PDA

View Full Version : Getting flashed in Avant SE

markp306
17-03-2009, 08:59 PM
I read a few posts where S-Line drivers (Xenon HID) mentioned getting flashed at night.

I have an SE Avant with Halogens and have also been flashed (car unloaded). Anyone else experienced this?

I've just set the headlight level to position I for now.

B8 TDI
18-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Headlight Level 0 is meant for an unloaded car, 1 and above is meant for various loads. if you use 1 on an empty unloaded car then the lights may be aimed a little high.

2.7 S-line
18-03-2009, 02:13 PM
isn't that backwards ? :confused:

- a loaded car will 'sit down' at the rear pointing the headlights beam up

- so the switch will point them further down (to compensate for this loading effect - so reducing headlight range if you car isn't loaded)

B8 TDI
18-03-2009, 02:26 PM

- so the switch will point them further down (to compensate for this loading effect - so reducing headlight range if you car isn't loaded)

Yes :o

markp306
18-03-2009, 02:47 PM

Thats what I understood too, hence the question.

Just to clarify, the car was unloaded at the time (apart from me), so I thought setting 0 would be OK - at least until I put something or someone in the back.

I'll just wait and see if any other SE drivers comment, otherwise it could need a checkup at the dealer.

zollaf
18-03-2009, 02:51 PM
if you pop down to your local friendly mot testing garage, and ask nicely, they will hopefully use their beam setter to check your aims. make sure the car is unladen, and the adjuster set to 0.this would probably work out a bit cheaper than going to a main dealer.

mr109
18-03-2009, 06:21 PM
if you pop down to your local friendly mot testing garage, and ask nicely, they will hopefully use their beam setter to check your aims. make sure the car is unladen, and the adjuster set to 0.this would probably work out a bit cheaper than going to a main dealer.

If you're getting flashed go to the dealer and ask them to have a look at it. It should cost somewhere in the region of nothing.

Al

mkc
20-03-2009, 08:42 PM
It wouldnt suprise me if the lights are perfect and its more to do with you having lights on during the day. Some idiots on the road who want to have a pop at you for having DRLs on regardless of type. I just flash back if im quick enough,

you think these LEDs are bright check this out and ill pull the stick. Stupid I know but its not as if the A4 is the first car to have DRL and now with some new A3s on the road with them its not an uncommon site to see DRL

A1287210
21-03-2009, 06:51 PM
A3's, A4's, A5's and I saw an A6 today with a set that looked as though they had been taken off the new Porsche Carrera. Just a line of LED's running horizontally under the main cluster of lights it may have been a Le Mans special edition.

mkc
21-03-2009, 10:43 PM
The RS6 has a row of LEDs but ive seen plenty of Ebay specials on old Jettas and Passats............. they look like blue disco light tubing. Got to laugh, you cant polish a turd put you can put a sparkler in one.