous cars.

This is only an opinion, not personal knowledge of the car, however I can't imagine Alfa is anything like as bad as it was, they need to get it right with this car. I'd put money on it it shares all sorts of components in a range of other manufacturers models, so reliability is a must.

I sat in a Brera Coupe not that long ago in dark metallic grey with a red leather interior - it was better than sex! But like with every dark mistress wearing red leather there's a price to pay ....... but god it was stunning. The GTA looks the business, you could do a lot worse! ;)

WeegieBob.

macmillions
28-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Well I read up on it a bit, and found that it shares much of its underpinnings with the Grande Punto, which is also a fine looking car, and as far as I've read, mechanically sound too! I think I could cope with the slightly shoddy build quality, as I do already drive a 2002 1.2l 16v Clio (which I keep quiet! :p) and I cant say that hasn't had its moments (engine wiring loom corroded due to a plastic cover vibrating against it and causing havoc with the ecu... £411 lighter, it was sorted), then last year, problem with starting, had everything replaced, coil pack, throttle sensor, camshaft sensor, MAF sensor. £500 lighter, found to be a sticky relay. Then the lining came off my brake shoe, so needed rescuing and was another £150 lighter, then for a £250 MOT as my spring had sheared at the back!

But anyway, 85k on the clock and I'm ready for a change, and the Alfa is seriously taking my fancy. The Rocco is gorgeous, I took one for a test drive, lovely interior, grippy handling and lovely engine, but the price is the big issue. The Leon I test drove was a remapped FR TD170 (developing 210bhp) and was incredible. With all the toys I want, including a remap, K1 bodykit and special FR leather interior would be £21k!

But the Alfa is such a fantastic looking car, I feel I could almost forgive it if it proved to be a little niggly, but I'm sure it cant be any worse than my clio has been? And at under £20k fully specced, with 18" alloys and leather interior, I'm seriously tempted, but I just don't know if I can sway myself from the reputation of the VAG reliability...

I'm gonna have to look at one in person, sit in it and possibly a test drive to settle my mind!

MalcQV
28-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Never owned an Alfa but vow to one day. I believe the biggest problem of late was dealers but I think that is being fixed as we speak.

The Mito may depreciate quicker than the Scirocco.

Go with the heart.

onzarob
28-03-2009, 04:34 PM
The Mito may depreciate quicker than the Scirocco.

I have owned an Alfa and it looked fantastic (bit dated now), drove brilliantly and was reliable. But it WILL depreciate faster and selling it on can be the real PITA because of the horror stories :(

Go with the heart.

If you do this, the Alfa will be on the drive ;)

PS you will only ever buy one :( But only due to trying to sell it on afterwards.

I still love Alfa's...the side indicators were used on the F40 :D

macmillions
28-03-2009, 09:04 PM
That looks like my dads old jetta! But is quite cool all the same. The car I am looking getting would be kept fo a long time so depeciation is not really an issue for me.

Gonna ave to test drive one as my heart is shouting Mito. but my head says leon. I just hope its a disappointing drive so my decision is easier!

onzarob
28-03-2009, 10:27 PM
That looks like my dads old jetta! But is quite cool all the same. The car I am looking getting would be kept fo a long time so depeciation is not really an issue for me.

Gonna ave to test drive one as my heart is shouting Mito. but my head says leon. I just hope its a disappointing drive so my decision is easier!

The odd thing is the man responsible for the Seat Leon is a Born and Bred Italian, Started with Fiat and Alfa, who's real claim to fame is the Afla 156.;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_de%27Silva

Hence the hidden handles in the rear doors :D

mrgasoil
28-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Being a VW convert from Seat....... i would go with the Leon..... esp with the K1 bodykit :beerchug: I have seen one in white and they look the dogs danglies :approve:

macmillions
30-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I think you may be right. I read into the MiTo and didn't realise its only the size of a Mini, which, at the moment would be fine for me as I drive a Clio mostly, but as I've been with my o/h for a number of years, things may change, and the last thing I want to do is change car, especially as Alfa's depreciate like a stone... Would still like to see one up close though, and to maybe test drive.

I've seen a couple of Sciroccos too in the last couple of days and they are simply stunning. My o/h made better noises than I've ever managed to get from her when she saw them! :o

I just have a sneaking suspician the Rocco might become quite common and lose its exclusivity over the years, whereas the Leon might not look quite as jaw dropping as the Rocco (even with the K1 kit), its still a damn fine looking machine, and the dealer gave us a book with all the little extras you can add to really personalise it, such as aluminium door sills, exclusive FR leather seats, twin stainless exhaust, different gear lever and honeycomb grilles. I just feel i could make it so it's the only one like it in the country...

