PDA

View Full Version : Headlight bulb removal

jonsey24
21-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Im having a nightmare trying to change both of my headlight bulbs in my Passat.
I have done a search on here and looked at how to do it but they bulbs will just not budge.
It appears on the previous post that there is a butterfly style clip that you grab and twist anticlockwise to release the bulb along with its housing.
When i have looked at mine i dont have this clip just the housing and the 2 prongs of the bulb sticking out to which the wiring harness connects.

Does anyone have any tips on how the hell i remove these bulbs before i take a hammer to my car

jonsey24
21-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Anyone help?

quattrogmbh
21-03-2009, 09:17 PM
on mine, a 2009 Model Year, its a twist anti clockwise for about an 1/8th of a turn to release the bulb

I believe the holder may have changed between 2008 and 2009 MY as HID retrofit kits advertised for the B6 passat dont seem to fit my vehicle.

jonsey24
21-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Yes my Passat is a 2005 B6 and it appears to have the push and click fitment to the housing.
For the life of me i cannot remove them, does anyone have a tip for getting the lightbulb housing out cause it wont budge with my hand pulling on it.
My knuckles are grazed to high heaven and my ego is bruised please someone help a guy before i do something to the Passat im going to regret

pendle wizard
22-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Hi m8 i have a 2006 b6 passat, my bulbs were tight to remove i left the wiring plug on the end of the bulb to give me something to hold on to and just kept gently wiggling till they came out ( mine are the push/click type).
Had to borrow my daughters hand-held mirror to get them back in.

gazza007
22-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I used this for ref

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?&id=2706234

jonsey24
22-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Ive followed the guide on the VWvortex and its for the twist and pull fitment no use to me.
I thought i needed to just pull on the housing but didn't want to be heavy handed and break something.
As long as i just wiggle the housing im hoping it will come loose and come out

whitless
22-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Hi there, I've just had exactly the same problem this week, trying to replace the dipped beam bulbs in my 2005 Passat. Basically you have to grab the bulb and keep pulling until it gives, I thought I was going to end up breaking it but eventually the rascal gave up! Doesn't help that on the offside the water bottle is so close. As someone told me, you will get scraped hands and arms but stick with it and victory will be yours! Good luck!

jonsey24
22-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Just to update everyone, i could not budge the drivers side main headlight bulb it was stuck solid.
I tried pulling with pincers on the bulb and snapped off one of the prongs so i then only had one operating headlight bulb.
Before i threw in the towel completely i had a brainwave and decided to give the bulb a housing the smallest of sprays with WD40. I left it to hopefully work its magic whilst i had my roast dinner and rather hopefull i went out around 630pm on the off chance somthing might happen.
I gently grabbed the wiring connector as it was only connected to one prong and with the slightest of wiggles the bulb came out smooth as silk.
I have now changed my headlight bulbs to the Osram cool blue and i am happy with the result the light effect now is a more crisp white light with the slightest hint of blue to it.

JOB DONE!!!