PDA

View Full Version : gearbox

bikerdog
16-03-2009, 08:30 PM
hi all hope your well?.i was driving the other day came to a stop and all was fine.went to pull away and no drive.feels like it going into gear but when the clutch cums out nothing.got the car home had the wheels off and felt the drive shafts and they feel fine started it again and theres a grinding noise cumin from the gearbox.am i rite in thinking its probably knackered?? is it a common fault?.wot other boxes fit a 51 plate seat alhambra 2litre petrol manual. and is it a easy job? all help appreciated.
dean

zollaf
16-03-2009, 09:09 PM
its very unusual to loose drive, just like that.were there any warning sounds, does the clutch feel normal?i would start by starting the engine and putting it in reverse, and have someone apply the footbrake, then look from the front to see if you can see a driveshaft turning. this would rule out a broken cv, although normally these only break when pulling away on a lock.it could also be the clutch broken up, but again you normally get some warning for this to happen. i doubt it is the box, but anything is possible.