PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk VI GTI Diesel (GTD) to be launched

zf44
27-03-2009, 10:25 AM
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090326.027/vw-golf-gtd-to-premiere-at-ami

The model I am waiting for.........

http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/3/medium/volkswagen-golf-gti-mkvi_1.jpg (http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090326.027/photo/vw-golf-gtd-to-premiere-at-ami)

Volkswagen is introducing a new model (http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090326.027/vw-golf-gtd-to-premiere-at-ami#) to the Golf lineup at the 2009 Auto Mobil International (AMI) in Leipzig, Germany. The newcomer is called the Golf GTD and it's aimed at those who value both sportiness and economy. What makes the GTD special is its use of the 2.0-litre TDI with 170hp (125kW).
After testing the vehicle VW was able to achieve an average fuel consumption figure of 5.3 litres per 100 kilometres and a C02 emissions figure of 139 g/km. Performance wise the GTD will take off from standstill to 100km/h in 8.1 seconds and attain a top speed of 222km/h (138mph).

Just like its GTI sibling, the GTD comes fitted with a sports suspension and alloy wheels. Handling is said to be of akin to the GTI's.

maisbitt
31-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Im deeply unimprssed by this - it looks slightly more like a GTI inside and out, but at the end of the day it's just the same car as the 170TDI GT or GT Sport MK5. I was expecting more than the 170TDI in a "GTD". There were rumours about a year ago that they were going to squeeze 204bhp out of the 2.0TDI, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside now.
Common rail has a few smoothness and economy improvements over the PD, but that's it.

The new MK6 Golf is an improvement for the standard models but doesn't look that sporty when compared with the agressive front end of a MK 5 GT Sport.

I'll be gving the GTD a miss and going for the Scirocco as soon as they put the 170 TDI lump in.

macmillions
31-03-2009, 06:36 PM
When are they intending to put the 170 lump in the Scirocco? As that is a major factor in what is swaying me towards the Leon FR TD170.

maisbitt
31-03-2009, 07:55 PM
No announcements yet for a 170TDI Scirocco, but my local dealer said they've had quite a few enquiries, so if VW were ever oblivious that the demand was out there then they should've had dealer feedback by now.

If the 170 did come in any time soon, I wonder whether they'd drop the 140 from GT spec. It does seem daft that you can get a 140TDI in GT spec but not a more powerful 1.4TSI 160.

Sorry for hijackiing the GTD thread with Scirocco talk, but i'm waiting on a 170TDI Scirocco - hopefully there'll be one in time for the next plates in Sept!

dod1e
01-04-2009, 07:56 PM
I think VAG have definately missed a trick here. I dont like BMW, but the GTD should have an engine like the 123d, and i'd buy a 123d just for the engine over this new GTD.

it has a 2.0 litre twin turbo diesel with 204 bhp, 400nm and does 54mpg, 139g/km CO2.

Then can remap to around 250bhp. VW has a lot of catching up to do which is a pity as I'd rather hae a golf, but would defect just for this engine.

maisbitt
02-04-2009, 08:10 AM
I'd never defect for a 1 series - they are just too ugly....3 series maybe. The 1 series has a very cheap and cramped interior.

The 1 series seems to be the BMW for those that can't afford a BMW, and for that they are built to a price, not a spec.

dod1e
02-04-2009, 09:38 AM
To be honest, i've never been near a 1 series, so you are probably right.

The point I was trying to make was that VW should have had an equivalent spec engine for the GTD, for me they have missed out on an opportunity here. Many will be disappointed I feel.

WeegieBob
02-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Good article on the GTD in this weeks Auto Express.

WeegieBob.

knt
02-04-2009, 06:54 PM
This won't really do for a hot hatch.

I think if people want a fast car they aren't too bothered about fuel costs, plus the claimed figures aren't that great.

Maybe to sell this VW have only opted for 140PS diesel engine in the GT range so that they can sell this for a higher price than GT spec as it's GTi spec.

I think if VW upped the power to 200+PS will be more like a hot hatch GTi diesel but the fuel economy won't be as impressive as quoted.

Not a great buy I must say, rather go for the petrol GTi instead.

maisbitt
03-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Off the mark the 170 TDI it is only a second behind the GTI (0-62mph), but 50-80, in the "normal" overtaking range there's nothing really between the 2 cars. The 170 loses out 0-62 because it doesn't have enough grip for the torque it has in 2nd gear. No matter what the weather, my 170TDI will not keep 100% grip if it is floored in 2nd gear at 20mph.

Let's face it, the GTI isn't impressive these days when you have the Leon Cupra, the Focus ST and the Renaultsport Megane all with at least 225PS. People buy the GTI over those 3 because it is a better all round car - refined and practical when you want it to be and pretty fast when you want it to be - it's 2 cars in one, and holds it's value well. The other 3 are just fast cars for the richer than average boy racer charva.

dod1e
03-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Well is all that not a good case for a 4wd version with an equivalent engine to the 123d?

maisbitt
03-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Maybe that's why you can't buy a 2WD Audi TT with the 170TDI, it's only available with Quattro. The TT 0 - 62 time is 7.5 seconds.

Not sure how much of that 0.6 seconds difference with the equivalent Golf is down to 4WD and how much is down to any weight differences.

onzarob
03-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Look it got nothing to do with how well it performs in each chassis, it all to do with marketing and sales.

They don't want the diesel to be the flagship car in the golf range. they don't want the sirrocco to be sold with all ranges of diesel so they move more golfs...which they are setup to sell more of etc etc.

The factories are set to produce X golfs Y rocs and Z TT's they try and spread the market and don't duplicate to areas.

I hope that in time this will change with what has happen recently and car will be more configurable, but it may come at a price :(

maisbitt
03-04-2009, 11:58 AM
If I can't get a new Scirocco available with a 170TDI when I change in Sept 09 or Mar 10, i'll probably go for a year old A5 with the 2.0TFSI Valvelift engine for the same money. Why can't they put that engine in the GTI? 43mpg and 211PS - it could be a diesel killer!

At least i'd get some breakdown cover with the Audi - why is VW the only company in the VAG group that only give 1 years breakdown with their new cars? I don't think it is down to the reliability being so great (major warranty work with my last 3 new VW's!)