PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good size roof box for a golf?

tommytello
16-03-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm gonna measure the roof of the car tomorrow but I was just wondering is there a good size for a golf Mk5 roof. I want quite a big one but wonder if it is a bad idea if it went over the windscreen a bit.

Any one got any views on this??

Cheers

Tom

Ben
16-03-2009, 11:02 PM
the roof bars seem a bit too close on the car to hold a roof box. I have bars for mine.

Personally, i'm of the opinion, if anyone needs a roof box, then they have too much stuff. I mean, i've seen sharans and alhambras and A6's with roof boxes.

tommytello
17-03-2009, 12:22 AM
I understand what you mean, but I struggled this weekend with all the paraphernalia what goes with having a baby. Went to the in-laws and with two small cases, baby bath, travel cot, baby changing bag, pushchair etc.. the wife and I just fitted in.

We're thinking of going camping in the future, we'll no way gonna fit a tent sleeping bags inflatable mattress (yes we're softies) on top of that :aargh4:

NickPicks
17-03-2009, 02:31 PM
I understand what you mean, but I struggled this weekend with all the paraphernalia what goes with having a baby. Went to the in-laws and with two small cases, baby bath, travel cot, baby changing bag, pushchair etc.. the wife and I just fitted in.

Did you manage to fit the baby in?

I found that we quickly worked out what we didn't need to take - the baby can be bathed in the normal bath or the sink (depending on size).

Now mine are older, we can manage for a weekend with just a large holdall between the four of us. Plus the rest of the A6 boot filled up with shoes, boots, toys, books and games!

Eshrules
17-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Personally, i'm of the opinion, if anyone needs a roof box, then they have too much stuff. I mean, i've seen sharans and alhambras and A6's with roof boxes.

yeah, I agree, you've got wayyyy too much stuff if you need additional attachments to carry your stuff, I mean, I've seen golfs with towbars fitted, brings a whole new meaning to 'People Carriers' :p

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/17082007300edit.jpg

Col
17-03-2009, 06:40 PM
What a load of old cack :p

Just wait until you have kids, then post back as to weather a roof box is neccessary.

Ben
17-03-2009, 08:35 PM
yeah, i agree, you've got wayyyy too much stuff if you need additional attachments to carry your stuff, i mean, i've seen golfs with towbars fitted, brings a whole new meaning to 'people carriers' :p

< image removed>

git;)

Eshrules
17-03-2009, 08:36 PM
git;)

thought you'd like that ;)

Ben
17-03-2009, 08:41 PM

We're thinking of going camping in the future, we'll no way gonna fit a tent sleeping bags inflatable mattress (yes we're softies) on top of that :aargh4:

i take some of it back, I too drive a mk5 and the baby is due in july.

Maybe i'll get a box to put on my (dads) rack.

(yes, it is me in the picture):Blush:

EDIT: baby = good reason for an Avant.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/customavatars/avatar3014_34.gif (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=3014)

Col
17-03-2009, 09:07 PM
i take some of it back, I too drive a mk5 and the baby is due in july.

Maybe i'll get a box to put on my (dads) rack.

(yes, it is me in the picture):Blush:

EDIT: baby = good reason for an Avant.

Its a natural progression, I to once had a Golf and loved it, never ever thought of an estate.

Then I got a Passat Esate and now have an A6 Avant.

You might not like the idea of it but you will slowly and without noticing it, start turning into your Dad. I actually like having the Estate / Avant now, if you'd suggested that to me 10 years ago I'd have laughed at you.

Ben
18-03-2009, 09:43 PM
i'd switch to an A4 avant 55 plate tomorrow if i was made of money. Its gotta be the face lift version, i don't like the look of the new B8

Col
18-03-2009, 09:53 PM
i'd switch to an A4 avant 55 plate tomorrow if i was made of money. Its gotta be the face lift version, i don't like the look of the new B8

You can't EVER change car.

Something to do with being called Golfmk5gttdi I'd say limits your choices.

Ha, it is the car forum name equivalent of getting and still having a tatoo of an ex girlfriend.