PDA

View Full Version : Help Please Airbag Fault

wickscorrie
26-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi everyone
I have an airbag fault coming up on my 2004 VW Sharan Carat 1.9tdi computer.It goes out once the vehicle is started.I had a diagnosis scan on it and 2 faults showed up.( 01218 032 side airbag igniter p/side n-200) and ( 01589 032 front passenger head airbag igniter n-252) both say Resistance to High could anyone please give me advice on what this may be.

martin1810
26-03-2009, 09:34 PM
This usually means a poor/dirty connection in the wireing, probably the connectors in and under the seat. You can try cleaning them. Safer to disconnect battery first and wait 10 minutes before cleaning. You will need a scan and reset afterwards.

wickscorrie
26-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Thank You will try this

wickscorrie
30-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi I had the connectors checked out The connector below the passenger side seat which you have to disconnect to remove the seat has been removed and the wires connected together at a local garage.Seemingly this is what Volkswagen recommend to do Had the system checked again to see if it would clear the 2 fault codes and it remains the same.Any more suggestions greatly appreciated.:(

martin1810
30-03-2009, 07:37 PM
There is another connector further up inside the seat where it joins the airbag, but to be honest it sounds like you need an expert to investigate the resistances. It's not really safe to diy this unless you feel confident with electronics. One mistake and the airbag can take your head off.

wickscorrie
30-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi Matin
Thanks for your help maybe worth a look.Was looking through handbooks Airbag section and noticed the airbag warning light that comes on when you turn the ignition on to do its system check is not lighting up on the instrument cluster in the vehicle.Its only the airbag fault in red that shows and it goes away as soon as the vehicle is started?I wonder if any other owners of the Sharan/Galaxy/Alhambra could maybe let me know if their airbag light shows when ignition is turned on to incorporate a check on the system before starting their vehicle.Sorry for the longwinded reply Martin but the plot seems to be thickening?.

wickscorrie
02-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Hi
I managed to have a look at the instrument cluster of another vehicle the same as my one And its airbag warning light does a pre check before you start the vehicle.I wonder if is bulb? that is not illuminating or is it not lighting up due to a fault being in the system.I would have thought it would have illuminated letting you know about a fault but I am not sure.Any more advice would be most welcome.

martin1810
03-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Yes it lights to show a fault. It comes on when you turn ignition on, does a self diagnosis and then puts the light out. If It finds a fault the light stays on. You either have a blown bulb or someone has taken the bulb out to hide a fault.

paul b
04-04-2009, 12:12 AM
someone has taken the bulb out to hide a fault.
Which is exactly what the cowboys did at the garage I bought my T5 from. It does happen.

I've yet to put the bulb back in as I've not had the cluster out, but I've got VAG-COM and it gets checked for fault codes every couple of weeks.