PDA

View Full Version : A6 Quattro tyre advice sought...

HBA4345
18-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Just got my new (to me) A6 2.7 tdi quattro on Friday. Rear axle has brand new tyres, fronts are down to 4 to 5 mm. All corners are shod with Pirelli P7's (I think?)

Any advice on the tyres this car likes?

Any definite no no's (eg putting same sized tyres on front axle but different brand and tread pattern)?

Shouldn't have to change the fronts for a while yet hopefully but as it's my first 4wd car I'm trying to get genned up on it!

paul b
19-03-2009, 01:36 AM
Just got my new (to me) A6 2.7 tdi quattro on Friday. Rear axle has brand new tyres, fronts are down to 4 to 5 mm. All corners are shod with Pirelli P7's (I think?)

Any advice on the tyres this car likes?

Any definite no no's (eg putting same sized tyres on front axle but different brand and tread pattern)?

Shouldn't have to change the fronts for a while yet hopefully but as it's my first 4wd car I'm trying to get genned up on it!
I'd always keep the same tread pattern on the same axle. Front can be different to the rears, but right and left should be the same on each axle. Doesn't have to be but its my preference.

I've not got a Quattro but my A6 is good with Bridgestone Potenza RE050As, if you can't fit them I'd go for Michelin Pilot Primacy/Pilot Sport 2s.

You get what you pay for regarding tyres. I wouldn't touch Continentals, they're just too hard.

HBA4345
19-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Cheers paul b, I'd figured that keeping the same make on the axles was best, just wasn't sure how twitchy different brands front and rear could be. Some makes (BMW) just go to pot with different tyre combo's front and rear.

Just makes it a tad more expensive changing brand if you have to do all 4 wheels at once :crying:

Ditto on the conti's, they do last a good long while though. Was thinking of trying out Falken's, they are supposed to be a well regarded choice for quick saloons.

paul b
19-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Cheers paul b, I'd figured that keeping the same make on the axles was best, just wasn't sure how twitchy different brands front and rear could be. Some makes (BMW) just go to pot with different tyre combo's front and rear.

Just makes it a tad more expensive changing brand if you have to do all 4 wheels at once :crying:

Ditto on the conti's, they do last a good long while though. Was thinking of trying out Falken's, they are supposed to be a well regarded choice for quick saloons.
I've not tried Falkens but looking at the tread pattern its similar to Goodyear F1s, the side of the tyre may wear quicker than the inner side.

Firestone are also good, they're a sub division of Bridgestone and make good tyres. Unfortunately not many people seem to sell Firestone.

HBA4345
21-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Got a bit of life left in the fronts yet, time to do a bit more research anyway.
Cheers for the replies.

Issac Hunt
22-03-2009, 09:15 AM
The Conti's on mine are rubbish. Only covered 7k on them and they are nearly ready for replacement!

I'll be fitting Michelin PS2's when they are worn out, had these on my last Audi and they lastest for ages, road noise seemed lower than the Conti's as well.