PDA

View Full Version : Glovebox Area Rattle

patomlin76
24-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Hello

I have, in most cases, a solidly built, quiet Passat B6. The only rattle that grates on me when driving comes from around the glove box. It's not a loud, positively plastic rattle. It's more a quiet 'noise of movement' that isn't dependent on the surface the car is driven on (ie it doesn't get louder on rougher roads).

Now I've looked at other threads with this issue and have lubricated here, there and everywhere. However I haven't completely removed the glovebox yet, and I can feel a loose fabric material underneath the 'box, but I'm not sure what it is for.

Has anyone got any other suggestions to solve the rattle? Is there anything to look out for or fix if I can completely remove the glovebox?

thanks all!

easytiger888
25-03-2009, 12:00 AM
I had same rattle on my passat 2007 , i took it to vw dealer under warranty , ended it was a clutch cable clip rattlin against the inside of the wing . Worth checkin into , save u takin out glove box , 5 mins it was done .good luck

reddb990
25-03-2009, 01:48 PM
I cured my glovebox rattle by tightening the screws found at top of glovebox opening. If memory correct they were torx type screws.

patomlin76
25-03-2009, 02:16 PM
I'll try and look at the screws this weekend. To be honest, once I've done my best to sort this out, I'm leaving all the other little rattles/foibles. Once you start listening out for them, they're everywhere.

And it's not just the Passat. I've been in BM's, Audi's, you name it.... if you want to find a rattle or buzz or creak, you'll find it sooner or later. My previous car, a Mazda 6, I had a load there due to the poor quality plastics used, however after forcing myself to live with the rattles, I forgot about hearing them and enjoyed the car more as a result!

podwin
25-03-2009, 05:33 PM
My glovebox rattles, it's definitely the glovebox because it doesn't do it when it's open.

I thought I cured it with rubber strips, I'll look for some screws!

Quatrelle
25-03-2009, 08:09 PM
I'll try and look at the screws this weekend. To be honest, once I've done my best to sort this out, I'm leaving all the other little rattles/foibles. Once you start listening out for them, they're everywhere.

I just know I'm going to regret saying this, but nothing rattles in my Passat. :o

danski
26-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I just know I'm going to regret saying this, but nothing rattles in my Passat. :o

GIT !!:mad:

Only kidding, lucky so and so.

johnloaderuk
26-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Luckily I've never had anything rattle in mine either, until lately. Took me two weeks to find the wife had left a hairbrush in the passenger door bin which was the sole cause of my annoyance!. I got to the stage of looking under the car and everywhere before I found it.

Apart from that, I even turned the radio off to listen, and it's really quiet - no squeaks, rattles or anything.

Quatrelle
26-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Apart from that, I even turned the radio off to listen, and it's really quiet - no squeaks, rattles or anything.
Seldom have the radio on in mine, or use the cd player - I just like gliding along in silence - which was one of the reasons why I bought it in the first place!

johnloaderuk
26-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Seldom have the radio on in mine, or use the cd player - I just like gliding along in silence - which was one of the reasons why I bought it in the first place!

I think it also helps that the roads generally seem far smoother and better maintained in France (correct me if I'm wrong), but maybe the poor state of the UK roads constantly exaggerates any squeaks and rattles, and also help to loosen anything that's not done up tight enough.

Quatrelle
26-03-2009, 10:46 PM
I think it also helps that the roads generally seem far smoother and better maintained in France (correct me if I'm wrong), but maybe the poor state of the UK roads constantly exaggerates any squeaks and rattles, and also help to loosen anything that's not done up tight enough.
Yes, a lot of the main French roads seem to have a quieter top surface, the rural roads not so smooth or quiet (in southern Tarn anyway). This is from memory - but I'll be able to compare for myself, I'll be in the UK for a week in late May. It's the first time I've been back for about five years, so obviously the first time in the Passat.

So if you see a French-plated, dark-brown, chrome-grilled, debadged Passat, give us a wave :nana:

not quite like that...

jonsey24
26-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Can i wave at you with 2 fingers? especially for having a squeak and rattle free Passat LOL

patomlin76
27-03-2009, 10:05 AM
well that is a definite cause, and one that means us in the UK rarely drive rattle/noise free cars, especially on poorly maintained A roads with massive potholes and tarmac coming off the surface! I'm holidaying in France this year (ferrying over) and will enjoy my Passat on European roads!

Got to say on a smooth or decent road my passat is extremely quiet and if every road were like that I wouldn't be posting here...

After doing a bit more research I am buying some PTFE spray - wet and dry - and am just going to blast the hinge areas and anywhere else that tends to creak around the glovebox.

luckda
27-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Mine had developed a squeak rather than a rattle. The garage has replaced the govebox door. Will monitor over the next few days to see if this solved the problem

Quatrelle
27-03-2009, 08:38 PM
I've just driven down the 150 metres of rough, unsurfaced lane that leads to our house, at approximately 40km/h. Apart from the bump-thump of the tyres there are no rattles, just clouds of dust behind.

It'll be interesting to see how things are in the UK.

Spudrig
28-03-2009, 10:00 AM
I've just driven down the 150 metres of rough, unsurfaced lane that leads to our house, at approximately 40km/h. Apart from the bump-thump of the tyres there are no rattles, just clouds of dust behind.

It'll be interesting to see how things are in the UK.

Be prepared Quatrelle, the roads are dismal! Everywhere I look in my area, there are diggers digging up the roads (for what purpose I don't know :p) and the resurfacing job is a shambles :(

patomlin76
28-03-2009, 10:04 AM
i was driving home last night and for some reason the rattle was more prevalent than normal, so as it was a quiet straight road, I was able to fiddle around pressing bits and pieces.

the rattle stops by wedging something (my finger!) inbetween the centre dash console side panel against the glovebox area panel. I thought they were one piece so never thought of this, but when I apply pressure between the two panels, the rattling stops.

so it doesn't look like any sort of lubrication around the glovebox area would have helped - i now just need to find a professional/unnoticeable way of wedging something inbetween the two panels.

anyone else had this fix? i'm extremely pleased i know the source of the rattle now!

paul :D:D:D

Quatrelle
28-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Btw, I wasn't trying to be clever here, just pointing out that they can be made to be quiet.

lhd might mean there are fewer places where they can rattle.

mikecb1
28-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Pantomlin76

Yes, I had a noise from there as well when i first got the car. In my case it was more of a creak than a rattle. I cut some small 1 cm squares of black felt, stuck double sided tape on the back, and fiddled them in between the edges of the panels under the dash . I also rubbed a little Vaseline into the join further along. Result has been silence from this area ever since.

Mike

patomlin76
28-03-2009, 06:42 PM
mike

seems like we shared the same creak - and yes i would desscribe it more as a creak than rattle as well. thanks for the info on how you solved it. next time i get a chance (probably next week) I'll do the same thing. I have some grease that i'll use instead of the vaseline.....

funny how these noises find their way around the car - i was sure this was coming from under the glovebox, nearer the door, when in fact it was nowhere near it!

Quatrelle
28-03-2009, 07:39 PM
the rattle stops by wedging something (my finger!) inbetween the centre dash console side panel against the glovebox area panel. I thought they were one piece so never thought of this, but when I apply pressure between the two panels, the rattling stops.

so it doesn't look like any sort of lubrication around the glovebox area would have helped - i now just need to find a professional/unnoticeable way of wedging something inbetween the two panels.paul :D:D:D
Can you press a length of black cord of the appropriate thickness down into the gap?

dmhelsby
30-03-2009, 04:16 PM
See my new thread above: glovebox/dashboard rattle
Hope it helps