PDA

View Full Version : Golf GT Sport TDi 170 DSG

Johnny-Five
27-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Hi guys,

Picking up an 57 plate Golf GT Sport Tdi 170 DSG in the next couple of days and have a couple of questions:

Is it just the Sport that comes with the dark grill and light surrounds as standard and also as it's the DSG is the standard gearstick that bloody awful big chunky thing that most autos have? Saw a pic of a DSG GTi with one shaped like a normal gearstick? Is it possible to retro fit this stick to a GT?

The car in general seems to get pretty good reviews... you guys happy with yours?

Thx in advance :beerchug:

The Fingers
27-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Nice choice of car - DSG is great once you get used to using it.

You can buy a GTI (std or ED30) or R32 DSG shift stick - I have found a few recently on www.ebay.de (http://www.ebay.de), however i have a passat with DSG and the shift stick on this is the BIG FAT ONE - looks OK though, i have seen a golf GT sport one and they do look a little cheap.

Johnny-Five
27-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Cheers for the resonse! Will have a look on ebay. How do you find using the paddles? Does it still drive like a regular auto or is it closer in feel to a manual?

The Fingers
27-03-2009, 11:46 AM
I have found myself driving as a manual most of the time now, 'D' can be a little undecided which gear it should be in for quick get aways at round abouts (you will find this out for yourself be warned), 'S' can be a little harsh.

Manual does behave just like a manual box, however after a year of owning i do find that i will have a blast in manual and the come to a set of lights and forget i am in manual, let the screaming begin, it does change like its in sport but it can be a bit embarrasing. I find not giving it full gas all the time is best blip the gas between changes

Paddles - NOT GOT THEM:aargh4: (on shopping list £500, but so is RNS510 £600 and a fiscon?? £250)

Slightly off topic - i was at a very small show at a golf club last night and had a go in an official F1 simulator car (F1 Shell with LCD screen up front)- 7 speed DSG ish with paddles, MAN WAS THIS FAST driving around a replica of Silverstone - its amazing how realistic it was power slides and every thing, hit the grass and your dead) - i almost got in trouble on the way home.:biglaugh:

Johnny-Five
27-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Will bear in mind the manual tip... forgetful at the best of times! The car has the paddles so should be interesting to see how they work.

Simulator sounds good!... they certainly get you in the mood for fast driving!

The Fingers
27-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Check this out - http://cgi.ebay.de/Golf-V-5-GTI-Edition-DSG-Schalthebel-Schaltknauf_W0QQitemZ120393378269QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZAutoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r?hash=item120393378269&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1229%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

ED30 Golf Ball Style - wish it would fit on the Pasty

Not a bad price either

The Fingers
27-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Just a bit of caution required as i dont know if the euro left hookers are different

but you get the idea as to what you can change to

Johnny-Five
27-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Improvement over the chunky thing. Will pop down to a dealer when I get the car and see what they say.

sgtbanjo
28-03-2009, 01:13 AM
Hi johnny five, I've had mine 3 days now and I am loving it so far. I don't have paddles but i'm not too bothered. For every day driving the auto setting is adequate. The DSG does take a little getting used to as the throttle is so sensitive.

A word of caution - it is far too easy to get to 100mph without realising so if you've already got any points be extra careful :biglaugh:

I'll be interested to hear what you think after you've driven it for a bit!

Johnny-Five
03-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Picked the car up yesterday! No bloody paddles tho! Oh well...

Initial impressions are good. Like the look of it. Looks nice and understated. It's graphite grey and looks good with the grille, headlight and tinted windows details.

Quite surprised that theres not more toys inside, feels a lower spec than it actually is. Feels nice and solid tho. Drove a 120d msport for 2 years before this and couldn't really fault that car at all... but so far the Golf is holding its own.

Still a tad unsure about the DSG. Not keen on the 'standard' auto feel when around town. More responsive than I thought tho. What did put a smile on my face tho was coming down a slip road onto the motorway. Serious grunt going on and love the seamless gear change – so smooth. Very impressive.

Feels very solid and surefooted too. Do like the 'Q car' appeal too. Nice to have usable power without shouting about it. Engine sounds great too for a diesel, especially the mid range growl.

Thumbs up so far! :)

The Fingers
03-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Glad to here you have got the car - PHOTOS PLEASE LETS HAVE A SEE

I bet you thought the same as me when you got in - WHERES ME PADDLES:aargh4:

You can get them retro fitted, about £ 500 from www.VWCRUISE.com (http://www.VWCRUISE.com)

The auto bits do take a bit of getting used to OK in 'D' for cruising around town, although a bit udecided in lower gears.

'S' always seems to change a little too late for me holds the red line for a fraction of a second too long. Its almost as if it runs out of grunt and then thinks a second later 'Oh well i better change gear'

Where as when in manual you can change up just before red line and it seems to respond better.

I dont know about others but i also find mine a little weeny bit flat from about 2700 - 3500 rpm, i get the 2K surge then a final burst at about 3500 up to the red line, i have heard that a remap sorts this issue out. Is this the same in the 170's or are they torquey right through the range.

Although after a year with a DSG i still like it alot and will be getting another when i change again in 18 months or so but i am toying with the idea of a new golf GTD or NEW GTI next instead of the passat - choices choices

ENJOY THE CAR

Johnny-Five
03-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Will get some taken over the weekend!

Surprised it hasn't got a center arm rest too! Even more bloody surprised at the cost of fitting one... £900 from my local dealer and that doesn't include getting the vents working!!! Quick sniff around the net ad looks like some dealers only charge £300-400 so will look into that.

The Fingers
03-04-2009, 02:46 PM
What no arm rest either............. nightmare, you get the boody big hole that they like to call a cup holder.

on a 57 do you get the leather interior as standard or is that the last of the cloth ones.

I can understand the £900 from VW for the fit, its a new centre console isnt it and we all know how they like to charge a fortune for a bit of plastic. I know my rear vents in the passat are little use anyway cause no matter what setting you have them on you only get a bit of a draft out of them, unless you close all the vents up front and then you get a bigger draft and a whistle from the closed vents up front.:zx11:

Start looking around at breakers and you might find one off a MATCH or something.

Have you been lucky enough to get a highline (full lcd) dash screen or has it got a midline (half lcd)

I dont know what the crack is with VW UK, they seem to strip out all the good bits nowadays even on what is in effect the top of the range deisel golf its should have ALL the toys as standard cause lets face it so late on in the production of this model they should have thousands of arm rests, dual zome climate packs etc etc.

Anyway stop typing and get driving that car should have at least 1000 extra miles on by now:biglaugh:

Johnny-Five
03-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Lol... will get plenty of driving in over weekend!

Yeah it's a highline, has the full lcd screen. And yeah has the 'planting tub' in the middle and cloth. Seats look nice and sporty tho.. chunky!

It's pretty much an off the shelf GT Sport to be honest. Like you say tho, they really should have loaded them up a bit more. It is a £20k+ car when new after all!

The Fingers
03-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Planting Tub - pmsl - they should come with a factory fitted yukka plant, although there would be some way they would find to charge extra for that.

Its about time all DSG's had a multi function wheel as well or at least paddles as standard, as they do do a wheel with no buttons but paddles.

Johnny-Five
03-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Yeah agreed! Hopefully be a nice weekend for some pics. Will have a more detailed report on monday!