PDA

View Full Version : Engine Check Light

kellysangels1
20-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Hu Guys,

I see this is a common subject in this forum but need a little help.

I am a new owner of a 2.0ltr X Reg Bug (and by new I mean little more than 24 hrs!). When I originally test drove the beetle I saw that the Engine Check light was on. I spoke to the car salesman and he advised that the car would go through a full service on purchase and not to worry!

I picked the car up yesterday and true to his word a service was done, the lengine check light was no longer lit and I drove away happy! However tonight, whilst driving back from the shops the Engine Check light has come back on and won't go off....Is this a known fault with some beetles or shall I take it back to the garage? I am just worried as I am due to drive 200 miles to my sisters tomorrow so am unsure whether to take the bug or not!!

Thanks in advance
kelly!

Col
21-03-2009, 01:08 AM
It is probably an emissions related problem. Probably a lamda sensor fault which is not uncommon.

Obviously as you've just bought it, you need to take it back the garage and you must insist they sort it.

Difficult call though about the journey. Probably be ok but I don't want to say that in case it isn't. You really need and should get it back to the garage.

hawkip
22-03-2009, 09:35 PM
My girlfriends beetle keeps showing up the engine management light aswell
I have taken it to the garage to get the faults read and this is what it came up with.
Any ideas?
(P1141) 448D load measurement signal improbable
(P1152) 4498 mixture adaption, range 2 (bank 1) mixture too lean
(P1165) 44A5 mixture adaption, range 1 (bank1) mixture too rich
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/applied/misc/progress.gif
<LI class=smallfont>Edit (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/visitormessage.php?u=81451&do=message&vmid=1628)
Report (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/visitormessage.php?do=report&vmid=1628)

kellysangels1
30-03-2009, 02:14 PM
I have taken the car back to the garage and it is the lamda sensor and going to be changed next week!! Yay, fingers crossed it works!

xerian
30-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Good luck with that and lets hope that is it! My wife's engine light comes on fairly frequently on her 1.8 beetle for a unrelated reason...water temperature sensor...must get round to doing it soon.
A month ago I had to have both of the lamda sensors replaced on my W reg Bora 2.0 (same engine as yours) to get it through it's mot....£304 in total just to replace them!!...ouch!

kellysangels1
31-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Really? Wow well lets hope thats the end of it then, if not I hope it all goes wrong now as its still in Warranty with the garage

xerian
31-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Fingers crossed!!....enjoy your car.

VAGMAN54
04-04-2009, 05:25 PM
why both sensors ? did it fail the cat test ? or a lambda test....interested as to why both was changed

xerian
04-04-2009, 05:40 PM
It failed on every single emission test!!.....may have been ripped off by having both changed but it flew through the emissions test afterwards!!
Can only do as the garage suggests...I am no car mechanic!
At least it is legal for another year!!!

VAGMAN54
04-04-2009, 07:12 PM
ok only asking .....legal or its got an mot ..umh 23 years as a tester and there is a difference