PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for Mk VI GT (140) TDi?

WeegieBob
16-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Is anyone having difficulties getting insurance companies to recognise the GT (140) Tdi title for the new Mk VI?

I can find the Mk VI S & SE on their web sites, however they only list on many occasions the GT Sport 140 Tdi from 2007 onwards, not the 2009.

So far I've got quotes for Protected Fully Comp from £700 http://www.scottishvag.net/phpBB3/images/smilies/lmfao.gif to £225 http://www.scottishvag.net/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_thumright.gif

WeegieBob

HHGTTG
16-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Is anyone having difficulties getting insurance companies to recognise the GT (140) Tdi title for the new Mk VI?

I can find the Mk VI S & SE on their web sites, however they only list on many occasions the GT Sport 140 Tdi from 2007 onwards, not the 2009.

So far I've got quotes for Protected Fully Comp from £700 http://www.scottishvag.net/phpBB3/images/smilies/lmfao.gif to £225 http://www.scottishvag.net/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_thumright.gif

WeegieBob

Strange you should mention this. About 3 weeks ago, shortly after I had placed my order for my new 1.4TSI SE, I phoned Morethan, my insurance company, and asked how much extra would the premium be for this car when I get it. After re-iterating the model type, once or twice, the person taking my call said that she could not find it, as yet, on their database.......hmmmmmm.

I hope things improve by the time I get my car.
:(

WeegieBob
16-03-2009, 09:03 PM
..... the person taking my call said that she could not find it, as yet, on their database.......hmmmmmm.

Yeh, I had the same issues since February as well, eventually being told I had to wait until 1st March before the new tables would be released. Yet remarkably one of the lowest quotes I got for the right car type and year was from the "red telephone on wheels" company weeks before any of the others were even willing to give a quote.

I spoke with one company who's representative could even grasp the concept of a retention certificate and that my reg number was now on one. She even went on to actually tell me the DVLA was wrong as her records showed it was still on my daily driver - yet I transferred my reg onto a RC nearly 3 months previously! :1zhelp:

Talk about a lottery!

vdubdavy
16-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Elephant quoted me £53 on top of my current policy, they didnt seem to have any problems listing the car.
You could always give them a try if you havent done so already.

WeegieBob
17-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Thanks Davy - I'll give them a try. ;)

WeegieBob

knt
17-03-2009, 06:22 PM
I would guess the insurance will be similar to he MKV with the same specification ie power, acceleration etc... Apart from that the other major factor will be where you leave your car parked during the day & night times and your job role.

Griff449
17-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I had problems when looking at quotes also especially if you dont have the vrn for a new shape model.............. Was told to call if encountering probs finding the right model on the web. Think the problem mainly comes from the supermarket type web searches.

HHGTTG
17-03-2009, 08:31 PM
I phoned Morethan again today and explained the problem I'd had a few weeks ago and the lady said they only have them listed as generic VW Golfs and therefore are only interested in the year of manufacture, engine size/type, model designation and ultimately the Reg. No. when I know that the car is in.
In this case I said I had ordered a new 2009 MK6 VW Golf 5dr hatchback 1.4TSI SE worth about £18k with optional extras.
She looked it up and said there wouldn't be any change in premium over that which I had already paid in March, however there would be an administration charge of £15 (don't know where this comes in).

WeegieBob
17-03-2009, 09:07 PM
She looked it up and said there wouldn't be any change in premium over that which I had already paid in March, however there would be an administration charge of £15 (don't know where this comes in).

Administration charges come in where you alter a detail on an existing policy - when I put my private plate onto the retention certificate and told my insurers that the car was returning to its original number they charged me £25 just to alter the reg number on the policy - easy money if you ask me! :mad:

WeegieBob.

knt
18-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Administration charges are usually another way for them to get extra money from you. Better insurance companies don't charge this fee.

WeegieBob
18-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Administration charges are usually another way for them to get extra money from you. Better insurance companies don't charge this fee.

Don't buy AA's insurance then. :(

WeegieBob.

slo007
18-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Lowest quote I have is 770 GBP on a GT 160 with 0 NCB and foreign driver's license (company: Cardinal). Other companies are asking double or triple that amount! :mad:

WeegieBob
24-03-2009, 09:30 PM
The Co-op came up with the eventual best deal for me - £266 protected comprehensive with a £150 excess. :D

WeegieBob.

maisbitt
01-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Elephant quoted me £53 on top of my current policy, they didnt seem to have any problems listing the car.
You could always give them a try if you havent done so already.

I wouldn't touch Elephant with a bargepole! A bus swiped my lawfully parked car (previous car) a few years ago and caused £6000 damage. It was a totally non fault claim on the bus company insurance, just a month before my renewal. Elephant wanted to put my insurance up from £450 to £850 a year, despite no fault and full no claims (none of which was lost). I wouldn't have expected a hike like that unless i'd negligently run someone over!

If they treat their customers like that for a non-fault claim, i'd hate to think what they'd do to you for a fault accident.

knt
01-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Most insurance companies will put up the insurance in the event of any accidents regardless whos fault it was, even with some cases of No Claim Bonus protection.

WeegieBob
01-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Most insurance companies will put up the insurance in the event of any accidents regardless whos fault it was, even with some cases of No Claim Bonus protection.

I'm in that position right now where the new policy has a rider "NCD affected" and even though I've had protected cover for years, despite telephone calls to both insurers old & new I don't seem able to get a straight answer as to why my NCD is affected when both incidents my cars were invloved in were paid in full by the third parties insurances - no fault attached on my part. I wasn't even in my car in one of the accidents for crying out loud!

I haven't finished with this one and once I have a wee bit more time I'll be writing to both companies asking for a detailed explanation as to this rider. From there if the explanation isn't acceptable and the matter isn't resolved I'll be going to the Insurance Omsbudman.

WeegieBob.

knt
02-04-2009, 07:28 PM
I think it's a standard procedure they use to cover their costs and profits.

Now they have excuses like un-insured drivers will put the premium up for every insurance buyer and the like, but if insurance wasn't so expensive to buy in the first place maybe they won't be so many un-insured drivers about.

I hope you'll get a satisfied response from the insurance companies but I think they'll just reply with standard insurance talk.

The crime rate in your area is also a major factor in the costs of insurance premiums, check your crime index at

http://local.uk.msn.com/localinformation-w6/map?loc=w6&overlays=crime&search=3

search and click on your location for the crime index, the higer the figure the more expensive your insurance will likely to be.

figures between 4-5 will be extremley high insurance premiums and figures between 1-3 will be reasonable insurance costs to most people, although I have yet to see crime index of 1 (I'm probably talking about people with 4 years NCD/B which most insurance companies are using as their mark).

There are also other factors involved but generally a good look to compare.