PDA

View Full Version : Golf VI How long does it take to come when ordered

JJackson
25-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Ordered a Golf VI 1.4 TSI SE last week and was told today that the build week is 23 (first week of June) are they really taking this long to come?

VictorPapa
25-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Looks like that's about the norm. I ordered mine 4 weeks ago in the last week of Feb and it's in for build week 17...20th April. Dealer says that the very earliest he would expect it is 11th May.....still eight weeks away :(

Don't forget that you have to allow about 3 weeks from the build week.

JJackson
25-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Is that right it only takes 3 weeks from the build date - does that include shipping.

VictorPapa
25-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Seems to be mate....look through the posts on the last page on this one:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=61356&page=9

jattberik
25-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Mine was bulit on week 10,and i'll pick it up this sat 28thmarch

WeegieBob
25-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Ordered second week in January - scheduled for build week 12 - delivery 1st April = 10 weeks + or -

WeegieBob.

mr gee
27-03-2009, 05:30 AM
No waiting in Australia. I ordered mine 118TSI on thursday and picked it up monday this week.

One of the best cars I've bought

knt
27-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Probably means one has been pre-built matching your requirements, that's why no waiting time required.

Like when I ordered, they had a pre-built matching my requirements apart from wheels. But still took them over 1-2 months (from Germany to UK) for me to take delivery, otherwise wait would've been longer.

No waiting in Australia. I ordered mine 118TSI on thursday and picked it up monday this week.

One of the best cars I've bought

mr gee
28-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Yes, I was lucky in that respect. Only caveat was I wanted mine with Bridgestone RE-050 tyres and they managed to do that as well.

Very happy with my purchase.

netherfield
28-03-2009, 04:21 PM
My dealer reckons they are having trouble with shipping,above 30 overdue for March already.

peterrowdy
28-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Ordered a 5 door GT 1.4TSI (160 ps) on 4th March which was in the German port ready to ship (Steel Grey + convenience pack + 2 zone air conditioning) and was told two weeks delivery to me maximum. Told by dealer today that its still on its way and they have a big backlog of orders that were due to be delivered in March which will affect their targets.

WeegieBob
28-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Ordered second week in January - scheduled for build week 12 - delivery 1st April = 10 weeks + or -

I ordered a GT (140) TDi 3-door in red, with Winter & Convenience packs, 510 radio upgrade and Vancouver 18" wheel option on as it turns out the third week in January (19th) and it was confirmed today of delivery to me on the 1st April at 3pm - from walking into the showroom to driving out it will have taken 10 weeks 3 days.

WeegieBob.

HHGTTG
29-03-2009, 07:56 PM
As you may all know, I ordered my car, with sunroof, on 26th Feb and was told that I would not get it for about 12 weeks, probably minimum.
The week after next, it will have been on order six weeks and so I'll do a bit of phoning and ask them if they have a build date yet!!
The blighters, like last time I ordered a new car, never liaised with me much, at all.

djradium
31-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Ordered my car on the 13t of Feb, was built last week (build week 13) got a call from the dealer today to say its on the ship coming over now :)

Dave B
31-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Ordered my car on the 13t of Feb, was built last week (build week 13) got a call from the dealer today to say its on the ship coming over now :)
Ordered 13th.....Build week 13......Hope its not a lemon

djradium
31-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Ordered 13th.....Build week 13......Hope its not a lemon

It was Friday the 13th too, we also live at number 13 ;)

Reading the post about backlogs of orders for march, where do you people live in the UK. I am from newcastle and VW have a huge distribution centre here (was down there today looking at all those shiny golfs waiting to be picked up) and there is constant car ships offloading. I suppose VW has other distribution centres at other uk ports.

JoseSpring
31-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Hmmmm. Mine was confirmed as having been built in Wk12, but I haven't had a call from the dealer yet. Maybe I should chase them. Again.

Griff449
31-03-2009, 09:16 PM
I have been told mine is week 15.................. ?

lchrisl
31-03-2009, 09:55 PM
ordered 16th feb phoned them yesterday confirmed pick up 15th may

djradium
31-03-2009, 10:28 PM
I have been told mine is week 15.................. ?

Thats next week :)

Griff449
01-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Thats next week :)

:) Maybe I get it earlier then expected then!

bayern_iron
01-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Have been looking for a new car here in Germany since they introduced the €2,500 scrapping bonus. VW also apply a discount of €2,500 on top of this. Obviously getting €5k off a new Golf is a great offer and judging by how busy the sales guys are the orders are flooding in. I just ordered mine today and delivery was quoted at July/August so around 15 weeks. Still it's summer and the motorbike beckons for the next 6 months...

HHGTTG
01-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Phoned Milton Keynes today to clarify delivery/lead times for my order which is to include a sunroof.
I was told that current delivery is 16 weeks from order and so my car should be with me second week in June!! (ordered 26th Feb 2009).

vdubdavy
01-04-2009, 10:18 PM
I ordered a GT (140) TDi 3-door in red, with Winter & Convenience packs, 510 radio upgrade and Vancouver 18" wheel option on as it turns out the third week in January (19th) and it was confirmed today of delivery to me on the 1st April at 3pm - from walking into the showroom to driving out it will have taken 10 weeks 3 days.

WeegieBob.

:drive:Well,did you get it?:drive:

WeegieBob
01-04-2009, 10:29 PM
:drive:Well,did you get it?:drive:

Got it this afternoon davy -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/MacHaverings/VWGolf-March2009006.jpg

WeegieBob. :D:D:D:D:D

vdubdavy
01-04-2009, 10:40 PM
It looks stunning Bob

Well worth the wait

Dave B
02-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Have been looking for a new car here in Germany since they introduced the €2,500 scrapping bonus. VW also apply a discount of €2,500 on top of this. Obviously getting €5k off a new Golf is a great offer and judging by how busy the sales guys are the orders are flooding in. I just ordered mine today and delivery was quoted at July/August so around 15 weeks. Still it's summer and the motorbike beckons for the next 6 months...

Wish we had deals like that. Corkills my local dealer wouldn't budge.
(Hope they go bust...........serve them right)

mr gee
02-04-2009, 10:39 AM
they should do that here as well instead of throwing it at the car makers. in this way, it stimulates the system all the way from consumer to manufacturer

Dave B
02-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Looks nice.....................Doors need a plastic bump strip or they are gonna look a mess when you get some pillock parks next to you and he throws his door open against your shinny new car.

