PDA

View Full Version : Fault Code 00533 and more

davyboy888
14-03-2009, 09:19 PM
I've just run the diagnostics scanner on my 1997 SEAT Ibiza 1.4SE this afternoon and it reported the following 3 fault codes.

o 00533 Idle Air Control Regulation.
o 00519 which is one of three MAP sensor codes, unfortunately my diagnostics machine doesn't tell me which one it is :-(
o 00561 Mixture Adjustment Control.

The car is continually cutting out when I release the throttle when driving around e.g. approaching a junction where I need to stop. Also, it idles eratically, continually moving up and down between about 400 rpm and 700rpm.

I've had a look in the Haynes manual, but unfortunately it only explains how to swap parts out. I've had a really good look around the web and have seen some people suggest removing and cleaning the throttle body for code 00533, but I've been unable to find anything with the sequence I have above. I'm honestly lost on what to do and any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers everyone.

David.

saabsalltheway!
15-03-2009, 12:45 PM
the throttle boby is on the inlet manifold secured with 3 or 4 bolts disconnect all wires and pipes from it then undo the bolts and remove it from the manifold, using carb or brake cleaner spray everywhere inside the throttle body including any holes inside it let it dry then clean it again let it dry then refit it.
if your worried about where things connect to why not take some fotos while your taking it apart.

this should help with poor idling and the other faults
hth paul

VAGMAN54
15-03-2009, 05:09 PM
dont forget to reset the basic settings when you have cleaned it out..

davyboy888
15-03-2009, 07:53 PM
the throttle boby is on the inlet manifold secured with 3 or 4 bolts disconnect all wires and pipes from it then undo the bolts and remove it from the manifold, using carb or brake cleaner spray everywhere inside the throttle body including any holes inside it let it dry then clean it again let it dry then refit it.
if your worried about where things connect to why not take some fotos while your taking it apart.

this should help with poor idling and the other faults
hth paul

Thanks so much for this Paul, I really appreciate it... so you think that the root cause of all three fault codes above is a dirty throttle body ? Is it very delicate ? Do I need to be very careful about contamination of 'external dirt' and the internal parts ? are there any jets etc... to worry about. Sorry about my naievity but I've only ever had experience of removing/rebuilding carburettors. Again, thanks so much for your help with this. David.

davyboy888
15-03-2009, 07:55 PM
dont forget to reset the basic settings when you have cleaned it out..

When you say reset the basic settings, do you mean clear the fault codes ? My fault code reader is an Autel VAGSCANNER VAG305 and I don't think it allows me to do anything other than read/clear the fault codes. Cheers, David.

VAGMAN54
16-03-2009, 07:21 PM
there is a basic setting to realign the throttle body unit after repair or replacement you will need to reset that and not just clear the codes

davyboy888
16-03-2009, 10:10 PM
there is a basic setting to realign the throttle body unit after repair or replacement you will need to reset that and not just clear the codes

Thanks so much for that... is that a physical thing with the throttle body or do I need a machine of some sort to do it ? If the latter, what type of machine is it and is it expensive ?

Really appreciate your help with this.

David.

VAGMAN54
16-03-2009, 10:18 PM
you will need something like vcds or a solus scanner etc,im not familiar with your machine so i dont know if yours will do it,check vag.com user locations somebody near you will probably do it for you

davyboy888
18-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks VAGMAN54... I'm on the case. Thanks again for all your help here.

David.