PDA

View Full Version : Leasing companies and new tyres

RichardCranium
24-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Having a right job getting some new tyres for the front.

They are not quite on the wear band, but do look very worn in places, particularly on the outside.

Took it to ATS on more than one occasion and they are sh!t scared of changing them in case they get inspected.

My argument was that if i got pulled by the law, then they would look twice at the tyres. What am I supposed to do? Run them down to the canvas before they can justify the change!!

Col
24-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Wheelspin wheelspin wheelspin.

Thats what you need to do.

STEWY L
24-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Having a right job getting some new tyres for the front.

They are not quite on the wear band, but do look very worn in places, particularly on the outside.

Took it to ATS on more than one occasion and they are sh!t scared of changing them in case they get inspected.

My argument was that if i got pulled by the law, then they would look twice at the tyres. What am I supposed to do? Run them down to the canvas before they can justify the change!!
if ATS can't tell you if they need replacing how are they in business???
and who keeps them in business???
how about taking it to an mot centre for a pre-test? probably never
need an mot while you have it,but should prove something to somebody perhaps.
tricky really
,it's your fault if they are worn,
and them that pay won't change them until they are told they are worn,
but those that should know when they are worn,- don't know if they are worn or not:confused:
bring back maggie---she would sort it,this lot won't.
regards,
stewy.

rd1
24-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Richard,
what a ridiculous situation, one assumes then that you have to wait until they are just on the cusp of legal/illegal to get them changed.
Thats just not right, does your fleet manager not insist on a safety margin above the legal limit? Large fleet user that I last worked for had it written into the tender docs so there was never a problem, once they got to that level they were changed.Assume there was a cost but at least you did not risk being right on the limit particularly if involved in an accident.

I guess this will only get worse as the economy tightens! :mad::mad:
Roger.

STEWY L
24-03-2009, 07:51 PM
there's a point Roger.
our company insurance insisted on changing at 2mm instead of the legal 1mm(something like that).
why not the leasing company?
stewy.

RichardCranium
24-03-2009, 11:34 PM
we've used the same leasing company for almost 8 years and its never been a problem before. Changed on 2mm ish without an issue. I reckon they've just got tight on spending in the current financial climate.

If I remember I'll take some pics tomorrow

onemanparty
25-03-2009, 09:23 AM
we've used the same leasing company for almost 8 years and its never been a problem before. Changed on 2mm ish without an issue. I reckon they've just got tight on spending in the current financial climate.

If I remember I'll take some pics tomorrow

You have to remember it is up to your company and not the leasing company on all SMR issue. Leasing company will only charge your company at the end of the day. What is in your company car hand book reference tyres?

RichardCranium
25-03-2009, 07:05 PM
SMR ?
Dont have a company car handbook

pauldoherty
26-03-2009, 01:24 PM
I had some wear issues with my tryes - all four needed changed after 14700 miles, and it's not a quattro! The wear was really uneven avross all tyres and the leasing company agreed to change the four. ATS reckoned that there was a tracking or suspension issue, but when it was in for it's 20k service AUDI inspected it and said that ATS had the trye pressures at nearly 40 instead of the recommended 29psi - so what the hell do they know?! I have had a clunking noise through the steering since around 4000 miles, and Audi have pinpointed it to a faulty knuckle joint in the steering column but they say this won't affect the tyre wear - but then they would say that. Something definitely isn't right with the tyre wear pattern. And regarding the knuckle joint, they say this is a fault and the parts are now on back order with the factory so watch out for the clunking sound thats really noticable when you are doing the likes of a 3 point turn or parking.

RichardCranium
26-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Wear is definitely uneven across the tyre on mine... ans the saga continues

Took it back to ATS in Huddersfield this morning to have the tyres fitted. Bloke looked at my tyres and told me he couldnt change them:zx11:. I'm afraid to say I lost it! Had a right old go at them!
I then phoned Arval and asked them for their opinion and they said their stance has never changed: 2mm or below and change them, easy as that. beacuse the thread depth is varying and on the inner most wear band they are probably at 3mm, but on the outside, they're knackered. Arval said try another ATS!

So..... then i called in at my local tyre dealer down the road from where I live to ask their opinion. Straight away he said 'on a car of this type, a big car etc, they need to be changed. Not illegal, but get them changed pretty soon, especialy if you are doing any long journeys'.

Next... went to ATS in Barnsley. Didint mention anything to them about my saga with Huddersfield until after the guy had looked at them. Without any hesitation.... 'You need two on the front sir, I'll have them here tomorrow for you'!!

All's well that end well etc etc, but bloody hell, what a carry on.

i took some pics on my phone this morning, and i'll post them on here when i find the USB cable!

onemanparty
26-03-2009, 05:50 PM
SMR ?
Dont have a company car handbook

SMR is Service, Maintenance & Repair

Jop
26-03-2009, 06:34 PM
@ RichardCranium
Out of interest, how many miles have you done on these tyres?

Thanks

RichardCranium
26-03-2009, 06:44 PM
@ RichardCranium
Out of interest, how many miles have you done on these tyres?

Thanks

23k in total only last 6k or so on the front, as ATS in their infinate wisdom swapped them to the front when the original fronts needed changing after 15k