PDA

View Full Version : looking to leave the VAG collection

RickT
17-03-2007, 02:19 AM
looking to leave the VAG collection

guys... im looking at getting a 55 plate Impreza to replace the Audi A4.. ..... sorry... lol.....

I will still be a VAG memeber with my little 2006 New shape polo!!

Im still not sure what to do... go with a fast car only... or go for a fast ish/ four rings..

i was looking at a A3 2.0T or a Impeza... it is all up in the air at the moment but i would like any advice..

and before you say it... MPG.. etc.. i know!!

RickT

guyg
17-03-2007, 09:42 AM
I must stress the the following is only my personal opinion, so please don't be offended!

I think people make judgements [although they shouldn't] based on how we dress, what we look like and the kind of cars we drive and whether we like it or not, I think we also make statements by the choices we make.

To me, the Audi says understated quality, subtle but cool. Maybe get an S3 if you want to go quick.

As a regular car, I think the Impreza implies you have something to prove. A great car for track days and the like...

But where I live, most of the Impreza drivers I see are young teenage lads wheelspinning around carparks an night time.

I guess this depends if you're bothered what other people think.

I also once had to spend a week on a residential course with an Impreza owner and he talked about his car the the whole damn week, so perhaps I've just had a bad experience!

Cheers

Guy

NicholasP
17-03-2007, 09:48 AM
I can't give you a technical point of view.

However, if it was me deciding I would definately go for the Audi.

The Impreza is a very quick car. Very highly tuned, and probably alot of fun to drive.

However to me, it's not really a serious car. It looks like something pulled off a rally track (which it is!) and therefore doesn't really look elegant or stylish. It's too boy racer...

The Audi is a solid car. Interior dash is just dam solid, as you know from your A4. It's a good looking car as well and in my opinion commands respect. Power wise, ive travelled across europe in one and its got a more than decent amount of power. You could get it chipped as well if that wasn't enough, or stretch the budget to the S3 :D

Ive always been a German car lover. They're built to last!

A3 would be my choice

Eshrules
17-03-2007, 10:04 AM
ive just got one thing to say ......:hitwithro

LOL seriously though, as much as i like the impreza for its sheer power and fun on road... i've always seen it as the poor mans evo (rightly or wrongly) if it were me.... id get the 4 rings and a cheap old skool for a bit of fun... older scoobies are fairly cheap to pick up from what ive seen, could even get an import... but then if you're doing that, you could get a skyline, or even a decent evo :aargh4: hmm i see your predicament

davegwynn
17-03-2007, 01:31 PM
No suprise as to the recommendations on here then! I would have to go with the A3 too - perhaps largely due to other peoples attitudes. You are probably going to have fewer lads in ratty Novas racing you at the lights, less people keying/stealing your car and more people letting you out at junctions in the A3. Having said that *moves back out of rock throwing range* for the same money I would think the Impreza would be much more fun - and have more of the 'glancing out of the window to see it on the drive' feel than the A3.

Sam
17-03-2007, 01:38 PM
You'll miss the build quality and finish of the Audi if you defect to the Saabaru.

m4xmw
17-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Id say the Impreza is a great car with 1st class proven mechanicals.

Only trouble with them is as standard they seem a bit lifeless(not slow).

I`ve had an early classic, some friends (SMACS on scoobynet) have all modded their fairly new Imprezas too.

The minimum to make the best out of the car is a full new exhaust inc downpipe( with or without a sport cat?)
A remap by Andy Forrest...

Thats what makes the car what it should be. Ie more drivable(as well as nice bhp gains)

There doesnt seem to be any added reliabilty issues by upping the BHP and in fact make the engine safer due to it being custom mapped.

Hope this is of some use?

Regards
Mark

stuart
17-03-2007, 06:33 PM
ive just got one thing to say ......:hitwithro

LOL

And me.......

YOUR SACKED!

abusive language will not be tolerated:D

MalcQV
17-03-2007, 10:47 PM
I like Japanese cars so am biased. I have not had a Impreza but love the sound of the flat four. My pal owns a 2.0 Turbo Forrester, I love the car.

