PDA

View Full Version : Attention Let the insults begin!

speed12
25-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Evening all.

Not sure why I am posting this as im sure it will lead to many insults! :o

For the past few months I have been contemplating trading in my beloved Bora TDI and getting...... dare i say it a BMW Z4 3.0....

My reaosn is simple. i took one for a test drive before christmas and fell in love with the handling, the looks, the smooth yet powerfull engine and of course the sound of the straight 6.

Im currently 25 and have always had sensible cars, and feel like a bit of fun before i get tied down with mortgage and bills etc, the louts elise is too hard core for the mileage I do, I dont like the looks of the boxter or old shape TT and the New TT is too expensive.

In an ideal world I would keep my Bora for the work run and have a sports car for the weekend, but I cannot afford to run both, so I guess I see the Z4 for as a compromise between raw performance and a comfortable cruiser.

The running costs have scared me a little, however It would only need 1 service a year Vs the Boras 2, the insurance is not actually that much more (because of the mods I have on the Bora) and speaking to people on the Z4 forum many of them are getting hi 30's mpg when driven sensibly, which is not that bad when petrol is 10p a litre cheaper.

So there you are, I am considering it.... Its not definate and if it does happen it wont be for a few months.

Am I mad??

Speed12

elvismiggell
26-03-2009, 10:20 AM
It depends...

Are you looking at a soft top or a coupe?

If you're going for a soft top I personally think the Porsche Boxter makes much more sense, much more boot space in terms of practicality.

Depending on what you're looking to spend the Boxter is pretty good value for money as well.

If you're looking for a coupe, I agree it's a lovely car. I doubt you'll find a Cayman and I agree about the Audis.

You might want to consider an RX8, or, dare I say it, a 350Z?!?

What about something like an R32? I know it's less coupe ish, but they're a hell of a lot of fun, and somewhat cheaper to live with I'd imagine?

MalcQV
26-03-2009, 01:58 PM
So there you are, I am considering it.... Its not definate and if it does happen it wont be for a few months.

Am I mad??

No do it, this is not a dress rehearsal. ;)

paul b
26-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Am I mad??
If you can live with being associated with a Satanmobile, and can live with being referred to as a w*nker because of the car you drive then you may as well do it.

You see, we who drive Audis are only referred to as *****, so we actually are superior to w*nkers. :biglaugh:

Anyway, life is for living so if its something you really want, go for it. :fing02:

Sam
26-03-2009, 04:24 PM
No do it, this is not a dress rehearsal. ;)

Your money, your life, if you can do it, have always wanted to do it and have the option to do it - do it!

elvismiggell
26-03-2009, 04:34 PM
If you can live with being associated with a Satanmobile, and can live with being referred to as a w*nker because of the car you drive then you may as well do it.

You see, we who drive Audis are only referred to as *****, so we actually are superior to w*nkers. :biglaugh:

Anyway, life is for living so if its something you really want, go for it. :fing02:

Ahem... surely c*cks are inferior to w*nkers because c*cks get w*nked by w*nkers but w*nkers get nothing done to them by c*cks.

I've seen too many Kevin Smith films.

Anyway!

My point stands, go for it, but i'm not sure I'd go for the Z4, there's some other good options out there!

paul b
26-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Ahem... surely c*cks are inferior to w*nkers because c*cks get w*nked by w*nkers but w*nkers get nothing done to them by c*cks.

I've seen too many Kevin Smith films.

Anyway!

My point stands, go for it, but i'm not sure I'd go for the Z4, there's some other good options out there!
Would you rather be referred to as a w*nker or a ****? :p

Back on topic, have you thought about the Honda S2000? Okay its Jap but red line @ 8,000 rpm? Imagine the noise! If you were to buy that you would have to get the 2004 onwards facelift version...

Flying Scot
26-03-2009, 04:56 PM
When you get your Z4, will your husband continue to drive a mans car??

B8 TDI
26-03-2009, 05:11 PM
When you get your Z4, will your husband continue to drive a mans car??

:biglaugh: beat me to it.

mluton
26-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Do it mate, I had my roadster car fun before my vRS and now have a nipper on the way, So no 2 seater for a few years now.

elvismiggell
26-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Back on topic, have you thought about the Honda S2000? Okay its Jap but red line @ 8,000 rpm? Imagine the noise! If you were to buy that you would have to get the 2004 onwards facelift version...

I've heard they can be rather twitchy at the rear end, but it's a good point well made.

What about a Daihatsu Copen....?

I still think you should go for the Boxster myself.

RickT
26-03-2009, 11:06 PM
I say GO FOR IT!

you will enjoy it i know..... thats unless you wanna buy a 04 plate BMW 645ci from me.... :biglaugh:

Rick

elvismiggell
27-03-2009, 09:24 AM
I say GO FOR IT!

you will enjoy it i know..... thats unless you wanna buy a 04 plate BMW 645ci from me.... :biglaugh:

Rick

How much?

*empties pockets...*

MalcQV
27-03-2009, 12:58 PM
I say GO FOR IT!

