PDA

View Full Version : Passat 130bhp 1.9 Auto (Tuning)

ronmcintosh
17-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi Guys,
Just after a bit of advice, my folks have just bought a low mileage 2005 Passat 130bhp Diesel Automatic (I dont know the model details too well) It appears to be a bog standard auto box, no fancy tiptronic or sport settings.

What can be done to tune this without upsetting the auto box, at the moment it is gutless and far from good on fuel, driven very gently on a run it will get 45mpg. I would have thought that even in an auto it would be easy enough to get 50 when cruising. I am not looking to to have something that burns away from traffic at the lights, but more in gear torque would be nice

Any advice greatfully received
Ron

DSGMATT
17-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Hi -

I am a new member/ owner too. I have the Sport model (170) DSG which has covered 8000mls. I have a similar gripe regarding fuel economy too - I had expected more than the 40mpg average than I currently get with mixed driving. I put it down to my car having the 170ps engine - hence more power and less economy. I am surprised that you are also having less economy with what I thought was the more frugal of the engine range (1.9). I am hoping that the engine will increase economy wise as the mileage increases and after 1st service.

Anyway regarding your tuning question - I have experience with BMW and Vauxhall diesel tuning and you will get a mixed review. Some people swear by the 'Tunit' or DTUK tuning boxes that fit in line onto the injector rail. I have used them and they give a good increase in power and also economy. However I have also seen reports of damage linked to fitting the boxes over long periods - from over fuelling. bore wash and turbo/ DMF failures. I recently sold a 5 Series Msport which I had properly re mapped and rolling road session - more expensive but safer when completed properly and accurately.

I am sure that some other members will have opinions on the above - as a DSG owner I for one will not be attempting to 'tune' the engine.

Regards, Matt :D

angus
17-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi Guys,
Just after a bit of advice, my folks have just bought a low mileage 2005 Passat 130bhp Diesel Automatic (I dont know the model details too well) It appears to be a bog standard auto box, no fancy tiptronic or sport settings.

What can be done to tune this without upsetting the auto box, at the moment it is gutless and far from good on fuel, driven very gently on a run it will get 45mpg. I would have thought that even in an auto it would be easy enough to get 50 when cruising. I am not looking to to have something that burns away from traffic at the lights, but more in gear torque would be nice

Any advice greatfully received

Ron

Ron, if its a 1.9 with 130bhp, it will be a B5.5 model. The B6 doesn`t have a 130 bhp oil-burner.
Try posting on the other part of the site that deals with this model as I`m sure you will get a better response. Does sound like your AMM may be goosed, but you will get more informed replies on the B5.5 section.