PDA

View Full Version : Turbo lag on mk 6 golg 1.4 tsi 122bhp

iallen1@btinter
27-03-2009, 06:49 PM
When i had a test drive at the beginning of january you could defo feel the turbo kick in, but i have done 150 miles in mine know and you cant feel the turbo kick in the power delivery is really smooth, is this normal

knt
27-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Yes, when I got used it. You'll only tend to notice it when you floor the accelerator and up through the rpm range quickly.

iallen1@btinter
27-03-2009, 07:57 PM
thanks i was starting to think the turbo wasnt working, but i suppose some warning light would flash on the dash if it wasnt

vdubdavy
27-03-2009, 11:02 PM
thanks i was starting to think the turbo wasnt working, but i suppose some warning light would flash on the dash if it wasnt

You would notice right away if the turbo wasnt working, the car would be pretty gutless, it would feel like the brakes were jammed on.

Rhigour
28-03-2009, 01:11 PM
The turbo is permanently engaged on the 1.4 TSI. so you wont get any kick from it, it produces from nix revs. Any kick might have been the DSG gearbox if you have it. You can get a thump from this when starting off from a stop. To me it seems that when you stop, after a second the engine revs will drop and the tug from the transmission stops ,almost as if the unit has disengaged. When you press the pedal to move off quickly you get a take up of drive which comes as a thump . I get around this by lifting my brake foot a second or so before I want to move and you then feel drive return and the car will accelerate off without the thump.

iallen1@btinter
28-03-2009, 06:16 PM
I dont have the dsg, neither did the demo car but there was definately some turbo lag which isnt on mine

knt
28-03-2009, 08:02 PM
I've read somewhere that the turbo kicks in about 2500-3000 rpm once it has enough pressure.

Rhigour
29-03-2009, 09:08 AM
I've read somewhere that the turbo kicks in about 2500-3000 rpm once it has enough pressure.
That is the case with the Twincharger engine where the supercharger does the low revs bit, but with the turbo only 122ps engine the turbo works from tickover revs. It has to, otherwise with a 1.4 engine the car would be slower off the mark than a constipated snail and that it definitely is not.