PDA

View Full Version : Colour Coding Exterior Plastics

DSGMATT
19-03-2009, 07:06 PM
As per thread title - has anyone on the forum done this to their car?

I am looking to have the black texturised parts on the Bumpers and the Sills colour coded Reflex Silver. I know that McColl's car (Also Reflex Silver) has had this done - as per his reply on the 18 - 19" Wheel thread - he bought it like that. It looks as effective as buying a R Line kit and appears to be much cheaper.

So has any member completed this to a passat - if so how did yor bodyshop get round the texturised finish and roughly what costs are involved. I will be approaching a few good bodyshops but wanted some background beforehand.

Regards, Matt :D

dieseljames
19-03-2009, 07:12 PM
I too would like this look on my car - it's quite common for T5 transporter owners to paint their bumpers which have a very similar texture- I think they use plenty of primer to build it up to a smooth finish?

damo140
19-03-2009, 09:42 PM
This can be hit and miss, over the years I've seen many good and bad jobs done, get in touch with a body-shop and ask them for their advice

james_tiger_woo
20-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Am not sure what you mean... Have you got an "S" spec'd car that doesn't have chrome and you want it chromed?

DSGMATT
20-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi James Tiger,

No I have the 57 Sport Model Passat - with all the chrome thanks, Please see picture below of McColl's car for an idea of what I want to do:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/picture.php?albumid=324&pictureid=1101

See how the lower plastics are all colour coded - versus the original black finish.

Regards, Matt

james_tiger_woo
20-03-2009, 11:25 AM
My apologies, I misunderstood your point.

It looks nice - although I think it's going to work best on lighter coloured cars. Mine's deep blue, so I don't notice the black plastics quite as much.

I think a good paint shop is the way/place to go :)

Lemonslap
20-03-2009, 03:43 PM
I lot of work to do tbh will need to flat the plastic using wet and dry then seal it good day or two in the body shop so approx £500

jonsey24
20-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Those wheels on the Silver passat are gorgeous

hairypothead87
17-05-2011, 05:26 PM
its best done with filler primer its proper thick so u can then sand smooth and spray it u have to spary the bumper like