PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Boot lid problem on 2005 Beetle

nic_e_nou
20-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Help! The boot lid on my 2005 Beetle catches when closing so doesn't shut properly. In order to get the boot to shut, I have to slam the boot lid hard. I have tried WD40 on the catch on the boot lid and the catch on the car but it doesn't seem to help. Unfortunately, this is having a knock on effect on my rear indicators which sometimes do not work, I suspect due to me having to slam the boot lid and the connection being disrupted. Before I pay the garage to look at it, is anyone able to help?

Thanks so much for your time.
Nic

zf44
21-03-2009, 11:38 PM
I don't think the problem with your bootlid is related to your indicators: we had a 2005 Beetle with faulty rear indicators which failed time after time. It was working fine in the first year of ownership but in the final months it failed continously. The dealer replaced the bulbs, wiring and anything else we could think of but it continued to fail. As we were planning to replace it for another Beetle we won't worried that they couldn't find a suitable solution. Our new 2007 Beetle has been trouble free. About the boot lid, we find by closing the bootlid by pushing around the VW badge never closes it properly so we always push down the edge of the lid which is alot more successful. If that doesn't work it has to be taken to the experts I'm afraid.

Andrew Sweeney
18-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Help! The boot lid on my 2005 Beetle catches when closing so doesn't shut properly. In order to get the boot to shut, I have to slam the boot lid hard. I have tried WD40 on the catch on the boot lid and the catch on the car but it doesn't seem to help. Unfortunately, this is having a knock on effect on my rear indicators which sometimes do not work, I suspect due to me having to slam the boot lid and the connection being disrupted. Before I pay the garage to look at it, is anyone able to help?

Thanks so much for your time.
Nic
I don't know how to cure the problem but the boot lid will shut first time if you either leave a car door open or leave a window open a bit as you shut the boot. I bought a VW Beetle 2005 from new and wrecked the lid before the dealer unearthed this "fix". Attempts to cure permanently included leaving the car with VW dealer for a month.
KR
Andrew