PDA

View Full Version : Audi a3 flip key 1999

mr_brett
19-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Hello I was just wondering if someone could give me a info on getting a new key for my Audi a3 as I have lost my spare key and have no other key, will I have to get all my barrels in my car changed? is there a way I can do it so I dont have to go to an Audi dealer.

WillS
29-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Hello I was just wondering if someone could give me a info on getting a new key for my Audi a3 as I have lost my spare key and have no other key, will I have to get all my barrels in my car changed? is there a way I can do it so I dont have to go to an Audi dealer.

You will have to go to an audi dealer.

I had this problem with my old A3, the new keys have to be programmed.
It wasn't too expensive (~£10-£20 IIRC)

dharbige
01-04-2007, 10:21 AM
How old is your "old A3", if you don't mind me asking? I need a new spare key for my '99 A3, and the local ******* quoted my £180 + VAT!!!

Which dealer did you get your new key from?

WillS
01-04-2007, 10:59 AM
How old is your "old A3", if you don't mind me asking? I need a new spare key for my '99 A3, and the local ******* quoted my £180 + VAT!!!

Which dealer did you get your new key from?
It was bought new in February 1998.

The key came from Wayside, my local Audii (Milton Keynes)
The key was just a key, no alarm fob or anything.

I still haven't found the old key - it's in the house somewhere!

dharbige
01-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Wayside in Bletchley? They're the ones that quoted me £180+VAT! (£110 for the key, £70 to programme it)

If the key you got is not the remote control jobby, why did it need to be programmed? Does it have an immobiliser chip in it? Did the £10-£20 include the programming?

My car is a '99 A3 1.8T, so I would imagine it would use the same type of key.

Cheers.

WillS
01-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Wayside in Bletchley? They're the ones that quoted me £180+VAT! (£110 for the key, £70 to programme it)

If the key you got is not the remote control jobby, why did it need to be programmed? Does it have an immobiliser chip in it? Did the £10-£20 include the programming?
My car is a '99 A3 1.8T, so I would imagine it would use the same type of key.
Cheers.
The same Wayside!
If memory serves me it did include key and programming (+VAT probably)
I was amazed how cheap itwas!

It was just the key - no immobiliser. The works with the locking /unlocking OK I presume they're all the same and have to be programmed to the car.

Look at http://www.steveslockshop.com/VW-hi-sec.htm

It would be 5 years ago, I now have a '02' A3

dharbige
01-04-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm very confused now.

Why would a key without an immobiliser chip need to be programmed?

WillS
02-04-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm very confused now.
Why would a key without an immobiliser chip need to be programmed?

One key fits all.

You may be interested to know there are several keys on Ebay, along with instructions how to do your own programming.

italianrat182
07-04-2007, 12:18 PM
i also need a new key for my 1998 a3. where was this quote from wills?

ini
07-04-2007, 01:37 PM
All A3 keys have an immobiliser capsule inside them (except USA).

You can buy the correct key or flip key from ebay, but you will have to have the immobiliser capsule swapped or synched to the car for the ignition to work properly.

With the older fixed code type the proceedure was, take all keys to Audi and get all imob capsules changed and new set synched to car.