PDA

View Full Version : Help with Very slow coolant leak..

louilester
26-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Hi all,

I have done some searching for similar issues - however not found anything, so thought I'd place a post and ask for any advice or help.

I have an early Mark 5 Golf 2.0 GT TDI, it's covered about 63,000 miles, I've done the last 20k as I bought it second hand from a dealer in Camberley.

I arranged for the cam belt to be changed and a service to be done at the end of last year as I wasn't sure that the dealer had actually serviced it before I had it (from the state of the filters this was pretty much the case - but that's another story) Also had the water pump and pulley's etc. changed. I arranged this with a local garage who was recommended.

All was well! At Christmas I treated myself to a Superchips Bluefin as they were selling them with 20% off.

This upgrade went well and the difference was pretty noticeable. After a few thousand miles however the low coolant light came on. I topped it up and took it back to the garage for his to take a look - thinking that there must be a loose hose or something from getting the cam belt and water pump change.

He tested it and found no problems, but added some dye to the coolant to try and pinpoint the problem. Returned again for a top up after about another 2-3k miles and he had a book look around. He diagnosed that the head gasket was going and coolant was leaking into the cylinder, some white smoke and sluggish starting occasionally, confirming this.

Had the head gasket replaced. However I still have coolant loss, and there's no obvious reason. No residue on any of the under trays, nothing round the expansion bottle, as far as I can see no obvious white smoke or starting problems.

Just after the head gasket replacement I did get the engine warning light with Emissions workshop! as the error. On reading the code it was V157, which related to the regulation flap in the throttle housing. However this has now as suddenly disappeared.

Sorry for the history, but I guess it all leads to now where I have a car that I love, but is very slowly (about half a litre per 1500 miles) of coolant, where it's going I have no idea and the guy at the garage has spent many hours - at no expense - looking, and now says that the next step is a strip down of the block and a pressure test, which will cost £1000's. Having had a look the inherent value has considerably declined and I can't spend that now.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Loui

GarJE
26-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Check your rad

Crasher
26-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Possibly a porous head, an extremely common problem on the early BKD engines. The standard test is to take off the inlet manifold when the engine is red hot and leave the engine with number 1 cylinders valves closed and leave it overnight to see if the back of the valves fill up with water, if they do you need a new head. Leave it too long and you will need a new turbo as well.

louilester
30-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks Guys,

The Mechanic did say that it could be a porous head, and his analysis was to strip it down and get it pressure tested. Which I'm assuming will cost in the region of £1000's.

The car has no warranty so it will all be at my expense. I do love the car - but not more than my meagre savings.

He also said that he's fully checked the system in terms of an external leak and there is none so it's unlikely to be the radiator.

I think that my best option is to trade it in, which is a shame as I've spent money on it expecting to have it long term (3 years plus), and I've only had it a year. :(

Loui

louilester
30-07-2009, 11:44 AM
By way of a final update on this problem to possibly help others...

The starter failed a week before my car was booked in for the investigation to find out what the issue was, so sadly it was towed behind the AA van to the garage were it sat all sad and lonely for a week.

The mechanic stripped the engine and had the head sent off to be pressure tested. The result came back that there was indeed a crack in the head which opened up when it was heated and caused coolant to leak into Cylinder 1 . It could be that the starter failed due to the additional load it had to cope with as the engine kept getting hydraulic lock with all the coolant in the engine.

Taking advice from my mechanic he said that a patent part would be OK. The manufacturer often making the VW parts anyway. In fact when he queried it the people who made the casing said that as it was a known issue they have made the wall slightly thicker in the place where it had cracked. An unfortunate testament to the fact that this is a common problem.

There is still a problem with the air inlet valve where it sticks, try as he might Jeremy couldn’t get it to work so I’ll get that sorted next.

During the rebuild my mechanic found that there was some wear on the cam shaft bearing shells which could cause some loss of oil pressure in the future so while it's all stripped down it was definitely worth the extra £80 to get those done (thanks to Jeremy for spotting it and letting me know).

A big thanks to Jeremy from GemTech (http://gtsport.co.uk/) whom my accountant recommended. He's helped me no end with advice and support and some good recommendations. Even though the job was a warranty job he still had the care to clean out the inlet manifold, spot a potential future expensive wear issue and also deliver the car back fully valeted, to the extent that the engine bay looks like new. I can't recommend him enough.

Phone: 01223 872911
Fax: 01223 874603
Email: info@gtsport.co.uk (info@gtsport.co.uk?subject=Web%20site%20enquiry)

I'd like to know that I can support a local business where they still care about their customers and take price in the work that they do.

I'm now a happy chappie back in my own car !! Just have to save for the rest..

FIN.