PDA

View Full Version : Pulling trailer with Jetta

Snowdance38
19-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Our weather warmed for a few days so my wife and I got away to the Oregon coast for 3 days.. Pulled our Folding Trailer over and stayed at a state park right on the beach.. We pulled it for the first time with our 2.5 Jetta.. It did far better than we thought.. But we will pull most of the time with our 2.0 Jetta wagon..

Ate some fish and chips at an old place on the docks we like to go to. Had a couple long hikes on the beach and found a few things to haul home..

We always stop by the food market and find the things we want to grill for dinner and make a great meal.. and drink a glass or two of local wine..

Time to put the camper back up for a while.. They are talking snow tomorrow afternoon.. Winter is back.. But we did enjoy the short spell of warm weather..

bora(ing) nick
19-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Sounds good.......

I could do with a bit of a short break myself, but it was snowing in Manchester, England yesterday...

I regulary tow a medium sized camping trailer, or if my dad lets me borrow his touring caravan, i tow that...

It's a 20ft monster and my 1.9tdi Bora copes more than happily with it.

Eshrules
19-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Sounds good.......

I could do with a bit of a short break myself, but it was snowing in Manchester, England yesterday...

I regulary tow a medium sized camping trailer, or if my dad lets me borrow his touring caravan, i tow that...

It's a 20ft monster and my 1.9tdi Bora copes more than happily with it.

aside from the fact that this shows just how strong these engines are, are you sure you're legal in pulling a 20 ft tourer? i thought the car had to be at least 2/3 of the caravans length? theres also a limit to the weight you can pull isnt there?

bora(ing) nick
19-03-2007, 02:09 PM
I can tow a combined weight (car and trailer) of 3.5 tonne.

The car weighs 1.8 tonnes

I can tow an unbraked trailer up to 500kgs or a braked trailer (ie the caravan) up to 1.7 tonnes.

So yes i'm legal....

Thanks for your concern though....

Nick

Eshrules
19-03-2007, 02:18 PM
I can tow a combined weight (car and trailer) of 3.5 tonne.

The car weighs 1.8 tonnes

I can tow an unbraked trailer up to 500kgs or a braked trailer (ie the caravan) up to 1.7 tonnes.

So yes i'm legal....

Thanks for your concern though....

Nick

it wasnt intended as a dig... apoligies if it seemed like that, i was only asking as i know there is a length issue as well, i am aware that you cant, for instance, pull a 30ft tourer (regardless of weight) with a ford fiesta van 1.7d. i was under the impression that the combined weights were not the only issue to consider when towing... hence my question.

:Blush:

bora(ing) nick
19-03-2007, 02:25 PM
it wasnt intended as a dig... apoligies if it seemed like that, i was only asking as i know there is a length issue as well, i am aware that you cant, for instance, pull a 30ft tourer (regardless of weight) with a ford fiesta van 1.7d. i was under the impression that the combined weights were not the only issue to consider when towing... hence my question.

:Blush:

No offence taken my freind....lol

I wasn't aware of any length issues "ah-hem", just had a quick look on DVLA website : http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_10013073

i think it's just common sence really.... thing is, common sense, aint that common....

Nick

Snowdance38
19-03-2007, 02:27 PM
What is a Camping trailer?? A touring caravan I will guess would be what we call a travel trailer.. But not sure what a camping trailer is.. Is it like my Folding trailer ??

There are no laws here as far as pulling.. But I am one of the few that pull with a car or station wagon.. Most here pull with pickup's or SUV's.. I just hate to own one of them and drive it most of the time at low fuel mileage and with a rough ride so I can pull a trailer once in a while..

In Oregon the state leaves the truck weight scales on when they leave so we were able to stop by one and get a weight on our 06 Jetta 2.5 and trailer.. Jetta came in loaded and with us at 4250 lbs and trailer at 1500 lbs so not really much weight...

We pull it at about 70 mph on the highway most of the time.. Our folding trailer has only 10 inch wheels so I dont like to tow at faster speeds as they are going around fast enough at that speed.. We can see over the trailer so we can use the inside mirror and the side ones too so can see well.. Also the trailer being so low does not cause much drag.. We seldom notice it there..

Snowdance38
19-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Most of the States have a 65 foot law for trailer and pulling vehicle.. But Trucks can pull up to 110 foot on the freeways.. So you will see a big diesel pulling 3 trailers.. Long things and always worrysome to pass them watching them snake down the road..

bora(ing) nick
19-03-2007, 02:33 PM
My camping trailer is just like a Box trailer... but i keep all the camping gear in there, hence camping trailer...

The trailer is as high as the car though so i cant see through the rear view mirror, or rather i couldnt...

I've installed a reversing camera in to the back of the trailer and hooked it up to my in car DVD player.

Works well, and its good for motorway driving, changing lanes etc

Nick

Snowdance38
19-03-2007, 02:38 PM
My camping trailer is just like a Box trailer... but i keep all the camping gear in there, hence camping trailer...

The trailer is as high as the car though so i cant see through the rear view mirror, or rather i couldnt...

I've installed a reversing camera in to the back of the trailer and hooked it up to my in car DVD player.

Works well, and its good for motorway driving, changing lanes etc

Nick

Now that sounds like a great idea.. I see those cameras on many big buses and trailers..

I also have a trailer that I haul stuff and our motorcycle with from time to time.. But I can also see over it.. I had what you call a camping trailer for some years..

I also have a covered trailer that I pull behind our motorcycle with all our camping gear so guess it is a camping trailer but then I also haul other stuff in it..