You ask this question on a Subaru forum and will get a different answer as I am sure you know.

My answer it simple. Cars are like music we all like our own thing. As a petrolhead go with you heart, you are going to live with the car not your audience ;)

MalcQV
17-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Spot on, but proberly not for long if you buy a Impreza :p

I still think I would be happy with one.:biglaugh:

RickT
17-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the imput from all, Its still up in the air and im wanting to go for it but still in 2 minds.....

Yes the running costs can be high and the service intervals were once at 6k.. however this have now bee lifted to 10k... it depends how its drove i guess...

As I have friends in the trade servicing etc is not an issue... its just the 22mpg!! lol

Im at the stage now were i think if i dont go for one i may regret it... I have wanted one for many years, a mate of mines cusion have a WRX STI V99 Type RA, 3 door with roof hatch and ever since i went in that i have been hooked......

Going back to a post from eshules that the Impreza is a poor mans evo..... yes the evos hold there money better.. but that can be said about any car... even in the VAG range... ie... Leon Coupra R, 225 bhp? could that be clased as a poors mans R32 or S3 regarding poer etc.....

RickT

stuart
17-03-2007, 11:35 PM
ie... Leon Coupra R, 225 bhp? could that be clased as a poors mans R32 or S3 regarding poer etc.....

RickT

Mmmm I have had a 2003 Leon Cupra (not R), plus my current Leon 2.0TFSi, and think they are very good cars.... I did read a thing similar to the above on another site, one reply was....

A sensible mans VW! which I thought was a good reply.. maybe biased... on 3rd Seat now.:)

My 2003 Cupra, was a combination of Golf & A3, the interior, apart from the hazard switch was A3, Engine fitted to 180BHP TT's AUQ engine Code, suspension/running gear Golf MK4.. Cost almost £16000 on the road inc met paint... equivalent VW or Audi...£20K plus.. for a badge;)

MalcQV
17-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Have you read my post early on this ? as this is what we thought, and my husband (Andy) loves them just could not live with one after that.

I did, I think you dis-liked the hard ride. My point, was one man's (or woman's) poison is another's meat :p. My wife owns an MX-5 with quite a hard ride but not a problem for me or her, it is her daily car. My old Italian job :D:D is one heck of a hard ride, but I have no problem driving it all day long :approve:.

If Rick does not buy it he will wish he had later methinks. You gotta do it, this ain't no dress rehearsal.

Buy it, buy it, buy it......

RickT
17-03-2007, 11:54 PM
lol!! i know... i have passed the impreza on my last 3 cars buys....

To be continued...

RicKT

MalcQV
18-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Hi Rick,
I don't know if my little bit of input is going to be much help to you,but here goes :Blush:

We had a Impreza for two weeks it was a friends of our`s we only had it while they went on holiday but as Andy was looking into buying one p-x`ing our BMW in we thought it would be a good idea to drive it around, our friends did not mind, i can`t tell you to much about the car as im not sure :Blush2: all i can say is it was a 2.0 turbo stw (i think thats right) :Blush2: it was a lovely blue i do know that much :p the car to look at was lovely ( we thought) and very very fast and at first we both loved it and was smitten but then after a while the drive started to get a bit tiresome it was very firm and bumpy which got just to uncomfortable for us plus i remember to fuel costs were high , one other thing we found was every boy racer on the road was always stuck right up our rear and this was happening all the time , which un nerved us as we have two small children in the car with us 90% of the time, one other thing Andy checked into was service cost`s something about short service intervals and high prices , but when we weighed at all up we decided against , the main reason was the tiring drive and constant young lads up your rear end, like i say this might not mean nothing to you but thought id share Lisa x

This is excellent advice BTW. :beerchug:

RickT
18-03-2007, 12:41 AM
This is excellent advice BTW. :beerchug:
I agree..

