PDA

View Full Version : 1998 A6 Alarm problem

Loz1066
17-03-2007, 07:35 PM
I have a '98 A6 with an intermittent alarm fault. The alarm has taken to going off with no apparent reason. The sounder in the boot has now been disconnected so I don't become a noise nuisance. An auto electrician has been out and was unable to help. Anybody have any ideas or am I going to have to bite the bullet and visit the main dealer?

guyg
17-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Is there anyone near you with a VAGCOM, there might be some useful falut codes.

I had a similar problem and eventually found water in the sounder device itself - mine was in the plenum chamber. This is [hopefully!] unlikely since yours is in the boot, but check out door, boot and bonnet switches and damp/wet electrics and freyed cables etc.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Guy

Loz1066
20-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks for your reply.
Definitely not the sounder. This is disconnected(so as not to wake the folks next door). Someone has plugged in and he told me he was getting alarm 15 or R15, or something, when he interogated alarm causes. I know there is no water ingress to the alarm unit itself, as its cubbyhole in the floor is bone dry.

buster
23-03-2007, 09:45 PM
I had this problem.

I took it to Poole Audi who charged my some money to fix it. They fitted a new siren as the battery in it had died causing the computer to think that it had been interfered with.

It still went off when it felt like it.

I took it to a auto electrician who had it for two days and was too embarrassed to charge me as he could not fix it.

I took it back to Poole Audi who told me that they would fix it. When I went to collect it, the mechanic (or whatever they call them nowadays) came out with the keys and assured me it was fixed. It then went off behind him!

They kept it for the whole of the following day but failed to fix it.

Slowly, over the next 6 months or so, it got better on its own.

I gave it an affectionate name of 'beep beep'

If I was parking up for the night, I would just leave the tailgate on its first click to stop the alarm arming itself.

Drove me mad for a while though.

dc.ivimy
30-04-2008, 09:55 PM
can anyone tell me where the sounder is located in the boot of the avant model as i cant find it and the sounder does not work.
regards
daniel

Loz1066
04-05-2008, 05:24 PM
I would imagine it to be behind the left hand panel inside the boot area. At least that is where it is in the saloon.