PDA

View Full Version : Sticking

Jum
18-03-2007, 06:02 PM
I have just had the throttle jam open on my new A6 2.0 TDi.

This has destroyed the engine and almost killed my family.

The car is 2 weeks old.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Huweth
18-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Oh dear, thats not good!
Glad you are OK.
Do you know the cause of the fault? Was it electronic or did oil get drawn into the engine from the intercooler? Thats a pretty spectacular failure!

RickT
18-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Is it a auto or manual??

Thats not good news, at least you and your family are fine thats the main thing!

What happened?? ie.. timeline of events??

Whats happened to the enigine?? these will run at full PRM till the rev limiter kicks in for a short while..

RicKT

Huweth
19-03-2007, 01:18 AM
I'm guessing some oil got into the intake from somewhere. As its a diesel, and so made to burn oil, the engine will combust the oil resulting in the engine revs climbing uncontrollably. No matter what the ECU does it can't be stopped even if you take out the key. The only chance you have of stopping it is putting it into top gear and slamming on the brakes in a bid to stall it, but thats going to be tough to do if you're on the motorway. You'd probably overheat the brakes before you managed it.
There must have been an oil seal failure. Lets hope this doesn't become a common story with such a new engine!

Jum
19-03-2007, 03:05 AM
Hi

First of all, thanks to all for your prompt replys.

The events that led to this were as follows... Doing about 40 mph in 4th gear, the car started to accelerate and I checked that I had not caught cruise.

I had now reached 60 mph, tried dipping the clutch and the engine reved violently, started to hit the brakes which helped but the car was still pulling strongly (And no handbrake). The car hit a speed bump which rather threw me and then headed to a roundabout.

9.30 am and the roundabout was by luck, free of traffic.

I didn't want to kill the ignition as I didn't like the idea of the already fading brakes or the power stearing becoming useless.

Got around the roundabout, stuck the car in 6th, slowed to a reasonable speed and then took the car out of gear and hit the brakes.

This was just prior to the pop which I guess was a big end going through the block.

Sounds a little dramatic but I was brought up in the motor trade and it scared me silly, I don't know what my wife would have done.

I have checked for recalls...0

I hope to find out from Audi (Monday) what went wrong. If this is a problem other drivers should know.

Whocantellyer
19-03-2007, 01:50 PM
I had a fault which stopped my car, once repaired it has taken me weeks to regain the trust in the car that it will not readily break down again.
On a scale of one to ten, that probably rates a two, what happened to you must rank to the ten.
I hope that Audi do the decent thing and re-supply you with a new car, glad that you managed to control such a nightmare occurence safely, maximum respect to you for that.

bora(ing) nick
19-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Full respect to you for keeping a cool head....and stopping the car in a "Controlled" manner... you'd never expect anything like that to happen in a 2 week old Audi.

Versprung Deutch teknik my a$$

S2AVANT
19-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Sounds like an oil seal failure in the turbo, as mentioned above. The oil is burnt by the diesel engine and the only way to stop it is to put it into gear and apply the brakes. The ignition will not stop it.
It quickly burns all the engine oil and then your engine kills itself.
2.5tdi turbochargers are known to be problematic.
New engine and turbo should be provided under warranty.
Ask them if there was any oil in the intercooler and how it got there.

Jum
19-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Just to bring all up to date.

For all those who guessed oil intrusion to the inlet... pat on the back.

For those that guessed the turbo and yes oil was in the intercooler, top of the class.

Audi have yet to come back to me officialy but I have been told that I will have my car back with new engine, turbo, brakes and clutch by Wednesday. (will post if they do).

Once again, thanks to all who responded. It's only your 3rd party confirmation of the problem that has led me to even consider taking the car back.

Regards to all

Jum
24-03-2007, 01:09 AM
Huddersfield Audi have replaced engine, turbo.......and everything.

Picked up the car today and its spot on.

They and Audi assist have been great throughout the whole incident.

However, the people I bought the car from, Teesside Audi (Sales manager) suggested today, "that if I didn't want to take the car back, he would refund all my money and that I should go and buy a BMW as there is a 12 week lead for a new replacement A6".

Left speachless.

Thanks to all at Huddersfield Audi and customer services for their help.