RicKT

SoulTaxi
18-03-2007, 01:41 AM
Hi Rick, don't know if my two penneth is worth anythin to you but here goes.. I borrowed an R reg 2.0L Impreza while my A4 was in for repair. Although not a hot version like the WRX it was still quickish and the steering was positive, and had good feel, and handling was ok for standard suspension.. Must admit I was a bit nosey as to how a hot version would drive.. As it happens on my way home from work some lucky bloke pulled up beside me in an Impreza P1.. Prodrive tweaked, the works.. It looked understated and damn cool.. But looking over enviously I noticed the same cheap, plasticky intereior as on my much less horny loan car, (ok it had nice recaros;) ) but dash and trim was a tarted up version of what I had the displeasure of living with for 3 days!! Build quality was a little suspect too but then this was an older car.. Having said that my 96 A4 cabin is still a pleasant and insulating place to be after all it's miles.. I suppose if you can live with this coupled with the other negatives mentioned before, but coupled with an undoubtably awesome driving experience?? eeeh it's a tough one i think??!

NicholasP
18-03-2007, 04:55 AM
im still not sure how this is a difficult decision. In my opinion we all like our different breeds of cars. Some like quirky little french models. High reving Italian models, sleek english models, american muscle, asian tuning, and german quality.

I really love solid cars. German cars always have that lovely feel and smell in the cockpit. Especially the newer models..The A3 interior is built to last, pleasing and safe to be in, and it feels like every £ you paid for it

Yeah ok, all these eastern rice cars may be technical masterpieces but at the end of the day, when you drive your car, you gotta sit in the thing so therefore I think being surrounded by a solid interior coupled with a robust engine, and a very decent driving experience should be important factors.

no other breed of car does it for me like a german car and honestly, give me a rice car that does 0-60 in 2 secs and id still choose the a3

Sam
18-03-2007, 10:09 AM
You'll miss the build quality and finish of the Audi if you defect to the Saabaru.

Is it not spelt Subaru ?:p

They twinned up to make some cars, here's one

http://www.azcentral.com/class/marketplace/cars/0612wheels12saabintro.html

Lame attempt at humour, it obviously passed right under the radar though :p

RickT
18-03-2007, 10:21 AM
cheers

guyg
19-03-2007, 12:01 AM
This is getting interesting!

By my reconing we have 10 opinions so far, 6 Audi, 2 Impreza and possibly 2 on the fence depending on how you read [or want to read] them. I think some of us may be biased!

It would be interesting to pose the same question on a Subaru forum...

Good luck Rick, whatever you choose...

Cheers,

Guy

RickT
19-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Cheers.... looks as if it maybe delayed.... just spent just short of 3k on a holiday today!! lol!!

MalcQV
19-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Holidays they are important, sometimes more than a car ;)

The comment on the dash I concur, that was one of the reasons my better half declined on a Subaru.

Lisa, I reckon taking my wife along when buying a car has stopped me on two occasions from buying a lemon ;).

I can only comment on my pals Forrester as I never went in his Impreza Sport that often, but the Forrester feels very well put together.

I would also say having had a good few Japanese cars in my time that they are IMHO put together very well, and my only criticism is the quality of some of the plastics and styling of the interior.

RickT
11-03-2008, 12:36 AM
looking to leave the VAG collection

guys... im looking at getting a 55 plate Impreza to replace the Audi A4.. ..... sorry... lol.....

I will still be a VAG memeber with my little 2006 New shape polo!!

Im still not sure what to do... go with a fast car only... or go for a fast ish/ four rings..

i was looking at a A3 2.0T or a Impeza... it is all up in the air at the moment but i would like any advice..

and before you say it... MPG.. etc.. i know!!

RickT
#

I am now going though this stage again....

Dunno what to do really... lol

Rick

paul b
11-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Buy an A4 with a big engine? 3.0 Quatrro or something? An S4, if funds are allowing? Come on Rick, make the right decision ;)
Paul

RickT
11-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Buy an A4 with a big engine? 3.0 Quatrro or something? An S4, if funds are allowing? Come on Rick, make the right decision ;)
Paul

Funny you should say.... been looking at B6 - S4...