VW cost cutting? (Not even on the options list.)

Griff449
02-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Nice first pic of a real GT I have seen so far...................... must be more out there lol

golfman2
02-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Ordered a Golf VI 1.4 TSI SE last week and was told today that the build week is 23 (first week of June) are they really taking this long to come?
I ordered mine the first week of Feb and have been given a build date of week 16 which is the middle of April, I don't know if that means the car is finished on week 16 or started on week 16.I have been told that three to four weeks after the build week I could have the car.:zx11:

HHGTTG
02-04-2009, 10:55 PM
I ordered mine the first week of Feb and have been given a build date of week 16 which is the middle of April, I don't know if that means the car is finished on week 16 or started on week 16.I have been told that three to four weeks after the build week I could have the car.:zx11:

How soon after placing your order i.e the first week of February, were you given that build date or were you given it immediately or very soon after?

lchrisl
02-04-2009, 11:09 PM
How soon after placing your order i.e the first week of February, were you given that build date or were you given it immediately or very soon after?

You should be given a build date when you order the car

JoseSpring
02-04-2009, 11:33 PM
You should be given a build date when you order the car

Not necessarily.
I ordered mine back on 25th November.
It was Wk8 before I had a Wk12 build confirmed.
I'm now expecting delivery next week or the week after.
5 (FIVE!!!) bloomin' months.

HHGTTG
03-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Well I wish there was some consistency here, before I go in with all guns blazing and have a row with my dealer. Some telling me the build date should be given shortly after ordering and others quite a few weeks later.

The trouble is that when I discuss matters such as this with friends and acquaintances there is disbelief in anything I say regarding ordering a new car, which, according to recent press have fields of cars hanging around without buyers.

JJackson
03-04-2009, 10:08 AM
I ordered my car on 17 March and after about 1-2 weeks was given my build date of week 23 which is first week of June. However dealers did say not to take this as definite as sometimes it is brought forward and that they would keep me posted. Before when we have ordered VW we have been told 10 - 12 weeks but looking at this forum it seems that at the moment they are taking longer. When we brought our Eos it did take longer than the time we were given. With regards to them sitting in fields the dealer did check their supplies at compund for us but they did not have our specific requirements and that is why we have to wait - we are having a sunroof which I understand from a previous forum appears to be taking longer!

HHGTTG
03-04-2009, 10:21 AM
I ordered my car on 17 March and after about 1-2 weeks was given my build date of week 23 which is first week of June. However dealers did say not to take this as definite as sometimes it is brought forward and that they would keep me posted. Before when we have ordered VW we have been told 10 - 12 weeks but looking at this forum it seems that at the moment they are taking longer. When we brought our Eos it did take longer than the time we were given. With regards to them sitting in fields the dealer did check their supplies at compund for us but they did not have our specific requirements and that is why we have to wait - we are having a sunroof which I understand from a previous forum appears to be taking longer!

I have now phoned VW Milton Keynes and they told me that they need a Commission number before they could give me any information about my order.
I then phoned my dealer and explained that I would like a bit more information about my order as I had not been given any Commission number or, as yet, had not been given a build date despite having ordered my car 6 week ago (next Thursday).

He said that he would like to go and look at their records and then phone me back - which he did.
He gave me the Commission number, which is usually used internally only, and gave me a build week of 23 which is a result and so delivery should be the middle of June (hopefully earlier) which is 16 weeks from the date of order. and indeed is really the time as originally forecast.

:D

Griff449
03-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Well mine is week 15 and have been told to expect it middle of May...............

golfman2
03-04-2009, 06:38 PM
I ordered a golf 2.0gt in white the first week of february and have since been told the build week is 16.I don't know if that means it will be finished or started on week 16 and Idon't know how much longer after that to expect it.

HHGTTG
03-04-2009, 09:05 PM
I ordered a golf 2.0gt in white the first week of february and have since been told the build week is 16.I don't know if that means it will be finished or started on week 16 and Idon't know how much longer after that to expect it.

This means that it will be made in that week and then shipped etc. You will get it about 2/3 weeks later, if I've got my facts right.

nokiauk
03-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Well mine is week 15 and have been told to expect it middle of May...............

Mine is also week 15 (next week) dealer phoned today saying he expected delivery within the next couple of weeks and to bring in the paperwork for my old car to get that processed, and to enable my reg to be transferred as soon as possible after delivery.

golfman2
03-04-2009, 11:20 PM
thanks

golfman2
12-04-2009, 07:56 AM
had an e mail from vw saying the car has been made and has gone through the checks,still no idea when I will be able to pick it up.

golfman2
12-04-2009, 07:59 AM
given build date about three weeks ago after badgering the dealer

HHGTTG
12-04-2009, 11:30 AM
given build date about three weeks ago after badgering the dealer

Why, or why do we have to badger our dealers? After 6 weeks I phoned Milton Keynes and they said that in order to give me a build date that they'd require the Commission number.
A phone call to my dealer seemed to stir some interest and they then told me the build date as well as the Commission number.
Deep down I perhaps knew when my car would be ready (about middle of June - ordered Feb. 26th) but some info. would have been welcome.
:(

nokiauk
12-04-2009, 11:35 AM
I get the impression that most dealers are rubbish.

I on the other hand can't complain, my dealer has phoned or e-mailed me every week giving me updates on my car.

HHGTTG
12-04-2009, 11:52 AM
I get the impression that most dealers are rubbish.

I on the other hand can't complain, my dealer has phoned or e-mailed me every week giving me updates on my car.

You are indeed privileged to have such attention. I know from previous experience with my dealer (when I bought my current MK 5) that I would have to do all the chasing and am quite prepared for this.
7 weeks have nearly passed and so 9 weeks to go, as of next Thursday.

It's a nuisance as you have to be careful and hope that you don't have an accident with the car you are putting in p/x.

WeegieBob
12-04-2009, 01:18 PM

I'm still waiting after my second approach 6 months ago for Arnold Clark to call me telling me the Fiat 500 Abarth had been launched in the showrooms - and hence the reason I bought a VW!

That is very good communication nokiauk. :D

WeegieBob.

