PDA

View Full Version : Thule 970 Express Pro Any Good???

Mini Mark
19-03-2009, 10:50 AM
I've been looking at various options for carrying bikes on the back of the golf it has a tow bar so I've been looking for a tow bar mounted carrier the one I really like are the ones that the wheels sit on the bars but they are expensive so I'm considering the hang on ones are they any good?? How stable are they??

Flying Scot
19-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Not sure about this model as I opted for the Thule 9503 version that the bikes sit on. I bought mine a year ago and they seem to be a lot more expensive now. I paid about £80 for mine.

The mechanism that they use to fix onto the ball is very secure and easy to fit/remove from the car. I regularly do 150-200 mile motorway journeys with mine and I’ve never had any problems. I usually carry 2 adult bikes and 2 kid’s bikes on it with ease. Without the bikes on I can stand on the frame and it doesn’t move at all and feel really secure. This one also has the number plate and lights built into the unit, sp there’s no need for additional light boards.

Mini Mark
19-03-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm looking at the 2 bike version which I can get for about £85 are they easy to store when your not using them?

Flying Scot
19-03-2009, 02:17 PM
It is quite a heavy lump to be honest. I keep mine hanging on a wall bracket in the garage.

Mini Mark
30-03-2009, 09:16 AM
I've just brought the 9503 Ride On Rack as I got a good deal as my friend is having a removable tow bar fitted to her New Mini next week and has also brought a towbar mounted bike rack so we got a good deal £110 plus the lock to lock it to the towbar all in £122 :approve: not bad when a well known motoring store wanted something like £160 for the 9403 version!!

Not assembled it yet as don't need it for a while but it was to good a deal to miss.

They tried selling me the lock to lock the bikes to the carrier but I have loads of bike locks:D

Flying Scot
30-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Don't leave it too late to put it together, it does take some time

Mini Mark
30-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Don't leave it too late to put it together, it does take some time

I'm leaving that to my brother he's good at that sort of thing:D

PFJones
05-05-2009, 09:28 AM
HI

we wrote this page to help explain the pro and cons to all types of cycle carriers (http://www.pfjones.co.uk/advice-centre-/cycle-carrier-advice/choosing-the-right-cycle-carrier-.html)

If you see anything we missed please post here

Forum discount is 5% , code is in the PF Jones section of this forum

Calor Gas Manchester (http://www.pfjones.co.uk/calor-gas-manchester.html)