PDA

View Full Version : Passat B6 12s Electrics

haza406
24-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Hi I'm after a bit of help if poss fitting a 12s socket to my passat. I've got a fairly good knowledge of auto electrics as it's what I do for a living although at only 22yrs old my experience with towbars is limited. I'm fitting one to my B6 Estate at the weekend and I'm fitting a 12s socket with it, are there any perm feeds in the boot area etc etc specifically for this, or am I going to have to go direct to the battery? Any advice or how-to's would be great.

Sorry if I'm repeating a thread thats already out there I did do a search for this but couldn't find anything.

Many thanks,

Harry

Ben
24-03-2009, 08:15 PM
hi, if you have a 12v cigarette type power socket you can tap in to that supply.

I wrote a guide for a mk5 golf towbar. See the research thread that is stickied at the top of the towbar section. in there is a link to the how to.

Although its a different car, the principles are the same.

Happy reading

Motorway
27-03-2009, 10:49 PM
On my B6 estate i found the socket in the boot to be ignition controlled. if taped into this you will not have a perm live for the caravan electrics when the engine is switched off. when i did mine last year i ran a 30A stranded cable from the battery with a 30A fuse in the engine bay then in the boot behind the right hand pannel, 2 x 30 A relays 1 for fridge and the other for battery charging each having a 15A fuse on the supply to the sockets. a seven way bypass relay was also fitted in the same compartment fed from the live from the battery. fitted this way when the engine is switched off the caravan lights still work,. hope this helps