Dunno yet with the house on the market though...

Rick

paul b
11-03-2008, 01:26 AM
I am into property development myself. All the rediculous stuff you have to do these days just to sell a house is horrendous!
Paul

MalcQV
11-03-2008, 09:14 AM
You know what I think Rick. Go with your heart on this, get the car you want because if you don't you will always wonder.....

I love the Subarus, not quite the same I admit but I wanted a Legacy instead of my Passat and I will fight for something like that next change with Mrs QV ;)

EVO or Impreza then :p

Mind you an S4 is tempting with that V8 4.2........ :p:p:p

cpiddy7
11-03-2008, 10:12 AM
I think if you go for the Impreza you'll be very happy with it to start of with. But a few months down the line i think you might have second thoughts. I really don't think i could cope with Chavs wanting to race constantly and getting pulled over by the Fuzz every two minutes would do my head in. Id go for an S3 or S4. You should do what i've done. Get a mate that owns one and talk himi in to letting you drive every now and then. You win both ways then!

darkhorse1001
11-03-2008, 12:49 PM
if you really wanted an honest debate about an audi/subaru decision you wouldn't be posting on an audi forum.

subconsiously your mind is already made, you're just waiting for the reasoning of a dozen biased audi fans to reassure you....

MalcQV
11-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Darkhorse I am not so sure he has...

RickT
11-03-2008, 04:44 PM
if you really wanted an honest debate about an audi/subaru decision you wouldn't be posting on an audi forum.

subconsiously your mind is already made, you're just waiting for the reasoning of a dozen biased audi fans to reassure you....

its not a case of that.... is more about knowing what other people think who may have owned one etc..

Anyway... im like a yo-yo... think i may put it on hold for the moment again.... (unless i see something! LOL)

Rick

darkhorse1001
11-03-2008, 06:08 PM
i only jest.

strange how the subaru has made such a name for itself from 4wd rally sport, its not like anyone in the vag group can boast that kind of sporting heritage.

no one in the vag group is going to (as stated above) make you feel so cosseted, cosy and safe (safe from the tacky glare of poor quality plastics and rattles as well as the outside world) as those famous subaru interiors.

everyone would stare in amazement at your huge gold alloys, spoilers, splitters, bonnet vents and perma-capped driving lamps, and then turn their attention from that car wrapped around a tree, to the police arresting the chav for stealing it, and then back to the road they are passing on in their piece of understated german engineering. safe in the knowledge that its one of the hardest cars to steal on the road, should anyone even realise its true potential.

but then buying a car is never just about using your head,
the descicion is always swayed with passion,
and it's surely both those forces that lead us to audi.

buy your subaru, i'll bet you're bored and frustrated with it in less than a year.

paul b
11-03-2008, 07:10 PM
i only jest.

strange how the subaru has made such a name for itself from 4wd rally sport, its not like anyone in the vag group can boast that kind of sporting heritage.

no one in the vag group is going to (as stated above) make you feel so cosseted, cosy and safe (safe from the tacky glare of poor quality plastics and rattles as well as the outside world) as those famous subaru interiors.

everyone would stare in amazement at your huge gold alloys, spoilers, splitters, bonnet vents and perma-capped driving lamps, and then turn their attention from that car wrapped around a tree, to the police arresting the chav for stealing it, and then back to the road they are passing on in their piece of understated german engineering. safe in the knowledge that its one of the hardest cars to steal on the road, should anyone even realise its true potential.

but then buying a car is never just about using your head,
the descicion is always swayed with passion,
and it's surely both those forces that lead us to audi.