Honeychild
12-04-2009, 05:36 PM
I ordered mine on 16th March and was told that it would take 10 weeks. I phoned the dealer a week later and asked if I could add a leather steering wheel to the order only to be told that that would delay my car by over a month (build week 26 instead of build week 22).

djradium
12-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Ordered my car on the 13th of Feb, i pick it up on Tuesday. 2 months and 1 day :)

nokiauk
12-04-2009, 07:13 PM
I wonder why certain options delay things, considering all the options I put on mine to get my delivery within 7-8 weeks is pretty good.

djradium
12-04-2009, 10:25 PM
I wonder why certain options delay things, considering all the options I put on mine to get my delivery within 7-8 weeks is pretty good.

Perhaps, on mine i had the following

Winter pack
Luxuary pack
2 zone
510 radio
ACC suspension

Honeychild
12-04-2009, 10:26 PM
The dealer told me that a sunroof would delay matters considerably (I didn't want that option), but I didn't think that adding a leather steering wheel would add a further month to the wait when the car hasn't even been built?

HHGTTG
12-04-2009, 11:05 PM
The dealer told me that a sunroof would delay matters considerably (I didn't want that option), but I didn't think that adding a leather steering wheel would add a further month to the wait when the car hasn't even been built?

And guess who has a sunroof as an option? Yes, good old me and I have had to pay the price with a 16 week delivery time.

Honeychild
13-04-2009, 12:43 AM
Perhaps, on mine i had the following

Winter pack
Luxuary pack
2 zone
510 radio
ACC suspension

I ordered:
Winter Pack
Park Assist (as I am a girl) ;)
Tinted windows

When I asked them to add the steering wheel after I put the order in, they wanted me to wait another month. I'm not going to bother with the wheel. Wanted the camera and the 510 radio but that was a further 6 weeks on the order. Again, I won't be bothering with the additional bits.

elvismiggell
13-04-2009, 12:23 PM
I would hazard a guess that it's to do with production schedules. I don't know how their factory works, but it's conceivable that items such as 2Zone and Luxury Packs are more common and thus they do more regular production runs of these cars, whereas a sunroof is a less common selection and therefore is produced less often, hence a longer wait.

HHGTTG
13-04-2009, 04:37 PM
I would hazard a guess that it's to do with production schedules. I don't know how their factory works, but it's conceivable that items such as 2Zone and Luxury Packs are more common and thus they do more regular production runs of these cars, whereas a sunroof is a less common selection and therefore is produced less often, hence a longer wait.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. However, things were obviously different over four years ago when I ordered my current car. There were no ridiculous delays then, with a sunroof-speccd. car. I got mine in just under 10 weeks IIRC.

WeegieBob
13-04-2009, 05:14 PM
I would imagine with a body detail exception of a large hole in the roof and a limited number ordered compared to the regular options VW would "batch build" cars with the sun roof option. Most likely they will wait until they have sufficient sun roof orders and do a production run of something like 100 to make it economically efficient for the factory.

Pain in the bahooky for the customer nevertheless!

WeegieBob.

Honeychild
16-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Very strange. Last week I phoned the dealer and asked for the leather steering wheel to be added and was told it would add another month to the wait. Today I rang and asked for a 510 and rear view camera to be fitted.....and there is no additional wait, but for a simple steering wheel a month????

I'm confused.

HHGTTG
16-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Very strange. Last week I phoned the dealer and asked for the leather steering wheel to be added and was told it would add another month to the wait. Today I rang and asked for a 510 and rear view camera to be fitted.....and there is no additional wait, but for a simple steering wheel a month????

I'm confused.

Not as confused as your dealer, I bet. Why do you keep on changing your mind.
I am surprised that the dealer hasn't told you that perhaps your order is already set in tablets of stone and can't keep on being altered.
Sounds to me as thought your mucking them around a bit if you'll pardon me saying so.
;)

Honeychild
17-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Not as confused as your dealer, I bet. Why do you keep on changing your mind.
I am surprised that the dealer hasn't told you that perhaps your order is already set in tablets of stone and can't keep on being altered.
Sounds to me as thought your mucking them around a bit if you'll pardon me saying so.
;)

My dealer is absolutely fine with me wanting to add things before the build date, and I haven't got a build date set in stone hence them being able to add the camera. I was just pointing out that I thought it was strange that fitting a leather steering wheel would be so problematic, that's all.

Ah well.

mr gee
17-04-2009, 01:11 AM
It could be that there's stock of the car in the configuration you wanted. but none with the leather steering wheel and thus have to wait till the next build batch

HHGTTG
17-04-2009, 09:18 AM
My dealer is absolutely fine with me wanting to add things before the build date, and I haven't got a build date set in stone hence them being able to add the camera. I was just pointing out that I thought it was strange that fitting a leather steering wheel would be so problematic, that's all.

Ah well.

Quite so. But does your dealer or yourself then tear up the old bill of sale, as you are then presumably issued with a new one, outlining your new requirements and deposit details and any part exchange on any used car you might be offering.

Somehow, from past experience and of letters I've read about people wanting to cancel orders is that things can be very awkward. I suppose the difference is that they are still keeping your business whereas others have changed their minds and want to withdraw from their contracts.

Still, I would be loathe to tinker with my order, which is already a 16 week wait, as I have ordered mine with a sunroof. The thought of having to wait any longer, should I want to add further options, is anathema to me.

JoseSpring
18-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Took delivery of my car this afternoon. And I can confirm it's been worth the 5 month wait!
What a beauty!
I've the car in my sig - it's as smooth to drive as my much larger outgoing Passat, but with wellies of power. And the 3dr design has grown on me to the extent that I love it now.
Loads of toys inside mean I'll be playing with it for weeks before I learn what everything does.

JCClem
18-04-2009, 04:40 AM
I ordered my car 12th Feb - delivered 11th April, so seemed to have done rather well

1.4 gt tsi 18" wheels, park assist, metallic, convienience pack, bluetooth, paddle shift, storage pack.

WeegieBob
18-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Took delivery of my car this afternoon. And I can confirm it's been worth the 5 month wait!
What a beauty!
I've the car in my sig - it's as smooth to drive as my much larger outgoing Passat, but with wellies of power. And the 3dr design has grown on me to the extent that I love it now.
Loads of toys inside mean I'll be playing with it for weeks before I learn what everything does.

Its good isn't it Jo! :)

Pics to follow soon I hope?

WeegieBob.

golfman2
18-04-2009, 09:35 PM
mine is on the boat and coming hopefully the end of this month,ordered the first week of feb,yippee

vdubdavy
18-04-2009, 10:25 PM
mine is on the boat and coming hopefully the end of this month,ordered the first week of feb,yippee

Hopefully mine will be beside it

JoseSpring
20-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Pics to follow soon I hope?

Just as soon as I clean it - I seem coated it in dirt driving down country lanes all weekend!

Still loving it :)

Blackthorn
20-04-2009, 01:58 PM
It looks like it is the sunroof that delays it, which makes sense as it's a different bodyshell. Everything else just bolts on.
I ordered on the 12th March and have been told build week 22 which is consistent with JJackson who ordered on the 17th and got build week 23. My dealer has told me to expect it about three weeks after the build week, so in total that will be 13 weeks. They also said it may come forward though, but will not slip back (fingers crossed!).
I've got quite an extensive list of options (Parking sensors, Rear view camera, Park Assist, Dynaudio soundpack, SatNav, Winter pack, Tyre pressure monitor, Auto hold, Front fogs, Leather multi-function wheel, Metallic paint, Mats, 2-zone Climate control and Luxury pack) and that doesn't seem to have affected it.

paul.mgrath
20-04-2009, 04:51 PM
I just ordered a Mk6 GTTDI 140 and have been told 7 -10 days.

HHGTTG
20-04-2009, 05:12 PM
I just ordered a Mk6 GTTDI 140 and have been told 7 -10 days.

Which proves?
You were willing then to accept whatever colour and specification they had, from stock held in this country or somewhere close by.

JoseSpring
20-04-2009, 10:53 PM
I've got quite an extensive list of options (Parking sensors, Rear view camera, Park Assist, Dynaudio soundpack, SatNav, Winter pack, Tyre pressure monitor, Auto hold, Front fogs, Leather multi-function wheel, Metallic paint, Mats, 2-zone Climate control and Luxury pack) and that doesn't seem to have affected it.
Wow! There's no excuse for not being able to park now!
Actually, I've got the rear view camera and 1st time I used it to parallel park I found myself more than a foot from the kerb, then I swung the door open and almost cloth-lined a poor guy walking along the pavement. Scared the hebbies out of him! I'm back the old-fashioned "turn head and look around" method.

Blackthorn
21-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Oh well, maybe the camera was a waste of money then! I had envisaged using it more to see what's behind you rather than how far from the kerb you are, but we'll have to see how I get on with it.

paul.mgrath
21-04-2009, 01:31 PM
I don't think it was a case of settling for what they had because the ordering criteria was:-

2.0 GTTDI 140 with the following extras only.
Metallic Black 1st choice colour 2nd choice and 3rd choice.
18" wheels
UK Spec

So exactly what have i compromised on?? I can't see the car sitting around in a field for very long as they haven't long since been released have they??

However, they were supposed to ring me today to confirm delivery (as they couldn't get on the system on Sunday) and at present haven't. So maybe i will be waiting a long time?? Who knows, i hope not!!

JoseSpring
21-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Oh well, maybe the camera was a waste of money then!

Waste of money?!? Not at all! It's worth every penny as a show-off gimmick! No-one believes that such a small car would have (need) one of these!

And it's actually really useful when reversing to know exactly how much further you can go back.

wjw070878
23-04-2009, 10:44 PM
I ordered mine in end of feb, GT Tdi, reflex silver, phone prep and luxury pack, it was built in week 14, it has arrived and I collect on Monday (27th). I can't wait!

I tried my Blackberry Pearl with the phone prep a couple of days ago, it found the phone, started to pair and then crashes. The dealer may have a fix, i'll keep you posted.

HHGTTG
24-04-2009, 09:14 AM
I have to say, as an aside, that despite their obvious popularity here, I have only seen two MK 6's on the road or rather one on the road and the other on a trailer - not sure whether the latter was a breakdown recovery trailer or a small delivery one!!
Where are all these new cars and where is mine - 8 weeks down and another 8 weeks max. to go (hopefully)

JoseSpring
24-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Where are all these new cars

Fingers crossed, mine's in the work carpark. that's where I left it this morning. a second one turned up in the carpark this week too, so I'm starting to see them around...

HHGTTG
24-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Funnily enough I went out today and whilst driving over some crossroad nearby with traffic light control I saw one stationary (thank goodness) waiting to cross.
It was in a pale-ish metallic blue - looked smart and very obvious. Have to say, though, it looks less 'butch' than the MK 5 and rather more delicate looking with no protective side strips and all the other external decoration that the 'old' car has.

netherfield
24-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Just had word from the dealer ,car arrives next monday for delivery next wednesday,got the reg no and insurance sorted today.
This was from build week 14.

vdubdavy
27-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Thankfully the 10 week wait is nearly over, all being well i should be able to pick the car up on wednesday night.

I was even lucky enough to catch a glimpse of it sitting on the transporter when i passed the dealers compound on my way home from work.:banana:

manic-vw
29-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Cant wait!!
I had ordered a 5 door 1.4 GT at end of March, just been informed my build week is Wk22. hopefully I'll get it 6-8 weeks after that :beerchug:

VictorPapa
29-04-2009, 12:54 PM
manic-vw.....I'm sure if it's completed in wk 22, you'll get it sooner than 6-8 weeks.

My dealer told me last Monday that my TDi GT was completed on that day (week 17), had had it's final 'bodyshell check', and is now awaiting shipping. He says it could be this week and his estimate is 2-3 weeks max before I can have it. Can't wait now...getting excited.

manic-vw
29-04-2009, 02:29 PM
I thought that build week date was the start of construction rather than completion.
Also dealer said if it gets on a ship stright after completion it might shave off 7-10 days from the 6-8 weeks wait.

HHGTTG
29-04-2009, 03:33 PM
I thought that build week date was the start of construction rather than completion.
Also dealer said if it gets on a ship stright after completion it might shave off 7-10 days from the 6-8 weeks wait.

No one, to my limited knowledge, would wait 6/8 weeks after the build date. I have always been told here and elsewhere that it is usually 3 weeks, as a maximum.

manic-vw
29-04-2009, 04:17 PM
my mistake, they did mean 3/4 weeks from build week date,!!!
WOW just shaved my wait time post build date by 50% :)

jdjd1234
30-04-2009, 01:37 AM
Ordered my GTI about a week ago, Im being told 3month wait, Earliest will be 30th July this normal or am I using some crappy dealer?

WeegieBob
30-04-2009, 06:30 AM
12 weeks seems to be the target time for a "new build" order as opposed to vehicles the company is building for "showroom stock".

My order took 12 weeks almost to the day, and a number of members here have been the same if they optioned extra packs to suit their own personal tastes. Those members who had shorter waits it appears were able to match their wish list to what the company was building as showroom delivery stock.

Of course, there'll always be exceptions to the rule.

WeegieBob. ;)

HHGTTG
30-04-2009, 09:38 AM
jdjd1234. Lucky old you! You must know or might not, I suppose, that by the time I get my 'special order' i.e. one with a sunroof, I will have waited 4 months. Think yourself lucky.

If in doubt, get the commission number from your dealer and phone Milton Keynes with your query/complaint.

jdjd1234
30-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Didn't opt for sunroof myself, I went for Leather,RCD with upgraded speakers, Auto Hold, Flat-tyre sensor,Monza shadows, In candy white. Been told 30th July or possibly a little bit later.
If that seems to be the normal then I wont even bother to query. Just seemed a long time as I thought sales would be well down due to the ****** economy and they could almost get along with building it almost straight away.

HHGTTG
30-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Didn't opt for sunroof myself, I went for Leather,RCD with upgraded speakers, Auto Hold, Flat-tyre sensor,Monza shadows, In candy white. Been told 30th July or possibly a little bit later.
If that seems to be the normal then I wont even bother to query. Just seemed a long time as I thought sales would be well down due to the ****** economy and they could almost get along with building it almost straight away.
It's apparently not that simple according to others who have tried to explain it to me. There aren't a group of workers sitting around waiting for orders to come in, as there are plenty of those.
In my case, the sunroof means a different top body shell and so bulk orders, for cars with sunroofs, are done at a specific time, as they have to be trimmed and fitted accordingly and they might, say, manufacture a batch of 100 such cars.
My current car with sunroof had to be ordered in 2004 and I waited about 10 weeks for that.

VictorPapa
01-05-2009, 01:28 AM

So did I as I was told that mine was on build week 17 but the dealer said last week that it was completed on Monday of week 17. Still no news as to whether or not it made the ship though:confused:....will have to give matey a call and find out.

Griff449
01-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Mine was week 15 build and has just been delivered to the dealer.................... Only problem is I cant pick it up until 20th June because I am out of the country at the mo! :( Ahhh frustrating!

nokiauk
01-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Mine also Week 15 and it arrived at the dealer a week ago, now due to the DVLA being the useless shower they are I prob won't be able to get my car till next week. Why they take over a week to process a couple of bit of paper I have no idea.

If I was doing the work myself I can do it there and then but dealers have to wait.

Edjog
01-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Mine also Week 15 and it arrived at the dealer a week ago, now due to the DVLA being the useless shower they are I prob won't be able to get my car till next week. Why they take over a week to process a couple of bit of paper I have no idea.

If I was doing the work myself I can do it there and then but dealers have to wait.

Sounds a bit strange. Most dealers now use automated first registration and licensing (AFRL) to register vehicles on www.dvlaonline.gov.uk (http://www.dvlaonline.gov.uk) .

nokiauk
01-05-2009, 09:04 PM
its a number plate transfer, last car i done myself in one day but dealer sent paperwork away monday and said it can take 7 working days

Griff449
01-05-2009, 09:39 PM
I have a private plate to go on mine but as with all my cars I wait until I get the intial registration done by the dealer and then once I get the log book do the transfer

nokiauk
02-05-2009, 07:22 AM
I have a private plate to go on mine but as with all my cars I wait until I get the intial registration done by the dealer and then once I get the log book do the transfer

I think I may do that next time I change my car, seems to speed up the process somewhat

VictorPapa
02-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Called into the dealer yesterday to drop in my registration retention certificate and found out that my car is on the high seas now.....well the English Channel anyway;) The ship sailed on 30th April so I'm told that my car should be ready for collection next Saturday. There's one more form to sign but this can't be generated until the car actually lands in the country. The first reg, even on a private plate is done at the dealership, as Edjog quite rightly points out.

This is gonna seem like one long week of waiting and my missus will get well p'd off with me being like an excited child, although that's likely to continue even after I've got the car.:D

golfman2
04-05-2009, 06:12 PM
:D my new candy white gt 140 with lux pac and front /rear parking sensors was picked up on april 28 after I ordered it on feb 7 and yes it was worth the wait.

HHGTTG
04-05-2009, 07:07 PM
:D my new candy white gt 140 with lux pac and front /rear parking sensors was picked up on april 28 after I ordered it on feb 7 and yes it was worth the wait.
Excellent. Can you therefore, if it's not too soon tell me how the front parking sensors are activated (i.e are they don manually via a switch). I presume the rear ones are activated as soon as reverse is selected?

HHGTTG
05-05-2009, 05:28 PM
I phoned my dealer today just to confirm that my build week of week 23 still was on. To my dismay I was told, after checking, that unfortunately this has deteriorated to week 31 and that a '59 registration plate might be the sensible thing to do!!!

Griff449
05-05-2009, 06:24 PM
You can have mine if you want, its sat at the dealers waiting for me to pick up next month...............

JJackson
05-05-2009, 10:19 PM
HHGTTG
Why has the build date changed from week 23 to week 31 as I was given week 23 when I ordered mine with sunroof back middle March and thought week 23 was ridiculous. This has got to be a joke. What was the reason for this change?

HHGTTG
05-05-2009, 10:35 PM
HHGTTG
Why has the build date changed from week 23 to week 31 as I was given week 23 when I ordered mine with sunroof back middle March and thought week 23 was ridiculous. This has got to be a joke. What was the reason for this change?
I don't know or at least don't understand, fully, all the guff that the blokes at Milton Keynes have given, telling me of large number of orders and special orders such as sunroofs etc. I was also told that i was mislead, to some extent, by my dealer, telling me the delivery times, that they did i.e. about 16 weeks.
Why don't you phone Milton Keynes on the number given on the back of the VW brochures and see whether you can make sense of the reasons for those delays.

JJackson
06-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Is anyone else awaiting Golf with a sunroof. If so how long have you been quoted?

