PDA

View Full Version : Buying a MK2 1.6 Golf.

barny
18-03-2007, 02:52 AM
Hello,
I come to this fountain of wisdom seeking assistance from anyone who has more experience with the above car than i do, which i expect is most people given that i have none at all.
The time has come for me to move on in the world and get myself a car, instead of relying on my mothers punto, and a mark 2 golf appeals greatly. Obviously i would love a GTI, but i cant afford the insurance, so a 1.6 it will have to be for now.
However, before leaping in at the deep end and getting the first car i can find, i would like to ask a few questions.

Firstly, do you think this would be a good buy?
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=none&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=VOLKSWAGEN&min_pr=75&source=0&model=GOLF&max_pr=&miles=100&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=bs40+5rq&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=16&ukcarsearch_full.y=3&start=6&distance=62&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200711275666795
Obviously you cant really judge it without seeing it in the flesh, but it looks pretty sound to me in the advert. Does the price seem reasonable?
Alternativly, have you seen anything yourself that looks like a good buy?

Secondly, are there any problems i should be looking out for? like worn gear boxes and the like?
Also, bit of a vague question this one, i appreciate that, but what sort of condition would you expect an engine of this age and mileage to be in? Obviously you wont be able to tell from the advert alone, but perhaps someone whos seen a lot of these engines will know that its likely to have worn piston rings and lost compression by now or somehting.

Thirdly, how much do you think it would cost to run? Do you have any ideas on how much new parts would be? Also, any idea on how much MPG you would expect it to return?
And finally, what are the differances between the CL and the Driver models, apart from the bodywork? I understand the Driver has a close ratio gear box, but are there any differances in engine performance or handling?

Anyway, if anyone could help me i would greatly appreciate it.
Cheers,
Chris.