PDA

View Full Version : number plate badges

christhezulu
22-03-2009, 09:17 PM
would number plates like this be illegal?
i used a website online to 'build it' but have read online that the only badges you can have are your country ones.

i have seen people with other badges on tehre car...Playboy ones are popular and also football logo's.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv16/christhezulu/plate.jpg

Thanks

stuart
22-03-2009, 09:22 PM
In a nutshell "YES!"

The Company I work for makes number plates, we have just had instructions that any form of logo, other than Euro style plates, with the GB or EU logo are now illegal...

This rule also applies to logo's that garages that put next to there names...

The basics are thatnumber plates must be of the legal font and spacing, have the BS mark, and the only additional text must be the suppliers name and post code... nothing else..

Stuart

christhezulu
22-03-2009, 09:29 PM
so i wouldnt get away with them then :(

what about all these cars with similar ones? do people get fined? or cautioned and told to take them off?

stuart
22-03-2009, 09:41 PM
I would say you would be taking a risk... depends on how they enforce it...

Same for existing plates, in theory I suppose they could make you remove them, fixed fine etc, but I am not sure if the new rules apply to plates made before a certain date..

paul b
22-03-2009, 09:52 PM
The Skoda has numberplates with the Skoda logo to the far left hand side of the plate, in place of where the GB logo would be.

They were sold as legal at the time, however with what Stuart has just said... :(

hongkongstuey
23-03-2009, 09:40 AM
bloke called nigel at work has N16E XU and the spacing is massive between the e and the x, has had coppers behind him a few times but never been pulled over. have read there cant be any spacing of any of the letters or numbers of the particular groups. you could probably get away with so much but its not worth taking the risk, saw an a4 yesterday with a MASSIVE font, letters were twice as thick as normal and they were pushed up pretty close, M4OMO it was but just looked stupid with the letters so big, could see it twice as far away as normal.

thinking about getting a plate, would want last letter spaced a little from the second from last but not sure now, still gonna get the plate though, not gonna say till i get it cos its a good un :biglaugh:

NickPicks
23-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Technically, all the england flags, playboy logos etc are illegal. The only places that will make them usually have a small print "for show use only" disclaimer.

You might fail an MOT on them, so I expect people swap them over just for the test.

If the police started pulling people over for number plates, then they'd have to start doing people for using fog lights when it's not foggy, having blue led washer jets etc.

paul b
23-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Technically, all the england flags, playboy logos etc are illegal. The only places that will make them usually have a small print "for show use only" disclaimer.

You might fail an MOT on them, so I expect people swap them over just for the test.

If the police started pulling people over for number plates, then they'd have to start doing people for using fog lights when it's not foggy, having blue led washer jets etc.
My Skoda will be going for the MOT with the number plate badges in place. I guess we'll find out if they're legal or not. :D

Below is a picture of the back of the car with plate. What do we think?

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll47/chrisinho_92/newrearforum.jpg

mr scoops
23-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Surely a copper would have to be having a pretty bad day to do you for that badge??

K1kid
23-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Not sure about badges but the spacing will get you into serious trouble nowadays. With so many ANPR cameras about you will be very lucky not to get stopped, as the dodgy spacing doesn,t allow the camera to read your reg therefore setting off an alarm. I believe if you get stopped 3 times you will have you reg deleted by dvla.

RickT
23-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Yes it illegal, however the badges are not a massive concern to the police... its the spacing and font..

They only insist on the font and spacing so all SPEED cameras / congestion zone cameras etc.. can read them perfect..

Rick

paul b
24-03-2009, 03:15 PM
On the Skoda (although you can't see it) the spacing is totally original and legal. I guess we'll just wait and see, if myself or my son (once he's qualified) get pulled in it I'll post here. ;)

Hex69
24-03-2009, 03:19 PM
[quote=RickT;333460They only insist on the font and spacing so all SPEED cameras / congestion zone cameras etc.. can read them perfect..[/quote]

And that you can be fined/taxed as appropriate until the pips squeak....