HHGTTG
06-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Is anyone else awaiting Golf with a sunroof. If so how long have you been quoted?
I don't think that sunroofs are high up in our young blood's list of priorities regarding optional extras, here. They tend to go more for the internal toys not realising that a sunroof makes the interior a much more pleasanter place to be in, giving it an airier feel and improving ventilation etc.

smithysmudger
06-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Excellent. Can you therefore, if it's not too soon tell me how the front parking sensors are activated (i.e are they don manually via a switch). I presume the rear ones are activated as soon as reverse is selected?

The front are activated from a switch in front of the gear stick if you need to manually select them ie going forward only. If you have selected reverse first they will automatically start working when you go forward. ;)

nokiauk
08-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Finally picked up mine today (8th May) ordered on 20 Feb so thats taken 11 weeks. Car did arrive at dealer 2 weeks ago, DVLA took the additional two weeks.

djradium
08-05-2009, 11:12 PM
I don't think that sunroofs are high up in our young blood's list of priorities regarding optional extras, here. They tend to go more for the internal toys not realising that a sunroof makes the interior a much more pleasanter place to be in, giving it an airier feel and improving ventilation etc.

When i was a lad.... :biglaugh:

VictorPapa
09-05-2009, 08:27 PM
:arms:Picked my GT TDi 140 up today....10 weeks and 5 days from order. For those comparing spec with waiting time, here's what I ordered:

Deep Black Pearl, Black Leather, Vancouvers, RDC510 with DAB, F & R Parking Sensors, 2Zone Climate, Luxury Pack, Winter Pack.

I'm pleased with it so far apart from a scratched o/s rear lens and few swirl scratches near the o/s rear quarter, that looks like a less than clean polish cloth was used when it was prep'd:( - going back next week to be rectified.

More photos to come but here's one of the first I took.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Hatter48/Gordon/Gordon-GT-TDi.jpg

HHGTTG
09-05-2009, 11:11 PM
:arms:Picked my GT TDi 140 up today....10 weeks and 5 days from order. For those comparing spec with waiting time, here's what I ordered:

Deep Black Pearl, Black Leather, Vancouvers, RDC510 with DAB, F & R Parking Sensors, 2Zone Climate, Luxury Pack, Winter Pack.

I'm pleased with it so far apart from a scratched o/s rear lens and few swirl scratches near the o/s rear quarter, that looks like a less than clean polish cloth was used when it was prep'd:( - going back next week to be rectified.

More photos to come but here's one of the first I took.

When you get a moment and after saying you have the luxury pack, can you tell me whether the control to fold the door mirrors in, is a position on the rotary control that is used to adjust those side door mirrors. I imagine it would be there alongside a position to switch the mirror heater on.
Perhaps L - O - R then heated mirrors then a position to fold?

HHGTTG
09-05-2009, 11:14 PM
When i was a lad.... :biglaugh:
I think that it goes back to the days when I owned four open top sports cars in a row when I used to have the hood down at the slightest provocation, even on a cold sunny winter's day.

djradium
09-05-2009, 11:30 PM
When you get a moment and after saying you have the luxury pack, can you tell me whether the control to fold the door mirrors in, is a position on the rotary control that is used to adjust those side door mirrors. I imagine it would be there alongside a position to switch the mirror heater on.
Perhaps L - O - R then heated mirrors then a position to fold?

10 o'clock = fold in
2 " " = heaters
8 " " = L
6 " " = o
4 " " = R

VictorPapa
09-05-2009, 11:45 PM
10 o'clock = fold in
2 " " = heaters
8 " " = L
6 " " = o
4 " " = R

And to fold the mirrors out again, move the switch to any other position.

WeegieBob
10-05-2009, 07:21 AM
:arms:Picked my GT TDi 140 up today....

And very smart it is too - enjoy!

WeegieBob. ;)

HHGTTG
10-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks for that information. Do the mirrors have a much better angular movement compared with the MK 5's, apparently, which did not fold in very much.
I would hope that those on the MK6 would fold nearly to the side windows.

Do you also know, so early in your ownership, whether they can be manually folded from the outside of the car, or would this damage the motor mechanism - I imagine it would not necessarily be the most sensible thing to do.

Griff449
10-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Very nice mate :) Mine is still sat in the dealership waiting for me to collect on 20th June........ Having a bodykit fitted to it and some other bits including new wheels so between that and moving house its a nail biting wait until I can get the opportunity to collect it!

VictorPapa
10-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks for that information. Do the mirrors have a much better angular movement compared with the MK 5's, apparently, which did not fold in very much.
I would hope that those on the MK6 would fold nearly to the side windows.

Do you also know, so early in your ownership, whether they can be manually folded from the outside of the car, or would this damage the motor mechanism - I imagine it would not necessarily be the most sensible thing to do.

Not sure about manually folding the mirrors but as for how far they go in, see for yourself:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Hatter48/Gordon/OSMirrorFolded2.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Hatter48/Gordon/OSMirrorFolded1.jpg

HHGTTG
11-05-2009, 10:18 AM
I understand that you must have as part of your spec. a mulitifunctional steering wheel and I wonder if you could explain how the right hand controls work with respect to selecting the various functions.
NokiaUk (and no offence intended to him), elsewhere, has explained it already but I'd like another view/take on how things are accessed.
I understand that once in the MFD (mileage, distance, mpg, time mode etc.) trips 1/2 is selected by pressing the OK button and can be zeroed by pressing and holding this button. However do you press the left/right buttons to scroll through the screens to show average/intant mpg, distance, mileage left in tank etc?
Nokiauk, said that in original screen you scroll left/right to go through MFD (distance, mpg etc), then Audio then Phone (if fitted) and settings (if stationary) and in each of these, you press the up button to go into these or down to exit?
Someone else's explanation would be welcome.

Ozram
11-05-2009, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=VictorPapa;356083]:arms:Picked my GT TDi 140 up today....10 weeks and 5 days from order. For those comparing spec with waiting time, here's what I ordered:

Very nice too mate,

I've just got the build week for mine. Week 25, mid June build. Will be mid August when I pick it up and around 15 weeks order time to Oz.

Spec 118TSI, DSG, Deep Black Pearl, Sports pack, Leather, RNS 510, MDI.

JoseSpring
11-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Someone else's explanation would be welcome.
That's pretty much it.
You use the controls on the RHS of the steering wheel to work with the MFD.

LEFT/RIGHT

Chose what section of the MFD you want to look at:-
- Trip Computer - Audio - Sat Nav - Phone - Setup (when stationary) -

UP/DOWN

To scroll through options in that section.

MIDDLE BUTTON

To make selections in the MFD

BACK BUTTON (beneath the others)

Suprise suprise, this button backs you out of any menu that you're in.

BTW, the buttons on the LHS are used to:-

Adjust volume
Make/receive phone calls
Move forward through audio tracks

Pretty simple really.

On occasion my Phone, Sat Nav or Audio menus have been missing.
They always reappear when I switch back on though.
Anyone else had this happen?

nokiauk
11-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Not had menus missing but if I turn my phone off (which I do overnight) the car doesn't recognise my phone the next day and I have to set it up again, will try tonight by not turning the phone off.

HHGTTG
11-05-2009, 07:15 PM
That's pretty much it.
You use the controls on the RHS of the steering wheel to work with the MFD.

LEFT/RIGHT

Chose what section of the MFD you want to look at:-
- Trip Computer - Audio - Sat Nav - Phone - Setup (when stationary) -

UP/DOWN

To scroll through options in that section.

MIDDLE BUTTON

To make selections in the MFD

BACK BUTTON (beneath the others)

Suprise suprise, this button backs you out of any menu that you're in.

BTW, the buttons on the LHS are used to:-

Adjust volume
Make/receive phone calls
Move forward through audio tracks

Pretty simple really.

On occasion my Phone, Sat Nav or Audio menus have been missing.
They always reappear when I switch back on though.
Anyone else had this happen?
Thanks very much indeed.
So if, for example you scroll L/R to the trip computer then scrolling Up/Down there will go thro' average/intant mpg, time of journey, mileage left in tank etc. etc. Then pressing the OK button will select/or zero (if held for a few secs) the trips 1 or 2. And then to get back to the main selection screen, you press the back button (the one beneath).

By the way, I assume that the controls on the LHS also scroll thro' the radio presets if that is what you're listening to?

Asha
12-05-2009, 01:35 AM
Anyone know what the basic waiting time is for a uk order? Ordered a 1.4 TSI with tinted windows as an optional. Really hoping i dont have to wait something like 10 or more weeks!

WeegieBob
12-05-2009, 06:54 AM
On average, reading other posts in this thread, if its a factory built specific order its about twelve weeks.

However, VW appear to building a certain number of Golfs "on spec", meaning no specific customer, just cars to sit on their showroom floors that VW consider will appeal to random customers. So, if there's a Golf somewhere in the UK sitting in a showroom of the build type I've mentioned and it matches your colour, body type, engine and with your tinted option it could be with you in the matter of two or three weeks, depending on the paperwork - maybe even less.

WeegieBob. ;)

paul.mgrath
12-05-2009, 09:33 PM
I ordered mine 19.4.09 was told 7 - 10 days delivery. Got my delivery of build week 23 (1st week of June) + delivery time whatever that may be. When spoke to dealer asking them of delay they told me they hoped that there would have been a similar model in group stock i'm assuming one of the generic builds as mentioned above.

Details of build is 2.0 Gt tdi Deep black pearl, 18" wheels - failrly standard really. Told them if its any later than June i will put up with my mk5 till 1st Sep.

Blackthorn
01-06-2009, 12:52 PM
I had been told build week 22 which would have meant I should be picking it up in the next week or two.
Just spoken to the dealer, and apparently it's now week 33 :(.

This though is a "scheduled" build week, not a "confirmed" one, so he says that he anticipates it changing again and coming forward. I wont hold my breath though, he said that about week 22.

asm51
02-06-2009, 01:49 PM
I've waited 10 weeks now and not heard a thing from the Dealer having originally been told 10-12 weeks before delivery. I'm not keen on waiting another 10 weeks. How does one stand if one cancels the order in regard to the deposit?

Blackthorn
02-06-2009, 02:38 PM
It probably depends on the contract you were given when you ordered. Mine said that I had the right to cancel and get my deposit returned if it was not delivered within one month of the expected delivery date shown on the invoice.

asm51
02-06-2009, 03:02 PM
It probably depends on the contract you were given when you ordered. Mine said that I had the right to cancel and get my deposit returned if it was not delivered within one month of the expected delivery date shown on the invoice.

Had a look at my contract and it is likewise. I want the car but as a matter of principal I may cancel it at 16 weeks and buy something else 'Off the shelf'.

HHGTTG
02-06-2009, 03:12 PM
I've waited 10 weeks now and not heard a thing from the Dealer having originally been told 10-12 weeks before delivery. I'm not keen on waiting another 10 weeks. How does one stand if one cancels the order in regard to the deposit?
Try cancelling and see. You'll probably lose you deposit, that's all!!!!!

HHGTTG
02-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Ah, you see, in my case, they was no delivery date on my invoice. In that respect, they weren't stupid enough to put one.

Honeychild
02-06-2009, 06:05 PM
My first VW Golf (previously a 1973 Beetle and Mini Cooper driver) arrives this Thursday.....except I'm going to be away for 2 weeks.

It has been pretty much 10 weeks since I ordered it (SE TSi 1.4 manual) with bits and pieces added to it after I had put the initial order in.

The dealer has kept me up to date pretty much on a fortnightlybasis, and I have nothing but praise for them unlike the hassles that I've had with previous dealers.

Pick it up on 22nd June......can't wait!!!! :D

Griff449
02-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Try cancelling and see. You'll probably lose you deposit, that's all!!!!!

Well if you want one now then I have one for you :) Save a few quid on the price as well.......................

HHGTTG
02-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Well if you want one now then I have one for you :) Save a few quid on the price as well.......................
Does it have a sunroof? Bet it doesn't.

Griff449
02-06-2009, 07:34 PM
No need for a sunroof with aircon :)

netherfield
02-06-2009, 07:48 PM
If they quoted x weeks and can't deliver you should have no problem getting it back,but the simplest thing is don't give a deposit in the first place,I've always been asked and always refused.

Some time back we ordered a Polo for my daughter,along the way somebody ordered the wrong car,both engine and colour,then they went on strike in spain,dealer didn't keep in touch so we went elsewere,12 weeks after the due date the salesman rang to say the car had now arrived and seemed very shocked when I said we didn't want it now.

HHGTTG
02-06-2009, 10:48 PM
No need for a sunroof with aircon :)
Oh dear, how many times have I heard that hoary old chestnut. The two aren't mutally exclusive as there are opportunities for availing oneself of both and enjoying the facilities they provide.

