PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Buying a new car....advice needed please

corrado
25-03-2009, 01:54 AM
corrado driver, looking at 2000-2002 1.8t in audi, vw and seat. Drove a cupra last night.....wow.

However, my preference is with the audi a3 (cant quite spare the cash for an s3....at this moment, although i will get one).

Budget around £3500

i am unfamiliar with audi, what do i need to look out for? what are the common problems with these cars? which year did the facelift come, and what did that entail?

etc

sorry if this has been covered time and time again, but any advice even if pointing out a relevant thread on here would be appreciated.

cheers

GeorgeBoy
25-03-2009, 11:05 AM
I bought mine without knowing too much, mines is a 2000 a3 1.8t once i bought it (from one lady owner thinking all would be rosey) i had it serviced and they found that real axel bushes, brakes all round and timing belt would need done.RAGIN!!

This could be a few things to look at and i would recommend getting one as know im over all the extra expense i love drving it!!

corrado
25-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Dont suppose you could advise "where" to look for em?

Im seeing an s3 tomorrow. :notworthy

GeorgeBoy
29-03-2009, 09:04 PM
U got anythin yet mate? Just have a scan around ebay for the best deal i was fortuate to get mine local but ebay is your best bet....

mikey87
30-03-2009, 11:06 PM
what ever car u get, make sure its had regular oil changes. oil should have been changed roughtly every 8k-10k miles. i have herd that the 1.8t engine can suffer from oil problems if they aint regularly changed. cam belt should b changed around 70k. people do advise 2 have the water pump changed with the cambelt too. i have a 2001 a3 1.8t with an AUM engine (150bhp 2wd), had it for a year now and i love it to bits. when you have a look and drive in that s3, you'll love it. im that confident you would, i'll even bet on it.