PDA

View Full Version : Access to locked car?

dickturpin
14-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Can someone please tell me how RAC/AA etc get into locked cars? I'm not looking for or expecting detailed answers but wonder if they carry a universal key fob or something similar? If thet can get in within seconds and cause no damage.....
It's just that I had to smash a window today because the breakdown recovery people said thet wouldn't come.....no homestart cover!:mad:

zollaf
14-03-2009, 02:59 PM
this is usually done by inserting a tool between the door and the shell, and either pulling on the handle or lifting the lock popping up thingy, to unlock the car. there is no such thing as a magic key that opens all cars. before the recovery service will do this, they will get you to sign a disclaimer, so that any damage is not their problem.

Eshrules
14-03-2009, 03:00 PM
If you've smashed the window, I know it's a shame, but the issue is solved.

I doubt there'll be many people on here who want to tell you how to break into their cars.

dickturpin
14-03-2009, 03:23 PM
No, I understand that, and that why I said I didn't want specifics. I just wondered if the breakdown companies had better means than me!

unclebob
14-03-2009, 11:36 PM
when we called RAC out for our polo, they wedged it, and pulled up the lock.

B8 TDI
15-03-2009, 08:16 AM
I've seen them wedge the door open and pull the lock up that way before, the down side is that this will probably cause a permanent problem since th edoor is likely to be bent and will no longer be a perfect seal when closed.

I'd much rather break the window, it doesn't look like it at that moment, butits the best option to prevent any possible long term damage.

Issac Hunt
15-03-2009, 08:33 AM
I've seen them wedge the door open and pull the lock up that way before, the down side is that this will probably cause a permanent problem since th edoor is likely to be bent and will no longer be a perfect seal when closed.

I'd much rather break the window, it doesn't look like it at that moment, butits the best option to prevent any possible long term damage.

I had mine wedged open when the Mrs locked the keys in it. They just used a small airbag to open the door frame, took about 2 minutes and no damage at all - easier and cheaper than smashing a window IMO!

zollaf
15-03-2009, 08:49 AM

hence the disclaimer you have to sign

NickPicks
15-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Smash the window, then get it replaced under the window cover on your insurance.

Tip - wind down windows are easier to replace yourself than glued in side windows.

jon dee
16-03-2009, 02:09 AM
Last fri my wife managed to press the deadlock button then put keys on the back seat with her handbag and purse then shut the back door!!! fortunately she hadnt left her mobile in car!! so she phoned me to let me know. The alternatives were: a) smash the window and retrieve keys b) find a spare key c) get a window fitter to take out a window in estate section (A6 Avant)retrieve keys then re-fit window d) call AA and see what they can do. after considering all options called out AA. The patrol man arrived immediately got on top of situation. got his platic wedges out and his wire and hook!!and within five mins rear door was prised open and keys were retrieved and car was opened!! no damage whatsover. patrol man said that all car doors have plenty of give and that hed never damaged a car yet. earlier Autoglass had told me smashing window should be last option and if not smashed by a third party ie police, AA etc then my glass cover would not be valid. i also called independant local glass fitter who said for around £45 he could take estate window out then put it back. Tried to get spare key from Audi but that would take 7-10days. The answer to locking your keys in car(I know that wasnt quite the original post) is call out AA or have a spare key handy.

regards jon

NickPicks
16-03-2009, 09:57 AM
I almost forgot. If you've got the spare set at home, get someone at home to hold the fob close to the phone whilst you hold your phone close to the car door. This works apparently (http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp)!

Captain Answer
16-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Door wedge and a thin tool is fairly standard. A proper lock smith could "pick" older locks. Some will also use SIPS systems against themselves with a half tennis ball over the lock.

Sam
16-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Some will also use SIPS systems against themselves with a half tennis ball over the lock.

Myth Busted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ1jfhaL3Ec)

Legend has it that the half tennis ball works on old vacuum central locking though.

Captain Answer
16-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Myth Busted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ1jfhaL3Ec)

Legend has it that the half tennis ball works on old vacuum central locking though.

Disagree, I've seen it done

dickturpin
16-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks everyone...useful comments rec'd.
I smashed the rear quaterlight and from VW is £18....or £160 from Autoglass...A case of well done to VW I think.... and see how our insurance companies are being ripped off by the windscreen firms!...(The £160 was supply only, before you ask).

DC

Sam
16-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Disagree, I've seen it done

I've seen the half tennis ball trick done on an old French car (pre 1990) but the one on the link above has nowhere near enough pressure to pop the locks.

Another "as seen on TV" trick is to hit the front bumper in the right place with sufficient force to simulate an accident which in turn pops the locks. It probably pops the airbags too ;)

The Fingers
16-03-2009, 01:48 PM
I have seen the debate on this first hand.

I was out shopping in stockport last summer, returned to the car to find a lady with a new audi A6 next to me, she was frantic:1zhelp:. She returned to her car opening the rear door strapped in the baby in his seat, closed the door, hand bag with keys next to baby on rear seat. Whilst messing with shopping bags the car locked itself, she was locked out with baby in car. this was one of those few and far between days when the temp was about 27 - 30 deg C.

We called audi at stockport and within 5 mins (yes 5 mins) they had an striped up allroad on site and with two techs in it, he scratched his head a little and came to the conclusion that the dead locks had engaged and only option was to smash a window.

I actually made the call to them and when the lady said we will have someone with you as soon as possible i was shocked, i must say their service was second to non. The tech guy said the message we got was baby stuck in a sealed A6 on shopping park near portwood, keys locked in car (black)

The baby didn't seem to be at all fussed he had gone to bo bo's in the back and didnt even wake up when they popped the window.

It was baking in the car by then though and i wonder how serious this could have become if left too long.

remote central locking - its the devil:zx11:

Captain Answer
16-03-2009, 02:05 PM
I've seen the half tennis ball trick done on an old French car (pre 1990) but the one on the link above has nowhere near enough pressure to pop the locks.

Another "as seen on TV" trick is to hit the front bumper in the right place with sufficient force to simulate an accident which in turn pops the locks. It probably pops the airbags too ;)

These should sort it...

http://www.fingerlakes1.com/temporary/kolb040607.jpg

hagis
16-03-2009, 02:08 PM
So that's what Roy Walker is up to these days...