buy your subaru, i'll bet you're bored and frustrated with it in less than a year.
Of course VAG can boast that sporting heritage. It was Audi's idea to use 4WD in rallying, hence why the Audi Quatrro was the first 4WD world championship winning rally car. Subaru and Mitsubishi followed thereafter. Also can you argue with Audi's sporting history in ALMS racing? How about putting together the first diesel to win in Le Mans?
You are entitled to your own opinion, but this is just mine.
Paul

redmax90
11-03-2008, 08:11 PM
hi mate,
Im a big fan of impreza's. They sounds great and are fantastic to drive.
But...theres a few problems. Fuel economy ..it doesnt exist, Servicing and maintenance costs..unbelieveable, Second hand values can be poor and lastly ..the most important thing...imprezas have rubbish rubbish engines!!
Find a nice STI or WRX with 70 k plus or even below ..that hasnt had a new engine. It doesnt seem to matter if they are ragged or not..even ones that are maintained exceptionally well. The worst seem to be the P1 and the jap import STI's. If its had a properly forged rebuilt engine it may well be worth a shot..but the choice is yours. The have problems with the crankshaft not being properly straight which causes massive stress ont he bearing shells and on top of that they suffer from oil surge during hard cornering. Its entirely your choice ..but i fear you might regret it. If u want the impreza's daddy and fancy a bit of old school quattro charm have a look for a clean Audi S2 coupe, preferably with the ABY engine and 6 speed box.
Good luck :o

darkhorse1001
11-03-2008, 08:13 PM
i jest again, the legend of quattro is not lost on me....
nor is the lemans winning streak.

what is lost in me is the appeal of a car that has to shove all that in your face every time you look at it.

Clinterous
11-03-2008, 10:35 PM
As someone mentioned a while back, why not retain the Audi, and buy an older impreza for the weekend!

As an A6 diesel owner, I keep toying with the idea of getting an impreza wagon for getting me to the beach on weekends with the surfboard - Ideal for dispatching the traffic along the Devon/Cornish lanes.

But then, there's the image...I don't want to turn up at the beach looking like a yobbo.

redmax90
11-03-2008, 10:58 PM
why tho ?? why buy an impreza for the weekend?? Go and look at an S2 coupe or S2 avant ..2.2ltr 5 cylinder turbo quattro. Legendary engine, legendary car... and dont think that an impreza will dispatch with traffic faster than it ..it wont ! :D fantastic machine..

look for yourselves
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/385811.htm

Coupe

and

avant

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/375160.htm

Impreza ??? yea right :biglaugh:

paul b
12-03-2008, 12:39 AM
S4, S6? Who says it has to be an Impreza. One thing though, I much prefer an MR2 over an Impreza. My mate had an Impreza, he got rid after 12 months because he couldn't stand being followed around everywhere because there was always somebody who wanted to nick it. Also, he does about 25k a year, so the awful fuel consumption of an Impreza wasn't to his liking. He now has an A3 Sportback Sport 170bhp. Enough said.
Paul

MalcQV
12-03-2008, 01:41 PM
We can all give opinions on what car you should have for the weekend. It is great to listen to personal experience, but I know for this sort of thing you must follow your heart. Weekend cars are not about reliability maybe not even pure performance. It is about the experience.

BTW my mate has had 3 Subarus over the years, Legacy, Impreza and Forrester. He has had something done on cylinder 1 (I think) on both the Impreza and the Forrester under warranty. Other than that they have been ultra reliable. Unlike my Passat it does not leak like colander, the car has never let him down. He is not waiting for the next problem to appear and the car is slightly older than mine.

Oh and his weekend car is a 1970 Dodge Charger, the Forrester Turbo the reliable fun everyday car ;)

redmax90
12-03-2008, 05:32 PM
hi. that problem he would have had is main bearing shell replacement. Its very very common in subarus. Fine if the car's under warranty like your mate but that cost of having that job done if the car is out of warrently is out of this world. The engine has to come out to get that done..most subaru's that have problems like that wil begin to knock loudly at idle, usually around the 60k mark. The usual dealer solution to this problem is to fit a new engine. Many many many RB5's and P1's have new engines before you would even consider a VAG product being run in. As you quite rightly said its everyone's own preference but id much rather invest my money in a product that engineered correctly and have mechanicals built to take a thrashing if the owner so desires. The problem with your passat is fickle and frustration i agree..and its quite common but you can be rest assured you will never ever hear that passat's engine knocking! :o