Rick
you kept that quiet :beerchug:

I say GO FOR IT!

you will enjoy it i know..... thats unless you wanna buy a 04 plate BMW 645ci for me.... :biglaugh:

Rick

EFA

Or is it?

RickT
27-03-2009, 01:48 PM
How much?

*empties pockets...*

The car is actually "owned" by a friend of mine... .. i do all the the hard work... he spends the cash!

It will be going for around 14K - 15k or offers when ready

79k on the clock... full leather, all the toys you would expect (speech control I drive) ((or what ever its called.))

AM/FM Stereo, CD Player, Navigation System, Premium Sound System
Service History: -- Interior/Comfort Options: Air Conditioning, Auxiliary heating, Climate Control, Cruise Control, Electric heated seats, Leather Seats, Parking Sensors, Power-assisted Steering (PAS), Power Locks, Power Seats, Power Windows, Sunroof, Tilt Steering Wheel
Safety Features: Alarm, Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS), Driver Airbag, Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Immobiliser, Passenger Airbag, Rear seat belts, Safety Belt Pretensioners, Side Airbags, Xenon headlights

Fully loaded...

I will post it in the FOR SALE section once its ready.

Rick

elvismiggell
27-03-2009, 02:28 PM
The car is actually "owned" by a friend of mine... .. i do all the the hard work... he spends the cash!

79k on the clock... full leather, all the toys you would expect (speech control I drive) ((or what ever its called.))

Service History: -- Interior/Comfort Options: Air Conditioning, Auxiliary heating, Climate Control, Cruise Control, Electric heated seats, Leather Seats, Parking Sensors, Power-assisted Steering (PAS), Power Locks, Power Seats, Power Windows, Sunroof, Tilt Steering Wheel
Safety Features: Alarm, Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS), Driver Airbag, Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Immobiliser, Passenger Airbag, Rear seat belts, Safety Belt Pretensioners, Side Airbags, Xenon headlights

Fully loaded...

Rick

:mad: Need money!

Not that I could afford to insure it!

RickT
27-03-2009, 03:28 PM
:mad: Need money!

Not that I could afford to insure it!

In fact there pretty cheap to insure....

macmillions
27-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Would you consider 1340 a year cheap!?

That was my quote from Direct Line when I punched in the details...
I need to get old...
Damn being 22 and male!

speed12
27-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Evening all, thanks for all the posts.

I'll ignore the ones referring to Z4 drivers as girls.... lol.

I stand by the fact that no 3 litre rear wheel drive, 6 cylinder, long bonneted car is girly... more like a proper sports car.

To answer the questions about alternatives, I was fortunate enough to work in Nissans R&D centre for a year and got to drive a few similar cars.

Nissan 350Z - Feels alot heavier, wider and lazier than the Z4, its just as quick but its not as agile. Its also alot thirstier (20-25mpg if you are lucky) and insurance is actually more.

Honda S2000 - THese are great fun, but I could not imagine driving one every day for the mileage i do (typically 400 miles a week). The engine is good but only when you are in the mood for it. Other times its annoying as there is nothing low down. The car is also insurance group 20 and barely returns 20mpg.

Porsche Boxster - I agree that in theory this is the better car, however I do not like the styling, and I do find them a bit girly. I like the long bonnet on the Z4 and the fact that you sit at the back of the car, not the middle. The boxster is I am sure the better car, but really the handling differences are only going to be noticed when driving at its limits.

So there we are!

As for hot hatches, I have considred various cars, Astra VXR, Volvo C30 T5 etc but I just have this thing with wanting a two seater, i guess the hot hatch can follow on from that....!

Thanks for the replies guys, its always good to hear peoples opinions.

So i guess I will wait and see. Unfortunately chris Knott insurance will not cover me on a rear wheel drive car because I dont have 1 year experience :mad: so have to wait until may when the policy runs out.

MalcQV
28-03-2009, 03:45 PM

Fully loaded...

Rick

That does sound awfully cheap Rick.

Evening all, thanks for all the posts.

I'll ignore the ones referring to Z4 drivers as girls.... lol.

I stand by the fact that no 3 litre rear wheel drive, 6 cylinder, long bonneted car is girly... more like a proper sports car.

I agree to the point that I believe even the humble MX5 is no girly car.

elvismiggell
29-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Well it certainly sounds like you know your stuff!

I reckon a Z4 it is then...

I'd still go for a 2 or 3 year old Boxter myself... well, actually the Cayman but there we go!

Col
29-03-2009, 04:53 PM
I've recently replaced my Passat with a A6.

I was seriously looking at getting an early version of the current 5 series.

The Audi won though as I have VCDS and I got it for a song.

I think there is a lot of truth in the saying 'ultimate driving machine' it is just the image and fact that nobody will let you out of junctions! Saying that Audi's are catching up fast in those stakes.

RickT
29-03-2009, 11:44 PM
That does sound awfully cheap Rick.

Buy cheap.... sell cheap.. make a small profit, give the buyer a good deal... everyone is happy!

Quick turn around in the current market..

Rick