PDA

View Full Version : Turbo noise maybe

nicktl1000
21-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Hi Can any body help please I bought a Bora tdi 150 2003 its done 60,000 miles it has just had the servis and cam belt done at VW. I asked them to look at the turbo because I thought it was very noisy they said it was fine nothing wrong but maybe I should of been more specific, at about 2000 rpm it sounds as if air pressure is escaping and then it goes as the revs rise and when I change gear I get a psst! Sound, do they have a dump valve (where is it in the engine bay) and could this be at fault? I can hear the turbo whistle but I think this is something different there does not seem to be any lack in power it is just the extra noise. Hope I have explained it ok

stuart
21-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Hi, Thanks for joining the site :)

I would look for an air leak in the pipework, maybe from the intercooler, turbo, all the inlet pipes etc. sounds like it could just be an air leak.

I think they do have dump valves, but if they are the same as the petrol engines, these vent back into the system, so no noise should be heard.

Stuart

kimsue
23-12-2005, 08:42 PM
I would not trust VW opinion of faults. I have a Sharan TDI that has had a whistle sounding coming from the engine when revved. My friends didnt do this so I took to VW who twice suggested it was the gas recirc valve which they change. The sound did not go away They then said it was a noise from the turbo and they will change it under warranty as it should not whistle when reved in the cold.

Mildred
27-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Hi,

Just picked up my Bora 150 on a 52 plate with 52K (4 days ago) and have exactly the same noise at just under 2000 revs which goes at about 2700 - should i be overly concerned?

Mildred

glynnd
29-06-2006, 08:18 PM
I now have this noise on my 03 130 tdi passat. Most noticeable in 4th and 5th gear at just under 2000rpm

:biglaugh: