PDA

View Full Version : Bose!?!

orion1210
19-03-2007, 10:23 PM
I've bought a 1.8t quattro and was wondering what needs to be done to upgrade to bose?

Is it just the head unit that is different or is it hte entire system?

Do you think its possible/worthwile to upgrade to the audi bose system or would a HQ aftermarket system be better?

RickT
19-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Head unit is differnet on some models, amp and speakers..

RicKT

Froggy
20-03-2007, 06:48 PM
The factory radio's can nearly all be switched into BOSE mode, however the way the wiring in the car is altered would mean a lot of work to switch over from a non-Bose car to retro-fitting the complete system.

For those that don't know I'll try and explain the Bose system in more detail;

Basically the head unit is switched to a pre-amp only (no direct connection to the speakers) low level output. This then feeds a multichannel amplifier system usually mounted it the boot side panels. The amplifier has individual outputs for each speaker that are filtered for the specific speakers frequency response. In other words only feeding the low Bass signals to the larger diameter "woofer" drive units, Mid frequency's to the Mid range drive units and the high frequency's to the small dash or top of door mounted "Tweeters".

The number of channels used and speaker setup varies depending on the style and model of car, my A4 Avant has a slightly different set of rear speakers to the saloon equivalent. This in turn was quite different to the set up in my old S3.

As you can imagine this means the speaker wiring and routing is completely different between a Bose vehicle and a normal one.

Hope that helps.