Griff449
02-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Yawn...................... You did ask the question and you got an answer :)

HHGTTG
02-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Yawn...................... You did ask the question and you got an answer :)
Yes but aircon and sunroof can exist in the same car and be very useful but I can't be bothered to try and explain why.
Most people seem to want to specify their new cars with lots of 'toy's rather than something useful and which makes the car a nicer place to be in - airier, lighter etc.

Oh,dear. There I go again trying to explain its advantages!

elidag
03-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Yes but aircon and sunroof can exist in the same car and be very useful but I can't be bothered to try and explain why.
Most people seem to want to specify their new cars with lots of 'toy's rather than something useful and which makes the car a nicer place to be in - airier, lighter etc.

Oh,dear. There I go again trying to explain its advantages!

you pays your money and make you choice but personally I find that a sunroof turns a car into a greenhouse in the summer, is useless in the winter because it is dark and ups the noise level all the time. Many of the extras that you describe as "toys" maybe if you only spend a short amount of time in the car but if like me you spend more time in your car than sat at home they become essential.

HHGTTG
03-06-2009, 08:43 AM
you pays your money and make you choice but personally I find that a sunroof turns a car into a greenhouse in the summer, is useless in the winter because it is dark and ups the noise level all the time. Many of the extras that you describe as "toys" maybe if you only spend a short amount of time in the car but if like me you spend more time in your car than sat at home they become essential.
I'm sorry but neither of your statements is correct IMHO. The sunroof has an internal padded slider screen which matches the roof material and the glass panel has built in heat mesh to absorb much of the sun's rays.
In the winter there's no difference as far as I'm concerned. Yes, when the roof is tilted there is an increased element of noise and when open and in the optimum position there is only mild buffeting but it wouldn't be open when travelling fast.

Griff449
03-06-2009, 12:55 PM
At the end of the day its about personal preference and no amount of "IMHO" will make a blind bit of difference to what people prefer and what they percieve as essential 'to the perfect drive'

The main thing is that we all enjoy our VW's for what they are and the spec that we prefer :) Lets be honest, were on here to help each other and to give ideas and thoughts on improving our lives behind the wheel :)

Peace to all

Griff :)

kodkod.84
03-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Don't know about the Golf but on some of the Audi's you can spec a solar sunroof which powers the ventilation whilst the car is parked up, so very hot day and you come back to a nice cool car. Superb :)

Griff449
03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Now that is a piece of technology .................... :) Expensive extra?

HHGTTG
03-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Don't know about the Golf but on some of the Audi's you can spec a solar sunroof which powers the ventilation whilst the car is parked up, so very hot day and you come back to a nice cool car. Superb :)
That's why I steered clear of the Audi A3 as you can only specify a very expensive panoramic solar sunroof which again, IMHO, is a bit OTT.

It's strange, I was configuring, in earlier days, an A3 and thought how expensive it was. However since speccing mine this year it did not come out far short of it - so much for a cheaper Golf which is now rather too expensive but does come with some toys included but not the really useful ones like the MFSW which you have to pay an extra £400 or thereabouts.

paul.mgrath
04-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Just bin advised mine is in stage 1 of build (paint) so should be here in 2 weeks yippee!!

Talking of extras i asked to change the wheels and was told sorry the car is being built now??

When i suggested (naively) that maybe the wheels would be the last thing to be fitted and maybe as this was a probably a few days away why not put the wheel on i want to change to?I was told this is not possible?:confused:

If i want the 18'2 i gotta pay considerably more than 350 quid!!!

They are seein if they are gettin any demos in with the 18's on and can maybe swap at pdi. Gonna try and see if they have any more on order same spec as mine not built yet and see if anyone fancys jumpin the queue and change their order!!

ralferoo
04-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Talking of extras i asked to change the wheels and was told sorry the car is being built now??
Doesn't suprise me. I asked to change the colour 2 weeks after I first ordered and was told that'd be fine as it hadn't got allocated a date yet (hahahaha, no change another 6 weeks later) but that they'd have to cancel the original order and put it through again. Even though the screen he checked the order on clearly said "Vehicle enquiry / amendment".

zoom
04-06-2009, 11:25 PM
I owned a Vauxhall Astra years ago which was only about 3 years old at the time. After a night of monsoon rain, I came out in the morning to set off to work...only to find six inches (literally) of rain water swishing about in the rear footwells! Turns out the seal around the sunroof had 'gone' and turned my car into a mobile aquarium during the night. The only thing missing were sharks & a green turtle...

And the moral of the story? Two-fold really; never buy a car with a sunroof - and (mental note to self) - next time buy a house with a garage! ;)

HHGTTG
05-06-2009, 10:08 AM
I owned a Vauxhall Astra years ago which was only about 3 years old at the time. After a night of monsoon rain, I came out in the morning to set off to work...only to find six inches (literally) of rain water swishing about in the rear footwells! Turns out the seal around the sunroof had 'gone' and turned my car into a mobile aquarium during the night. The only thing missing were sharks & a green turtle...

And the moral of the story? Two-fold really; never buy a car with a sunroof - and (mental note to self) - next time buy a house with a garage! ;)
There are sunroofs and there are sunroofs. You can't generalise like that. I have had four cars with proper factory fitted sunroofs which tilt or slide and they've been beyond reproach in their performance.

HHGTTG
05-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Good news at last! I had an early morning phone call from Milton Keynes confirming that the build date/week for my car has been brought forward to week 27, which is the end of this month.

The lady, giving me this info. said that my dealer should be forwarding this information to me (some hopes!). In fairness, I did phone my dealer but realised that Friday is my contact's day off. However I'll leave it till next week and see whether they can be bothered to give me the good news - I wonder?

Robbie G
05-06-2009, 10:56 AM

And the moral of the story? Two-fold really; never buy a car with a sunroof - and (mental note to self) - next time buy a house with a garage!

I think the more pertinent lesson here is not to buy a Vauxhall Astra!

zoom
05-06-2009, 11:17 AM
I think the more pertinent lesson here is not to buy a Vauxhall Astra!

lol. In my defence; it was several years ago - at a time when my finances weren't (perhaps) what they are today.

Speaking of the Vauxhall Astra - I saw the new upcoming 2010 model the other day on a couple of websites and - I have to say - it looks very nice indeed! Shame on me...:1zhelp: