PDA

View Full Version : Golf Fuel Probs/Stalling

my1stGTi
18-03-2007, 11:10 PM
I own a Mk3 Golf GTi 2.0 8v 95' N-plate and until today was running fine.

On thurs i filled car up and the fuel gauge was showing a full tank, but less than a mile down the road and the gauge is decreasing rapidly, so naturally i pull over and check for any leaks of which there are none.

Later in the day i go out in the car again and the fuel gauge starts to slowly rise to 3/4 tank which is about right for the amonut of miles travelled.

Today after a short drive the car loses all power and stalls. The gauge is just under the 3/4 mark. I top the tank up with petrol the gauge returns to just under full tank and the car starts so i continue home and get less than a mile up the road and the same thing happens, this time i get a tow home.

As soon as i've stopped i try the key in the ignition again and it starts fine.

Has anybody else had this problem or know what the possible cause might be???

I thought maybe the fuel filter or an injector might be blocked. The car had been sitting idle on the drive with just above 1/4 tank of fuel while i was on holiday for a week could've this contributed to the problem?

Sorry for the essay!!!

my1stGTi
22-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Since my last post i'm now thinking the problem lies elsewhere maybe in the ignition system or a faulty ground. The fuel gauge has been fine.

But now what i'm finding is that when the car has been running for a good 20mins. I switch it off leave it standing idle for several minutes then try to start it again and nothing happens i can hear the fuel pump going.

I've tested the battery using a voltmeter in situ and out of the car it reads 12.5 volts and when the cars running its in the region of 14.6v.

Somebody i know suggested Fuse 15 is it live when the ignition is on but fails to start or is there volts getting to the coil/amplifier. Can anybody out there give me some sound advice.

Thanks

My1stGTi

Niall76
22-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Battery is fine. 12.5 or so is normal for standing and 14.6 is ideal when running (it's higher because it's charging).

I'd have a look at the HT leads. I had mk2 Golf which had similar problems - turned out the HT leads were shot to bits. Good news was it was a cheap fix. I changed the rotor arm and cap at the same time as they're peanuts.

Worth a look