PDA

View Full Version : 1.8T in to MK2 Golf?

burk
18-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Just wondering if anyone on here's done this conversion?

I'm thinking about saving up for a trackday car and quite fancy dropping this lump in to a MKII 16v shell. I've just been flicking through one of my old PPC mags and read about the conversion, seems like a good one to do.

I've tried to calculate a rough idea of costs and I think it could be done for around £5000-£6000 which IMO would make a pretty decent track car.

I've worked out the following, would like peoples opinions on this and wether I've missed anything out that others can think of:-

Second hand MK2 16v - £700-900

1.8T engine and ancilarries - about a grand

Gearbox from a VR6 or MK4 Golf - £250

Bigger brakes - £350

Labour costs around £2000 or less.

The only other thing I can think of is the suspension. Possible future mod being the larger IHI turbo from Jabba Sport.

Huweth
18-03-2007, 07:59 PM
I don't know if it's still about, but there used to be a conversion kit for the MK2 16v. You can mount a turbo onto the point where the Aircon goes. It would probably be a lot cheaper than £5000 with a similar result. The older engine is probably lighter too, and you'd have more cash for better mods in other areas.

burk
18-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Is there, I'll have to check it out. Thanks a lot mate!

chasw7
18-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Yo, these guys do kits. The 1.8t isnt your only option, althoug it probably is the best for economic performance.
http://www.tsr-performance.com/

I know a guy that has used this garage, he speaks very highly of them. Im sure you must have seen them advertised in mags.