PDA

View Full Version : Lee Conroy

lee conroy
23-12-2005, 12:38 PM
My VW Golf 1.9L Diesel (1998 estate model) often cuts out completely when accelerating, usually between 25 - 60MPH (very rarely in 5th gear). The problem started when I had it serviced in April 2005, the day later it first cut out and occurred every week until my next service in August. I had it in the garage on 4 occasions during this period and they could not find the problem on the diagnostic machine or through trying various tests. After my second service in August I then experienced the problem less and I put this down to an oil change, blaming the garage who first serviced it using the incorrect oil during that first service. However it has cut out regularly recently so that theory is now out, and unfortunately I fear the problem may be electrical.

When it cuts out, I turn over the engine a few times and then it starts again often on the 4th or 5th attempt and I can go for miles without it re-occurring (recently I have done over 2000 miles between the problem occurring). In summary when it cuts out, I loose power completely, the oil light flashes and I have to stop the car and keep turning the engine over until it fires up. It can’t be jump-started when it cuts out which makes the process slow and annoying. However this week, for the first time, it temporarily cut out when driving on the motorway at 70MPH which is a first as to date it seems comfortable when racing along at high speed. Whe it cut out on the motorway, I then started to vere off to the hard shoulder but the engine came back again, as if I had jump started it. This to me suggests that it may be some kind of timing issue, i.e. something has gone out of sink but then as the car was travelling so fast, it has 'rebooted'. I don't know, I am completely lost. Has anyone out there experienced this problem or suggest what it could be?

Cheers
Lee