But the Scirocco is SOOOOOOOO gorgeous! Especially in Viper Green! :aargh4:

onzarob
30-03-2009, 08:12 PM
The Scirocco and the Leon are very different cars One is a 2 door coupe with limited practicality and poor rear view vision. the Other a 5 door family hatchback with a sporty edge.

May help you decsion;)

paul b
30-03-2009, 08:22 PM
How about a Leon with the BTCC bodykit? I'm sure SEAT do that from stock.

Here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seat-Leon-1-6-Reference-Full-BTCC-Bodykit_W0QQitemZ400026162450QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAu tomobiles_UK?hash=item400026162450&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A4%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318) is a little 1.6 with the bodykit, imagine getting the FR with the bodykit? Assuming that's possible of course...

onzarob
30-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seat-Leon-1-6-Reference-Full-BTCC-Bodykit_W0QQitemZ400026162450QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAu tomobiles_UK?hash=item400026162450&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A4%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318) is a little 1.6 with the bodykit, imagine getting the FR with the bodykit? Assuming that's possible of course...

That couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding:p:p:p:biglaugh:

paul b
30-03-2009, 08:30 PM
That couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding:p:p:p:biglaugh:
Obviously. :biglaugh:

Full marks for effort though, it does look very nice. Would look even better on a proper, full fat Leon FR.

macmillions
30-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Well this is 'the actual' full fat Leon I test drove. Quite chavtastic I know, but is so cool it could freeze the nuts off a brass monkey!

(I would want the twin stainless exhaust, or the K1 central exhaust)

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/SEAT+LEON/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-51-62-141-240-4294965066-4294966202/advert.action?R=200911330267591&distance=10&postcode=cm61wt&channel=CARS&make=SEAT&model=LEON&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2008&vehicleRegLetter=58

P.S. Take note of the bhp!
And when thrashed on the test drive (120mph... in 5th!) it still returned 45mpg!

elvismiggell
30-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Well this is 'the actual' full fat Leon I test drove. Quite chavtastic I know, but is so cool it could freeze the nuts off a brass monkey!

(I would want the twin stainless exhaust, or the K1 central exhaust)

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/SEAT+LEON/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-51-62-141-240-4294965066-4294966202/advert.action?R=200911330267591&distance=10&postcode=cm61wt&channel=CARS&make=SEAT&model=LEON&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2008&vehicleRegLetter=58

P.S. Take note of the bhp!
And when thrashed on the test drive (120mph... in 5th!) it still returned 45mpg!

Tsk tsk!

But yes it does look quite good!

macmillions
31-03-2009, 06:16 PM
That was the dealer driving, then said, "oops, I've got another gear!" And my o/h was in the car who is a Bobby! But she was enjoying herself too much to really care!

When I test drove it I was a little better behaved, simply because I was scared to death of it. But I did give it the beans up the slip road and it reached 80mph in no time. Seemed much quicker than the 2.0l TSi Rocco I drove.

Quick question though, the Rocco TD is 140bhp and the Leon is 170bhp standard tune. Can the Rocco be remapped?

onzarob
31-03-2009, 08:06 PM
That was the dealer driving, then said, "oops, I've got another gear!" And my o/h was in the car who is a Bobby! But she was enjoying herself too much to really care!

When I test drove it I was a little better behaved, simply because I was scared to death of it. But I did give it the beans up the slip road and it reached 80mph in no time. Seemed much quicker than the 2.0l TSi Rocco I drove.

Quick question though, the Rocco TD is 140bhp and the Leon is 170bhp standard tune. Can the Rocco be remapped?

The 170TDi engine is available in both, the 140 will remap to 180ish, But the 140 will also return up to 50mpg, where as 40mpg is average for the 170. I've seen allot of post on here where owners whished they they bought the 140 as the MPG is so much better ;) The engine in the audi/vw/seat and skoda are the same ;)

macmillions
31-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Ah right thanks for that.
Didn't realise the 170 was avaiable in the Scirocco. When was that released?
To be honest, the 140 would be plenty powerful for me, but now having tested a 200bhp Leon, I now have a taste for it! :D But I think realistically, if the mpg is significantly better then the 140 would be better as I do about 20k miles a year. But if the 140 can be remapped to 180ish (and supposedly not affect mpg?) then that is also something to consider.

onzarob
31-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Ah right thanks for that.
Didn't realise the 170 was avaiable in the Scirocco.

I stand corrected not yet available in the Scirocco ;)

But if the 140 can be remapped to 180ish (and supposedly not affect mpg?) then that is also something to consider.

Look at this

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&task=searchblue&action=AllModels&Itemid=135

will give you 177BHP :D