PDA

View Full Version : Damsel in distress

MarieTh
19-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi, ok... I just found this forum and know a big fat zero about cars so I'm probably not going to be popular!!!! (I am happy to do a course if someone can point me to a good one in London though!!!)

My own Golf (1.6 SE called Gordon) has suddenly flashed up a fault 13. on the speedometre which is Petrol Engine Management. Is this serious? I have booked it in for a check up tomorrow (with local dealer) but am really anxious that (given my lack of knowledge and technical dimwit disposition) I will end up with a £huge bill. Can anyone give me some guidance so I can at least have a half intelligent conversation? I called Volkswagen but they weren't very helpful... of course I don't have a warranty it's 6 years old.

Muchas gracias amigos, Marie

MalcQV
19-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Welcome, as for your error 13, no idea hopefully someone else will :beerchug:

RickT
19-03-2007, 05:10 PM
I have found this code relating to the VW Golf Fault 13.... however i have no idea what this means!!
13 actual digital value answering potentiometer Fuss/Def. Flap

I have just seached the Golf workshop manual and unable unable to locate fault 13 -

Does this error stay on??

Where is the error displayed??

Do you have a orange engine light on?

Is it a 2001 model?

Cheers

MarieTh
19-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks so much chaps. There is a yellow/orange design (looks like an elaborate tap but could be an engine i suppose) at about 7pm on the dial. It does stay on and I haven't noted any change whatsoever in performance. I asked a colleague and he reckoned it was serious...

The manual said it was an Petrol Engine Management error and I should take it to a dealer as soon as possible :-( It is X reg so I guess that makes it 2000 or 2001.

Does that enlighten the situation any further (feel my highlights are getting blonder by the second.....) - M:Blush2:

RickT
19-03-2007, 05:43 PM
the engine managment light has found a fault... this can be from a sensor to anything... without getting it on VAG-COM theres not much i can suggest as it could be anything,

If its running fine it will be a sensor of some sort..

When they tell you want is wrong, question is and etc..

And let us know

Cheers

RicKT

MarieTh
19-03-2007, 05:49 PM
RickT - is VAG.com that sensor device thingy they hook up to a laptop to understand the engine computer faults?

How much should a garage charge to do that? - M

bora(ing) nick
19-03-2007, 05:51 PM
RickT - is VAG.com that sensor device thingy they hook up to a laptop to understand the engine computer faults?

How much should a garage charge to do that? - M

Dealers charge around £40...but other places do it cheaper

Nick

RickT
19-03-2007, 08:45 PM
yeah... or download the Vag-com app from ross tech, shareware and buy a lead from ebay for about £20...

Let us know how you get on.

RickT